Evans - the 2nd referendum | Page 3 | Vital Football

Evans - the 2nd referendum

Too right LSB2. If its a crap game valencia can go out side in the sun, have a nice evening swim, while those of us at the game walk home in the rain dodging the dog turds that cover the paths of gillingham.

After watching the dogsh!t on the pitch!

Too right LSB2. If its a crap game valencia can go out side in the sun, have a nice evening swim, while those of us at the game walk home in the rain dodging the dog turds that cover the paths of gillingham.

If we have a crap game it ruins my Sunday mornings. I can be found weeping into my bacon n eggs after my early morning swim. I haven’t even got a cat I can kick. Life sucks sometimes.

That's an excellent point.
I'd rarely leave a match early but I confess to switching off when watching the odd away game on Ifollow.
There is no guilt when no one is watching.

I have to admit that my current feelings are little bit more positive. All be it I still feel that Scally has made a mistake for the reasons I and others have already pointed out.It is only a matter of time before it blows up in Scally's face. I have now tried to put a more positive spin on that too.IE If it does blow up maybe that will be enough for Scally to make a genuine bid to sell the club.As for Evans I have only really looked on here and not read or heard his comments over the last few weeks .But it is easy to stay out of trouble at the moment. If the guy was a more pleasant person perhaps I would warm to him .His results record is not the thing that really troubles me.Going forward I feel the appointment will cost Scally far more than it will probably cost us long term .Be warned it could blow up very quickly if Scally can't afford his targets in the coming weeks.So from one point of view I am more positive. But on the other hand he has not had time,reason or matches to have had a bust up with Scally or fans just yet.

To put it briefly I can see possible pluses or minuses in the event of a Scally, Evans bust up .
Which is almost certainly going to happen.
Just a question of when .

I have to admit that my current feelings are little bit more positive. All be it I still feel that Scally has made a mistake for the reasons I and others have already pointed out.It is only a matter of time before it blows up in Scally's face. I have now tried to put a more positive spin on that too.IE If it does blow up maybe that will be enough for Scally to make a genuine bid to sell the club.As for Evans I have only really looked on here and not read or heard his comments over the last few weeks .But it is easy to stay out of trouble at the moment. If the guy was a more pleasant person perhaps I would warm to him .His results record is not the thing that really troubles me.Going forward I feel the appointment will cost Scally far more than it will probably cost us long term .Be warned it could blow up very quickly if Scally can't afford his targets in the coming weeks.So from one point of view I am more positive. But on the other hand he has not had time,reason or matches to have had a bust up with Scally or fans just yet.

I’m glad you are feeling even a little more positive about things Chris. Not worth giving up your passion for Gills over any single person or event. The club will still be here long after SE or PS (hopefully).

And I think most people agree , it will at some point end up in tears. Actually it does with pretty much every manager. But if it is a good ride for a while that would be great.

Regarding Steve Evans personality. It seems from afar, (and from things said by people who know him and also fans at our recent forum and at previous clubs) that he is actually quite a pleasant and personable guy to talk to. He ceratInly spoke very well at the fan meet and in his interviews so far.

His problem is how he goes way OTT during games and seems to have a massive dose of white line fever (even though he doesn’t actually cross that white line). His sidekick Paul Raynor seems equally rabid during the 90 mins and that probably doesn’t help.

I would love it if he could just rid himself of that part of his actions. At least he has admitted it himself (and PS has also said it) that he should calm it down. Time will tell if he can.

Bottom line is, if he wins games it will all be rosy(er) and if he doesn’t, well, that’s when the tears will flow. And very quickly.

I had misgivings about his appointment. But he certainly now has my support during this initial period. He is making all the right noises (and some interesting signings). And if nothing else, he certainly seems very tactically aware and talks a good game.

Last edited:
So far so good but [1] will SE revert to type, ie as his track record at various clubs demonstrates, and [2] how thick or thin will Scally's skin remain if SE does happen to revert to type?

I dont care about his past, or his ''white line fever''. All I care about is does he have a passion for us to win, and he is able to transfer that to the players.

That's what Pulis did , he built a team to get us out of div 2 , and them replaced them again when we were promoted that season.
A decent manager cannot be too sentimental , and it worked.

Horses for courses ,and all that

Precisely. And whilst Peter Taylor one or two good additions to Pulis's squad when he took over in the summer of 1999 (Ty Gooden and Andy Thomson come to mind here) it was essentially a large rump of Pulis's squad that won promotion at Wembley the following year.

Taylor was clever enough not to tinker too much with the squad that he inherited, even where he radically changed the playing style from Pulis's.

I have to say of all the managers out there, the only one I didn't want is Steve Evans. And I hoped that Scally wasn't going to do this, although it was fairly obvious from the outset. Let me quantify this by saying although I can't stand him, I would take Neil Warnock in a heartbeat.

