Evans transfer update | Page 3 | Vital Football

Evans transfer update

One of the beauties of football is that we can all watch the same games and come to completely different conclusions and opinions.
I certainly do not think Jackson has been our weakest defender this season. I think he has been pretty consistent actually.
I think he gets criticism from some just because he replaced Barry Fuller.
Ogilvie has been at fault for more goals conceded this season that Jacko and the only debate over him seems to be whether to play him at centre back or left back. On several occasions he has lost his man, or switched off and it has resulted in a penalty or a goal.
I think we are fine at right back, though we lack cover if Jackson gets a knock.
It is not that Jackson makes errors he is not around enough to make them.He spends too much time pushing forward for me thus when we concede he is nowhere to be seen.

It is not that Jackson makes errors he is not around enough to make them. He spends too much time pushing forward for me thus when we concede he is nowhere to be seen.

Actually, during his first spell I thought his main problem as that if a ball was played in from the other wing, he would often be found ball watching instead of picking up his runner.

Wasn't that the season where we went a massive amount of games without keeping a clean sheet?

As you say, he does not make many clear errors like short back passes, miskicks or own goals, but seems to lack positional sense and awareness, and can turn off - not good for a defender.

Like Garmston was, he is good going forward and his long throws are useful but he is probably more suited to the role of wing back.

Actually, during his first spell I thought his main problem as that if a ball was played in from the other wing, he would often be found ball watching instead of picking up his runner.

Wasn't that the season where we went a massive amount of games without keeping a clean sheet?

As you say, he does not make many clear errors like short back passes, miskicks or own goals, but seems to lack positional sense and awareness, and can turn off - not good for a defender.

Like Garmston was, he is good going forward and his long throws are useful but he is probably more suited to the role of wing back.
I wholeheartedly agree...... if we had a "real" decent fullback he would probably be a handful for any opposition playing at wingback.

If we want to.make best use of the current players what about signing a back three and have Jackson and O'Connor as wing backs.That could work with Tucker and Ogilvie on each side of a experienced defender. That would allow both Jackson and O'Connor to do more going forward. Play one up top.

Evans has confirmed we are looking for three players, a wideman who can operate on either side, a defender and a striker. Fingers crossed any newcomers will be of similar quality to both Slattery and Lee.