Evans - the 2nd referendum | Page 5 | Vital Football

Evans - the 2nd referendum

FFS Stop the 'he's going to Donnie' tosh. We're all supposed to be grown ups. I'll better Skybets odds if anyone wants to put down £100.

Some posters on here need to change the record now surely? It's SO boring !

I don't like Steve Evans and I'm not naive enough to actually believe he is going to change his personality on the basis of a few chirpy interviews bigging up our supporters. Any new Manager would do the same.

However, captainreblue etc. you've basically copied and pasted your posts multiple times regarding boycotts etc. good for you son but the rest of us are just going to try and enjoy the ride. We're Gillingham supporters who are supporting the team, it's not the Steve Evans Football Club so chill out do you really think the majority of us are endorsing his past behaviour? Of course not but that doesn't mean he will not be successful as Gillingham Manager, the man has a few promotions on his CV.

It's laughable hearing those on their high horse banging on about their boycott stance. I'd be interested to know their resolve if we are top of the league come Christmas, draw Man United at Old Trafford in the Cup or what about the scenario of Evans being our Manager for about 5 seasons would they continue to not attend something they enjoy because they're holding a grudge against a 'nasty' bloke? That would be cutting their nose off to spite their face, I'm not sure these 'boycotters' banging their drum have really thought this through?

To be honest it's actually insulting to suggest that we've got no morals just because we're passionate about our football club. Can the anti Evans boycotters actually understand the idea we want Gillingham to win games and hopefully even Promotion without approving of Evans as a a person. It's like banging your head against a brick wall with this argument now.

UTG!

Where have I said I'm boycotting games? I said early on I won't be seeing many games next season due to other circumstances, regardless of whether we're top of the League. I had a ST for thirty years but in the last two years haven't been as much and have found other better family oriented ways of spending my money over that time. This is not a who's a better supporter competition like you seem to be suggesting. Does that mean I now care less than you?

Nowhere have I said others should boycott, its called having an opinion, similar to you (and me) over Scally in the past, but I guess that wasn't you (or me) just spouting the same cut and pasted shit as it didn't suit your argument.

I don't like the bloke and won't support his methods he's used at other clubs to get his success. If he changes, as he's said he will then that's good, but only when the season starts I guess we'll find that out.

Everyone one on here wants GFC to win games I guess the only thing we differ on in how desperate we are for that and at what cost that might be to the longer term future or reputation of the club.

Last edited:
Bromley I think you'll find I and others have thought it through. So let me make it clear to you. I have always said I would not support his appointment. He's the only manager I feel like that about. Although I can't stand the likes or Warnock, Allardyce and Worthington, would I feel like this if any of those were appointed? No. I can't stand the bloke, his methods, and the fact that he is a cheat. Should I become a hypocrite and change my stance, as so many others appear to have,just to win potentially a few more games? Which lets make it clear is no means guaranteed.

So as I said let me make it clear, I will not attend another Gillingham match until he is gone. It doesn't matter if we sign Messi and Ronaldo, get to the cup final, get to a play off final, nothing. So I have thought it through.

And he won't be here for 5 years. I suspect it will start well, as it often does with him. but he will last less than 2 seasons before it all starts to go wrong. Or he'll show what a turncoat he is and go somewhere he perceives as better.

And for those that seem to think I want to be proved right, I really hope I'm not, because the likely long term damage I wouldn't want to inflict on the Gills. I massively hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm not.

Also for those who are questioning my my being a real supporter. Really is that the best you can do? 42 years, many as a season ticket holder, even when I was living 100+ miles away, as I do now. I just will not endorse this man as manager of the club I love. It's called having principles. Some of you should try it.

I suspect it will start well, as it often does with him. but he will last less than 2 seasons is a fans favorite and it all starts to go wrong.

Sounds like every manager we’ve had since My namesake Keith Peacock.

Andy Hess apart (first time) none of them have lasted much more than a couple of seasons. Often less. And none leave on a good note. All are sacked after poor performance or falling out with PS.

I’ll be gobsmacked if Steve Evans is here in 2 years. But it will be an exciting ride while it lasts. CeratInly more exciting prospects than our recent 4 or 5 managers.