Its laughable on this thread that there are those who don't believe the goings on at Boston. It did happen, the bloke is a convicted crook. There are plenty of truthful accounts of the goings on at Boston out there, and if you don't believe it, I suggest you find them and read them.

Having spoken to many people, including members of his family, most people feel he is a decent bloke outside of football. But once he gets around the football pitch he turns into the odious individual we all know, and up to the last month or so hate.

And sure he will be on the charm offensive. But at some point he and Scally will fall out. I think that's fairly guaranteed. It's the effect on the club that worries me greatly.

I know many season ticket holders, of many years standing that will not be attending another game until he is gone. No matter how successful we are. I don't get to go much these days, but in my 40 plus years of watching the Gills, this will the first time I will ever have imposed an exile on myself. I cannot be a hypocrite and support Evans under any circumstances.

The main gripes I've seen from other clubs fans is regarding the amount of over priced players he brings in, and the very high turn around with said players, and thus destroying them dressing room spirit. And while the signings seem to have potential, and potentially better than what we've seen in recent times, some are, as yet unproven, which is the case with lots of previous managers signings of course. And there is no guarantee they will gel, and be successful.

My hope is that he doesn't leave Gills worse off from his tenure. At least with the control freak that Scally is, its not like he's going to let him control the clubs money.

I don't think he's ever been relegated, but that's because he left Boston before the last game, when that happened.

My hope is whatever happens the Gills don't suffer from it. Good luck to all for next season.

Its laughable on this thread that there are those who don't believe the goings on at Boston. It did happen, the bloke is a convicted crook. There are plenty of truthful accounts of the goings on at Boston out there, and if you don't believe it, I suggest you find them and read them.
Agreed and he was punished; surely, that matter is closed.
And sure he will be on the charm offensive. But at some point he and Scally will fall out. I think that's fairly guaranteed. It's the effect on the club that worries me greatly.
That's been my point since his appointment was first mooted
I know many season ticket holders, of many years standing that will not be attending another game until he is gone. No matter how successful we are. I don't get to go much these days, but in my 40 plus years of watching the Gills, this will the first time I will ever have imposed an exile on myself. I cannot be a hypocrite and support Evans under any circumstances.
Does that mean you won't give Timpsons your custom because the company employs ex-cons?
My hope is that he doesn't leave Gills worse off from his tenure. At least with the control freak that Scally is, its not like he's going to let him control the clubs money.
I'm disappointed that SL wasn't given a chance with funds now available

[QUOTE="Does that mean you won't give Timpsons your custom because the company employs ex-cons?@

I'm not understanding the relevance here. I'm not saying I'm not going because he is a convicted criminal.

I have to say of all the managers out there, the only one I didn't want is Steve Evans. And I hoped that Scally wasn't going to do this, although it was fairly obvious from the outset. Let me quantify this by saying although I can't stand him, I would take Neil Warnock in a heartbeat.

Having spoken to many people, including members of his family, most people feel he is a decent bloke outside of football. But once he gets around the football pitch he turns into the odious individual we all know, and up to the last month or so hate.

The main gripes I've seen from other clubs fans is regarding the amount of over priced players he brings in, and the very high turn around with said players, and thus destroying them dressing room spirit. And while the signings seem to have potential, and potentially better than what we've seen in recent times, some are, as yet unproven, which is the case with lots of previous managers signings of course. And there is no guarantee they will gel, and be successful.

I don't think he's ever been relegated, but that's because he left Boston before the last game, when that happened.

My hope is whatever happens the Gills don't suffer from it. Good luck to all for next season.

Roger Mellie , I cannot wait to come back on here sometime during next season and say " I TOLD YOU ALL SO !!
Steve Evans appointment for me is a breath of fresh air and I'm going to enjoy this ride until it ends

Roger Mellie , I cannot wait to come back on here sometime during next season and say " I TOLD YOU ALL SO !!
Steve Evans appointment for me is a breath of fresh air and I'm going to enjoy this ride until it ends

Well it’s good to have something to look forward to I suppose.

Well said. You are a true through thick and thin supporter unlike this guy.

[QUOTE="Does that mean you won't give Timpsons your custom because the company employs ex-cons?@

I'm not understanding the relevance here. I'm not saying I'm not going because he is a convicted criminal.
Then why even mention [yourself] he is a convicted crook?

I’ve checked the start of the thread. There is no-one on here who said they didn’t believe the goings on at Boston.

I’m the only one who even mentioned Evans’ time at Boston, when at the fans forum he said things were sensationalised in the press -

“And if you believe his words (I do unless proved wrong in future) then at least some of the things written about him were very sensationalised. Ie his “racist” spat with Hess, and maybe even the Boston “doings”. “

Even I didn’t say he was innocent or that I didn’t believe he was a crook there. And 2 or 3 other posters said they didn’t believe him.

So you’ve drawn a pretty long bow there Rog.