Evans - the 2nd referendum | Vital Football

Evans - the 2nd referendum

ME2blue

Vital Squad Member
Anyone on here who were not into the Steve Evans appointment initially, changed their minds since he's taken over? 0

I wasn’t exactly against, because of his managerial record. However, because of Evans previous “off field” history I’d have much rather had another (any other?) manager with a good record. Not sure there’s one of those out there that we could afford tho.

But I will say I’m now very much ok with him because of the positivity and decent signings he seems to have made. I also like that he fronted the fans in the first week. And although I wasn’t there he seems to have allayed some of the fears we had. And if you believe his words (I do unless proved wrong in future) then at least some of the things written about him were very sensationalised. Ie his “racist” spat with Hess, and maybe even the Boston “doings”.

Im also very impressed with the things he’s had to say about the team, the midfield, tactics, areas to improve, how he wants us to play etc.

Finally, the signings are all pretty positive. I know we haven’t seen them play, and all are recently from other lower div teams (even on loan). But they all appear to have a good pedigree and are the sort of players we need. None are old has-beens, or completely untried at this level. Here’s hoping they turn out the way I’m hoping they will.

A couple more good signings will have me very much in the Evans camp.

To sum up. I was very much a 50/50. Now I’m very much a 70/30 ?

Does that help?

My friend is still sure it will end in tears but might ignore his moral stance and just enjoy the ride for a year.

All looks bright and shiny and I want to believe. It's a bit like someone else; ask again at Christmas.

My friend is still sure it will end in tears but might ignore his moral stance and just enjoy the ride for a year.

It will definitely end in tears. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work that out. Just depends how long it takes.

If it is during this season, we’ll be in trouble. If it’s more than 1 year it will be a fun ride. If it’s more than 2 years, we will have hit some heights in the meantime.

And if you believe his words (I do unless proved wrong in future) then at least some of the things written about him were very sensationalised. Ie his “racist” spat with Hess, and maybe even the Boston “doings”.

I don’t believe his words about Hess or the criminal activity.

I do like the fact he, like Scally, is prepared to face his critics head on. He’s been able to charm a lot of our fans and I’ve also warmed to him slightly. He’s managed to give the answers that people want to hear - either because he’s never done anything wrong or he’s good at telling people what they want to hear. He apparently has done previous charm offensives at other clubs.

My main objection to him was that he’s generally spent a lot of money wherever he’s been and had underachieved at Peterborough so why is he a better option than Lovell who IMO overachieved. This is where I’ve been more won round - when he’s talked about football matters he clearly knows his stuff and comes across better than Lovell in that dept.

Time will tell - I’m enjoying the renewed positivity at the moment but know full well that things can still turn very sour.

We've not had a "proper" management team since Stan Ternent.
As a "excile" I'm really looking forward to my only fixture on Nov 16th. Home or away I'm sure it'll be far better than the dross I saw three years ago.

My main objection to him was that he’s generally spent a lot of money wherever he’s been and had underachieved at Peterborough so why is he a better option than Lovell who IMO overachieved.

Did he underachieve? He was only there half a season and I think they won 8 of their first 9 away games. They seemed to have the same trouble as us at home, though.

When he was sacked they were only just out of the play off positions. That is where they finished with the same players.

Macanthony does some very strange things. Bringing Fergie Junior back after previously sacking him? Then giving his a 3 year contract?

Did he sack SE purely because of dropping home attendances or did they have a falling out? Both are possible.

In answer to the question in the thread title, I am warming to the thoughts he is expressing about the team and the way he is strengthening in the right areas.

I still think there would have been other options that could have done the same but have been less potentially toxic.

I was against and have now moved to benefit of the doubt.
I've had a tenner on promotion.

No. Would have prefered someone else. Lovell given another season or 2 would have been my preference.
Hes here now and I'll support Gills as I have for the last 50 years. If PS is true to form Evans has only got 2 seasons with us max.

Did he underachieve? He was only there half a season and I think they won 8 of their first 9 away games. They seemed to have the same trouble as us at home, though.

When he was sacked they were only just out of the play off positions. That is where they finished with the same players.

I think SE suffered from maybe getting off to too good a start (if that is possible). They got some quality players in (well, spent a lot anyway) and then won their first 5 or 6 games. So I reckon expectations went through the roof.

Peterboro fans on the various forums seemed to want him gone because of their form when he was sacked (think maybe 2 wins in 10 games or something) alongside poor home form especially.

The slight concern I have at the moment is if SE can get us playing well at home when he couldn’t get them doing likewise. And he admitted himself at the fans forum I think that their home form was rubbish.

Despite the sound bites, the look of the signings and the positivity here - No. All too familiar if you look at previous clubs and his behaviour record once ensconced is still that of a person I won't support and don't want at my Club.

He's made a few decent signings and come across better than expected. But I'm reserving judgement until the football properly kicks off.

SE's track record is to start well and, at times, has carried on well but it always seems to end in tears. Hopefully, he'll do well at GFC but we all know that Scally is very thin-skinned.