Europa League | Page 17 | Vital Football

Europa League

On the marking thing, wee_od, apart from being caught flat footed when a ball is there to be won in the air, our main problem, and it is our main problem because oppo managers always exploit it - their 2nd tonight being yet another prime example - is the effin no-mans land at our back post area from the goal line all the way out to the edge of our box, and beyond. It's like RD and Kennedy don't actually realise the area exists!

Any manager who has watched us even once knows to instruct one or two of his players to head for those areas in either open play and especially at set pieces. The first goal also highlighted this failing, albeit to a lesser extent. But if you attack, move into or, as in the 2nd goal (and others this season!) just fucking stand still in those areas you're almost guaranteed a completely unmarked header or shot at our goal.

It's fucking glaring.

Tic is correct. Everything about how this team is run on the pitch. The toothless high-line of attack and poor defending are as glaring as they are predictable. I believe Deila and Collins think this can work if they just get players to execute it better. It's a loser.

TicV"Establishment" - 22/10/2015 23:07

On the marking thing, wee_od, apart from being caught flat footed when a ball is there to be won in the air, our main problem, and it is our main problem because oppo managers always exploit it - their 2nd tonight being yet another prime example - is the effin no-mans land at our back post area from the goal line all the way out to the edge of our box, and beyond. It's like RD and Kennedy don't actually realise the area exists!

Any manager who has watched us even once knows to instruct one or two of his players to head for those areas in either open play and especially at set pieces. The first goal also highlighted this failing, albeit to a lesser extent. But if you attack, move into or, as in the 2nd goal (and others this season!) just fucking stand still in those areas you're almost guaranteed a completely unmarked header or shot at our goal.

It's fucking glaring.

I'm not going to disagree with any of that but I just don't feel it was as glaringly at fault as it has been in other games.

The first goal Izzy was WAY out of position. That's his problem! What he was doing all the way up there I have no idea!
The second goal, once again Izzy was at fault. He was marking the back post, when Griffiths gets beaten Lustig should have been out to it much quicker but at the same time Izzy is looking around and decides to mark space....why is anyone's guess because there's no danger there. He needs to get himself and out to the free man who ends up scoring!
The third goal is Lustig left with a decision on taking the man in the middle who is the more obvious danger or take the man at the back post and leave the guy coming in to the middle to have a free go at any cross. That means our CBs have been pulled out into positions they shouldn't really be, or not both of them anyway. Where was the midfield getting back to help? It's not Lustig's fault because like Ambrose in the first goal he was left with a problem that just shouldn't be happening!

We have issues all over the pitch. LB, CB and the way in which we attack and defend in general!

That's a problem with our system. We get lots of possession, but the opponents pack the 18-yard box. So the defenders all move up rather than hang back and do nothing. So we have this very high line with full backs playing like wingers. Then there is a long pass and everyone is out of position and sprinting back. Molde can pass and they explited this weakness all game.

Early kick-off tonight. 6pm Celtic Park time.

Starting XI:

Gordon
Lustig - Boyata - Simunovic - Tierney
Bitton - Johansen
Commons - Rogic - Armstrong
Griffiths

Subs: Bailly, Ambrose, Forrest, Blackett, Ciftci, GMS, Izzy

Just saw the lineup. Slightly surprised to see Tierney in the starting XI, but he has been in great form. So has Rogic. We'll miss Brown, but hopefully Johansen can pick up the slack.

I hope Bitton and Johansen can provide nice balance in midfield, not having Brown is an obvious blow but both are good players so should be fine.
I'm glad Tierney is starting, I thought he might but you never really know with Deila. He's in great form and is playing better than Izzy, offers a lot more going forward too!

I think that was an intentional kick to the ankle by the Molde player. They knew we would be weaker without him and knew he had a dodgy ankle.

Blackett coming on to replace him, hopefully he has a good night and hope Simunovic isn't out for too long!

Latest Celtic News