Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 285 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

Summary.
Back four + Martinez need to distribute the ball far better, too much playing it around the back.
Bailey is our key man.
We were lucky because Lille are very good.
Referee - the worst ever.
Martnez is a don.
We can win this now....UTV

Martinez no hero in my eyes.

A fucking idiot that got lucky through some obscure rule.
Not an obscure rule.
It's a rule (apparently, not that anyone here knew)

And anyway. Debatable as to wtf he did .

If it was crowd gesture then fuck that , I expect to see every player booked this weekend who shushes the crowd, cups their ear or kisses the badge infront of opposing fans.

He did nothing offensive and they'd been giving him stick for 120 mins. If you can't take it, don't dish it out as they say.

Such a tough watch throughout. We were crap the whole game.

Good experience for where we want to be though. A really hard atmosphere to play in and we have found a way to come through.

Such was the lack of energy and impetus I thought the tie had gone. Hate penalties but what a relief.

I was in the fetal position on my mum and dads armchair during penalties. My dad nearly had a heart attack when we thought Emi had been sent off.

That was truly the most shit house win in the history of shithouse wins. Reminds me somewhat of the play off semi final. Hopefully a similar result.

We can't afford another performance like that now. Lille were the best team remaining in the tournament and we'll play the next best in the semi.

Such a tough watch throughout. We were crap the whole game.

Good experience for where we want to be though. A really hard atmosphere to play in and we have found a way to come through.

Such was the lack of energy and impetus I thought the tie had gone. Hate penalties but what a relief.

They say winners win ugly, we definitely did that tonight and with that ref we also massively rode our luck somehow.

Aston Villa goalkeeper Emi Martinez told TNT Sports:

"It's been a hell of a ride all my career. I'm always a believer and a hard worker. It was my destiny to win here again.

"I've just got a bad reputation for time-wasting because the other goalkeeper was doing exactly the same thing.

"I get booked after 30 minutes and we're losing the game so I don't know what the referee wanted for me. In the shootout, there was no ball on the penalty spot and I was asking for a ball from the ball boy... and then I get booked.
"I just don't understand the rules. I know my team-mates need me and I own my box. I just used all my experience.

"This group of player and the manager are special. The owners as well are involved and behind us. It feels like we're going to do something special.

"I don't know if it's going to be the Champions League or the Europa Conference League, but we're going to try to do something special for this football club."