Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 296 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

Just re watching the refs positioning for the penalties is ridiculous he is level with the post for the watkins penalty and even closer for the luiz penalty - then as luiz is about to kick the ball he takes another step closer....

Are Olympiacos any good?

They are 4th in their league this season which isn't great for them but the Greek leagues become more competitive in recent years and they are only 3 points off the top.

I had a look at their squad on Wikipedia and there isn't anything to fear. They have Podence on loan from Wolves, Jovetic formerly of Man City who I thought had retired, a couple of young English lads who I've not heard of. They've also got a Portuguese lad Forest paid 15m for in the championship a few years ago but did fuck all.

We should have too much for them but like many of the clubs we've met along the way in this tournament they are seasoned European campaigners. We will need to bury them at Villa Park because the atmosphere at their ground will be intense. They have a chance at a European final in their own city. We should get through but we can't afford to piss about.

Just re watching the refs positioning for the penalties is ridiculous he is level with the post for the watkins penalty and even closer for the luiz penalty - then as luiz is about to kick the ball he takes another step closer....

Astonishing isn't it. Utter buffoon.

They are 4th in their league this season which isn't great for them but the Greek leagues become more competitive in recent years and they are only 3 points off the top.

I had a look at their squad on Wikipedia and there isn't anything to fear. They have Podence on loan from Wolves, Jovetic formerly of Man City who I thought had retired, a couple of young English lads who I've not heard of. They've also got a Portuguese lad Forest paid 15m for in the championship a few years ago but did fuck all.

We should have too much for them but like many of the clubs we've met along the way in this tournament they are seasoned European campaigners. We will need to bury them at Villa Park because the atmosphere at their ground will be intense. They have a chance at a European final in their own city. We should get through but we can't afford to piss about.
Oddly though in the round of 16 knockout stage , they lost 1-4 at home to Tel Aviv, only to turn it around by winning 1-6 at their place, although I’m not sure where their place was at the time due to all the conflicts.

Edit; some stadium in Serbia I believe.

Couldn't quite believe how quiet Jonathon David was over the two legs - given how highly he is rated. Barely did anything 1 shot over the 2 legs is all I remember.
Yep, he didn't impress me at all over the 2 legs. I thought the bloke who scored their first goal looked far more dangerous, he got them going when he came off the bench in the first leg as well.

Are Olympiacos any good?
I watched the 2nd half of their game last night after ours had finished. They were very lucky to get through. Fenerbache looked far better, but couldn't take their chances. Although now I've just typed that, I'm thinking their fans may well be saying exactly the same about us.
I'd definitely want to be taking a lead into the 2nd leg as their fans can create a cracking atmosphere. They will be desperate to get to the final as well seeing as it will be a local venue for them.

Surely the ref should be static and out of peripheral vision

That penalty from Luiz was sublime - worth watching again.
Luiz and cash and Watkins penalties were top drawer.

The pressure on Watkins after the delay.

The massive amount of pressure on Luiz for the knock out penalty. Huge huge huge..and no keeper is saving that.

And Cash, coming back from injury and criticism from some. Most players would buckle.

Youri sent the keeper the wrong way (thank god) because that was a shit penalty. But I do love Youri.

And Cash, coming back from injury and criticism from some. Most players would buckle.
Yep, was mentioned earlier by @JW1985 (I think)... Cash - 120 minutes first game back from injury, scored the goal that kept us in it and then knocked in a crucial penalty. Fair fucks to the lad.

We definitely need to upgrade on him but can't argue with his contribution last night, and in plenty of other games this season.

We've all had a gripe at the ref but what has to be understood is that EUFA appointed him and they will stand by him regardless of how bad he was. Makes them look stupid if they don't back him. Best we can hope for is they quietly drop him and we get a very good ref, if there is such a thing, in the semi finals.

Luiz and cash and Watkins penalties were top drawer.

The pressure on Watkins after the delay.

The massive amount of pressure on Luiz for the knock out penalty. Huge huge huge..and no keeper is saving that.

Youri sent the keeper the wrong way (thank god) because that was a shit penalty. But I do love Youri.

I think Youri waited for the keeper to move before deciding which side to put it. Thought it was a well taken penalty myself.

We've all had a gripe at the ref but what has to be understood is that EUFA appointed him and they will stand by him regardless of how bad he was. Makes them look stupid if they don't back him. Best we can hope for is they quietly drop him and we get a very good ref, if there is such a thing, in the semi finals.
He will get Elite status ... fast tracked

Yep, was mentioned earlier by @JW1985 (I think)... Cash - 120 minutes first game back from injury, scored the goal that kept us in it and then knocked in a crucial penalty. Fair fucks to the lad.

We definitely need to upgrade on him but can't argue with his contribution last night, and in plenty of other games this season.
Someone had to step up and tempt the gods, you're all welcome!

I thought Matty was as a big threat to them, had a screamer well saved and another effort just wide. He had a bad pass in him but then so did almost everyone