Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 250 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

The back four has been chopped and changed all season due to injuries and in a smaller part, trying to rest players. I wanted to be convinced by Diego but for me is the poorest of our centre backs and just doesn’t dominate as his physique suggests he would. Maybe should have shown more faith in Kaine a few games ago to bring Konsa in. If he’s not ready then hope Longlet is ready soon.

Lille are a good side , they look after the ball and we need to avoid cheap turnovers.

Some people seem upset that they created chances and that Emi actually had to make some saves , but you'd be disappointed if he hadn't made some of those save and it's what you have the best goalkeeper in the world for.

We've got a lead though and that is priceless. Like I said last night I'd back us to score at their place , they are very open and with the onus on them to take the game to us , we can damage them on the counter.
Their defending for both of our goals was poor, especially the first. Plenty for us to exploit as well next week.

There are some Liverpool fans out there bemoaning that their season has ended within the space of one week, but they are in a title race. I also see that Rodri has come out this week to say he is tired and needs a break! Need to keep our heads, we are definitely stretched. But...

We are in the race for 4th / top 6 and still more than in a quarter final of a European competition.... with the injuries we've had to contend with. It's really amazing, I just hope we have enough steam left.

There are some Liverpool fans out there bemoaning that their season has ended within the space of one week, but they are in a title race. I also see that Rodri has come out this week to say he is tired and needs a break! Need to keep our heads, we are definitely stretched. But...

We are in the race for 4th / top 6 and still more than in a quarter final of a European competition.... with the injuries we've had to contend with. It's really amazing, I just hope we have enough steam left.
Yes. There seems this expectation that we are going to sweep teams aside at will every game ,and that is pie in the sky.

We are deep into crunch time now , and we're still in there punching.

Brilliant season no matter how it ends.

According to TNT our no.2 in a fracas with the Lille goalkeeping coach at half time, both sent to stands.
Yes, it was Unai's assistant coach Pako Ayestarán. It happened in the tunnel at half-time.

Old Pako isnt a shy man, and he does the dirty wind-up work on the opposition while Emery stays out of it and concentrates on the game.

Yes. There seems this expectation that we are going to sweep teams aside at will every game ,and that is pie in the sky.

We are deep into crunch time now , and we're still in there punching.

Brilliant season no matter how it ends.
It's also very clear the areas in which we can improve, and I think we will as long as we give Unai and co. the time. Klopp's early Liverpool team could not keep clean sheets, Arsenal have had to tighten their defence. I'm not saying that we can't talk about the fact we've been defensively bad because we have, but I'm saying that the wider picture is still good in my humble.

I have never seen Unai go as mad at the players like he did last night. He was incensed when Tielemans switched off as they were taking a free kick. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he dragged them in early this morning to watch the game over again.

I have never seen Unai go as mad at the players like he did last night. He was incensed when Tielemans switched off as they were taking a free kick. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he dragged them in early this morning to watch the game over again.
Doubt it .He is happy with the result.

I think the loss of Kamara has exacerbated a problem rather than create one. We didnt keep many clean sheets before Kamara got injured.

IMO we are arent physically robust enough in defence.
Teams let the odd goal in its football. When you let more than one in its quite often bad news was my point about Kamara.

It's a worry that Lille will be rested over the weekend and come at us with everything next Thursday while Jonathan David won't be that quiet next week.

We put out potentially our strongest available team for this game and managed a couple of set piece goals at home in front of the Villa faithful. I'd dare to say that they created the better chances, controlled more of the ball, at Villa Park and we are in for one hell of a battle next week to go through.

This game shows us that Paulo Fonseca is a good coach, right up there imho and there is definitely player value in the European leagues (Lille's starting eleven is notionally half the price of ours)

We all recognise the weaknesses that we exhibited last night and gifted them a couple of real opportunities that thankfully Emi was able to deal with. Dougie lost his man for their goal, so that's on him.

For me the season is on a knife edge and we are in danger of finishing the season with a whimper. Games are going to come thick an fast and if we are even slightly off peak performance, we'll get found out. I'm not saying that will definitely happen, but it's always there (as it is with Arsenal, Liverpool and City). Now's the time for the leaders in the group to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and drag them to glory. Here's hoping 🤞🤞🤞

Evenly matched game that could have been any score to any team? Absolutely shitting it about the away fixture? Refereeing decisions *completely* at random?

That's European football baby!

Let's just smash them at their place then, yeah?