Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 348 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

We seem very vulnerable to interruptions in gas supplies. We’re at the end of a very long pipeline from the Russian gas fields. If the supply slows, the gas being sent to us from European storage facilities will diminish as well.
The Institute of Engineering published a paper eight years ago on the dangers to our energy supplies from under investment in generation and storage. It seems our experts in government failed to notice it. Too many hard words for the average government apparatchik to get their brains round I suppose.

We seem very vulnerable to interruptions in gas supplies. We’re at the end of a very long pipeline from the Russian gas fields. If the supply slows, the gas being sent to us from European storage facilities will diminish as well.
The Institute of Engineering published a paper eight years ago on the dangers to our energy supplies from under investment in generation and storage. It seems our experts in government failed to notice it. Too many hard words for the average government apparatchik to get their brains round I suppose.

There are no votes in competent management of gas storage facilities.

What do the Brexiteers on here make of the government refusing to budge on Brexit immigration rules for European HGV drivers?

One of the few sensible arguments I’ve read is that we can then choose the skills and trades we want, but it seems to me because there’s only European workers who can readily do this job, we obviously don’t want them because they’re the enemy.

I just find it extraordinary, the business Secretary Kwarteng seems like anti-business to me. The situation is pretty serious from what I’m hearing, get your turkeys in early for Christmas you might not be getting any later on in the run up to Christmas.

What do the Brexiteers on here make of the government refusing to budge on Brexit immigration rules for European HGV drivers?

One of the few sensible arguments I’ve read is that we can then choose the skills and trades we want, but it seems to me because there’s only European workers who can readily do this job, we obviously don’t want them because they’re the enemy.

I just find it extraordinary, the business Secretary Kwarteng seems like anti-business to me. The situation is pretty serious from what I’m hearing, get your turkeys in early for Christmas you might not be getting any later on in the run up to Christmas.
Strange isn't it, we have 1000's of foreign drivers here driving vans and their own cars delivering for Amazon. We have deliveroo etc drivers on mopeds and push bikes but we can't get any that have passed a HGV test How about we get Amazon logistic to sort it out?

I suspect we are short of Drivers like we are short of nurses, basically, we always have been but this is just the latest story as covid is getting boring now.

Problem was having in this country is our own people don't want physical work we'd rather employ some eastern European to do the menial tasks for minimum wages. They are the new slave labour.
Then patronise them, pat them on the head and tell them how hard working they are .
I thought the future was Rail Transport not lorries what happened to that .

Don't panic don't go out and stock up with food or fuel

Ha ha watch em go this weekend it will be like black Friday

Strange isn't it, we have 1000's of foreign drivers here driving vans and their own cars delivering for Amazon. We have deliveroo etc drivers on mopeds and push bikes but we can't get any that have passed a HGV test How about we get Amazon logistic to sort it out?

I suspect we are short of Drivers like we are short of nurses, basically, we always have been but this is just the latest story as covid is getting boring now.

Problem was having in this country is our own people don't want physical work we'd rather employ some eastern European to do the menial tasks for minimum wages. They are the new slave labour.
Then patronise them, pat them on the head and tell them how hard working they are .

Having been in a couple of Uber’s in my life, the thought of some of those drivers being allowed loose in a 44 tonne HGV is pretty scary

Having been in a couple of Uber’s in my life, the thought of some of those drivers being allowed loose in a 44 tonne HGV is pretty scary
Spot on mate it's only a few years ago they were moaning about all the Polish lorries stealing their work and causing accidents on the motorways.
I have a suspicion that some of our haulage contractors were hiring drivers and their rigs from Poland, paying them by the load. Their drivers filling up massive tanks of fuel in France and undercutting our firms.
There's a lot of bullshit going on here.

The i is reporting that it has already started with queuing traffic at petrol stations blocking roads.

shortage of lorry driver in Poland as well funnily enough.

still all these jobs going begging there'll be hardly anyone on benefits for sure

Interesting fact Dan, Germany, Poland and others are suffering from the same problem. Why? I don't have a clue, so it's not entirely Brexit. EU drivers and others no longer so keen on the job due to HMRC insistance on all drivers going on the company pay roll from this year. Loads of perks now gone.

Yup shortage all over Europe and wider apparently , so if we entice some overseas to come back over here it's not going to ease the wider problem.

Why don't we offer free HGV training, I think they may have even dropped the Ridgid bit of the test and allowed mere mortal car drivers to go straight to the artic test

Interesting fact Dan, Germany, Poland and others are suffering from the same problem. Why? I don't have a clue, so it's not entirely Brexit. EU drivers and others no longer so keen on the job due to HMRC insistance on all drivers going on the company pay roll from this year. Loads of perks now gone.

I completely acknowledge it’s not all Brexit, which is probably a part of it. Of the 100k shortage, I’ve read circa 20k is Brexit related which feels like a fair proportion.

The Brexit related issue is the government do not want to relax restrictions to allow those who have gone, to come back in. That just feels ludicrous to me.

We’re moving towards a situation where we just aren’t as fluid on our supply chain, products are taking months to ship and the shipments are costing 5-6x the amount. It’s absolutely not Brexit related, but I genuinely think Brexit and the challenges of that are actually worse than what they would’ve been post covid. Whilst covid is the biggest disruptor, Brexit puts us on the back foot massively.

Why don't we offer free HGV training, I think they may have even dropped the Ridgid bit of the test and allowed mere mortal car drivers to go straight to the artic test

This is what I find strange about Brexit. We had perfectly adequate, fully qualified European professionals who come over for a few years with generally little baggage and often went home at the end of it. We’re now so desperate we are happy to stick people from wider in our hospitals and on our roads with deadly weapons if used incorrectly, and we are fine with that?

I just find the whole thing so irrational.

I completely acknowledge it’s not all Brexit, which is probably a part of it. Of the 100k shortage, I’ve read circa 20k is Brexit related which feels like a fair proportion.

The Brexit related issue is the government do not want to relax restrictions to allow those who have gone, to come back in. That just feels ludicrous to me.

We’re moving towards a situation where we just aren’t as fluid on our supply chain, products are taking months to ship and the shipments are costing 5-6x the amount. It’s absolutely not Brexit related, but I genuinely think Brexit and the challenges of that are actually worse than what they would’ve been post covid. Whilst covid is the biggest disruptor, Brexit puts us on the back foot massively.
Totally agree. The whole point of Brexit was supposed to be you can select who you want and don't want. I really think it comes down this Tory administration being totally incompetent. I. also heard on BBC yesterday a lorry driver interviewed saying he didn't want EU labour coming back into the country because they forced the wages so low that many drivers left the industry, so maybe that is also feeding in