European Super League | Vital Football

European Super League

No promotion, no relegation, no interest, nothing for the grass roots, no good for supporters with away trips to Madrid, Juve etc instead of Burnley or Fulham. Might sound more attractive but who can afford trips like that every other week?

The end of the league ladder for the sake of greed and TV money.Not for me Thank you.

Hope the idea dies. There's also talk of a 2 yearly World Cup. The greed of football administrators makes the sheiks of Man City look like cautious spenders.

Lets face it. The PL is played between four or five clubs anyway, the rest just make up the numbers. Let them piss-off to a European Super League, make the Champions League a knock out competition again, then the rest of the teams have a chance to achieve something. Look at the Championship and how competitive it is. That could be the PL, and we could be part of it.

Laughable!
This seems to crop up every now and then.
It appears to be some Yank trying to organise it this time along the lines of the NLF.
However, Football Clubs are not franchises (with one small exception).
I just don’t see it working.......... although even more money does seem to have an appeal to some very rich men - but I wouldn’t invest in it - or watch it!

Let's get rid of the super spenders and they can all wallow in this league together - its all about money after all.

Can't believe Man City supporters would actually want this scenario - but hey, who cares....and as less and less supporters actually bother to go to games these days because of TV, does it matter if they can't make/afford a Tuesday night in Milan? (however as the recent Croatia/England match proves, no live audience kills the spectacle).

At least it would give us and others the chance of winning the Premiership when we there - at the moment this stands at zero.

Lets face it. The PL is played between four or five clubs anyway, the rest just make up the numbers. Let them piss-off to a European Super League, make the Champions League a knock out competition again, then the rest of the teams have a chance to achieve something. Look at the Championship and how competitive it is. That could be the PL, and we could be part of it.
I can see that too FKB and did consider it as a way of becoming part of the 'elite' but, even though it levels the playing field,it's a back door way to that and it just craps on the loyal supporters of those clubs from a great height

Loyal supporters can still go to home games and watch away games on telly.
Of course they can FKB but there's plenty who like to go to every game, home and away and will be denied that opportunity.

Having said that there;s a few that can. When I managed the hotel at OT we had a regular who flew from Saudi for every home game!

Sky signed up for Prem coverage etc but will they seek to end the deal if the top 5 leave?

At least a few more Championship clubs might get to the top or will the top clubs demand to be allow to run two teams?

Interesting times.....might even make me take more notice of the Prem.

I'm a bit confused here.
These two statements seem to contradict themselves

"The league would run for 34 weeks, with matches on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, while it is claimed there would also be a knockout round at the end of each season"

"None of the leaked documents contain any suggestion the clubs involved in the breakaway would be forced to leave their respective domestic leagues, thus preserving the status of the Premier League"

How are they going to fit in another 20 games in then??

If it means the so-called elite clubs piss off and start their own league then good riddance, I wouldn't miss them.

The respective leagues they leave will be far better without them imo.

Let 'em have it. The English League system would benefit, in my humble opinion.

The first priority would, or should, be to bar any participation in our domestic Cup Competitions, that should restore some of the 'Wonder' of the F A Cup, or whatever it's called these days, giving a chance of some proper gutsy ties.......Ditch the frankly mind numbingly boring lower League trophy, whatever that is called too.....

Restore some sanity to the domestic transfer market and address the hoovering up of young talent by Clubs, where, let's be honest they haven't a Cat in Hell's chance of making it. Wouldn't the standard be lifted through the League's if these young lads were playing week in week out in meaningful Competition ?

Rant over.

No more Derbys as the Pigs will be inthe ESL. Let the big clubs go, they'll soon be forgotten. I no longer look forward to seeing Barca, R/Madrid anymore, seen them too many times. Very few great games in the ECL anymore. Should go back to the 2 leg games, much more excitement than the mini leagues where everyone knows who's gonna finish first and second.

Has anyone actually read this before getting their soapbox out and starting to rant?

It’s not instead of the Premier League, it’s as well as. I’m not saying it’s a great idea, but it’s not going to take those teams out of the Premier League. Always a good idea to read the whole story before starting to froth at the mouth because the headline suggests change and you’re a Luddite who still wants to see leather balls being used and oranges at half time.

Oranges at half-time??? What will they think of next for Gods sake! Oh, i've heard enough, I'm off to get my pitchfork...

Anyway, if the leagues run concurrently, and you've got your first team playing Barca this Saturday in the Super League, who do you put out in the Premier League vs Burnley, also on Saturday ? The U23's?

Has anyone actually read this before getting their soapbox out and starting to rant?

It’s not instead of the Premier League, it’s as well as. I’m not saying it’s a great idea, but it’s not going to take those teams out of the Premier League. Always a good idea to read the whole story before starting to froth at the mouth because the headline suggests change and you’re a Luddite who still wants to see leather balls being used and oranges at half time.
I watched BT sports news (Sunday from a Saturday night repeat) and they said that the invitation could mean the top teams resigning from
their league and FA. Appears 11 core teams and 5 invitees to make up a 16 team league

I suggest we don't really know the facts just yet mate.

Oranges at half-time??? What will they think of next for Gods sake! Oh, i've heard enough, I'm off to get my pitchfork...

Anyway, if the leagues run concurrently, and you've got your first team playing Barca this Saturday in the Super League, who do you put out in the Premier League vs Burnley, also on Saturday ? The U23's?

That's what a squad is for. How many players do Chelsea have on their books?

I watched BT sports news (Sunday from a Saturday night repeat) and they said that the invitation could mean the top teams resigning from
their league and FA. Appears 11 core teams and 5 invitees to make up a 16 team league

I suggest we don't really know the facts just yet mate.

I'd be surprised if teams could resign from their FA, as it's their FA who control player registration and hand out sanctions etc. I agree we don't really know facts, but the way people are banging on it's like this is a done deal and the likes of Liverpool won't be playing in the Prem any more.

"That's what a squad is for. How many players do Chelsea have on their books? "

More pertinent.

How many do they have on other club's books?

D'ya not think it would be the start of the end of our top League tho Carpe? If theer's enuff money involved it'll happen and as wi our Boardroom struggle i can't effect the outcome so not much point in whittlin abart it mi thinks.Are ya ready for Friday mi owd pal? UTCB

D'ya not think it would be the start of the end of our top League tho Carpe? If theer's enuff money involved it'll happen and as wi our Boardroom struggle i can't effect the outcome so not much point in whittlin abart it mi thinks.Are ya ready for Friday mi owd pal? UTCB
Not really. If we lost those teams there are plenty more to make up the numbers. Might be a bit more competitive and we could see more teams like Leicester winning it. And it's a big if anyway.
Also plenty of people bang on about how shit the Prem is, how it's too full of foreigners and so on. Surely that'd go some way to sorting that problem?