Last edited:
Bromley I think you'll find I and others have thought it through. So let me make it clear to you. I have always said I would not support his appointment. He's the only manager I feel like that about. Although I can't stand the likes or Warnock, Allardyce and Worthington, would I feel like this if any of those were appointed? No. I can't stand the bloke, his methods, and the fact that he is a cheat. Should I become a hypocrite and change my stance, as so many others appear to have,just to win potentially a few more games? Which lets make it clear is no means guaranteed.

So as I said let me make it clear, I will not attend another Gillingham match until he is gone. It doesn't matter if we sign Messi and Ronaldo, get to the cup final, get to a play off final, nothing. So I have thought it through.

And he won't be here for 5 years. I suspect it will start well, as it often does with him. but he will last less than 2 seasons before it all starts to go wrong. Or he'll show what a turncoat he is and go somewhere he perceives as better.

And for those that seem to think I want to be proved right, I really hope I'm not, because the likely long term damage I wouldn't want to inflict on the Gills. I massively hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm not.

Also for those who are questioning my my being a real supporter. Really is that the best you can do? 42 years, many as a season ticket holder, even when I was living 100+ miles away, as I do now. I just will not endorse this man as manager of the club I love. It's called having principles. Some of you should try it.
Which is what I've also said. Not repeatedly as accused by some. Not with insults for those who disagree (like some have falsely accused me of). Like Roger and Captain I want what's best for our Club, not just on the field but off it as well. Like Roger I can't accept his appointment without compromising my principles.

I would like to add that I am first and foremost a football supporter.The game involves official's.Abusive behaviour towards a official just because he is a official is totally unexceptable in my book. That is clearly not Mr Evans position.In the same way I am against giving abuse to supporters of another team just because they support someone else .If Mr Evans and Raynor can turn over a new leaf at Gillingham and abide by the rules then I can forgive past behaviour.I await the season with interest but I am not holding my breath.

In the same way I am totally against giving someone abuse because they are a different nationality or religion etc.

Of course Crawley, Rotherham, Leeds, Mansfield and Peterborough are now reviled throughout the football world aren’t they ?

Of course Crawley, Rotherham, Leeds, Mansfield and Peterborough are now reviled throughout the football world aren’t they ?
Eh? Where does Roger say we'll become reviled? He said he's worried about the long term damage to our Club, as in the result of SE's usual procedure of buying overpriced players, paying them too much then leaving us in a poor financial position. Driving away fans who will then not return. Yes, it'll also reduce our popularity amongst other club's fans but not long term (besides, no one cares about us ;) )

Eh? Where does Roger say we'll become reviled? He said he's worried about the long term damage to our Club, as in the result of SE's usual procedure of buying overpriced players, paying them too much then leaving us in a poor financial position. Driving away fans who will then not return. Yes, it'll also reduce our popularity amongst other club's fans but not long term (besides, no one cares about us ;) )

Which players has SE bought ?

How can a player be over-priced if they are free ?

Real fans don't get driven away.

So you’re saying that poor naive Mr Scally would pay over the odds for players because that nasty Mr Evans said so ? Where exactly have you been for the last 20 years to think Scally isn’t in total charge.

Evans has already served his punishment for past transgressions, his touchline antics are mostly due to passion, has passion become a crime.
As for the player recruitment, he gives Scally a wish list, fee's, wages, and terms are down to Scally not SE.

So you’re saying that poor naive Mr Scally would pay over the odds for players because that nasty Mr Evans said so ? Where exactly have you been for the last 20 years to think Scally isn’t in total charge.
Where have you been to not remember the players we were left with after Cooper, Jepson, Stimson, JED etc. and the trouble we therefore had in getting rid and being able to afford half decent replacements...

Evans has already served his punishment for past transgressions, his touchline antics are mostly due to passion, has passion become a crime.
As for the player recruitment, he gives Scally a wish list, fee's, wages, and terms are down to Scally not SE.
Apart from his current four match touchline ban to still be served...

I think we can back up the sugestion that Scally is pulling the shots on signings by the fact Agard stayed at MK.

I am assuming here that we did in fact talk to him about coming to Gills. If Steve Evans had his way we would probably have paid higher wages than MK to get him here. If he is (as suggested elsewhere) on around £5k per week there, then I’m glad we didn’t go overboard and pay that kind of money.