euro 2020 | Page 15 | Vital Football

euro 2020

I have to agree on the Rice/Phillips conundrum. I was against playing two defensive midfielders against Croatia, but against their pedestrian midfield it worked as Phillips was able to get forward, but against Scotland’s high tempo it meant they were just sitting there and we lacked creativity. Problem is that Southgate is pig-headed and negative and tends to stick to his guns. For me, I want to see Henderson and Bellingham get some minutes against the Czechs. Both are defensively sound but can offer more going forward than Rice and Phillips. Ideally for the last 16, we’ll play Rice sitting and someone who’s better going forward than Phillips. The Kane issue is a problem. I’d he plays like he does in the last two games, he needs to be dropped, but not for Rashford who can’t play that role. Sterling was poor last night after a good game on Sunday and surely we must be looking at Rashford to start on Tuesday? I definitely think we need to get minutes under the belts of Grealish and Sancho, even if they are going to feature on the bench. Defensively we’re sound, but Maguire is our best CB and dangerous from corners so needs to get minutes v the Czechs with a view to starting in the last 16.

As you know (cos 3x6 keeps on asking me) I've been working this last week and have been staying away from home. Decided to go to the local shitty chain pub to watch the game last night. Although the game was a little disappointing from an English perspective, it was good fun in the pub.

This was largely due to a group of Irish travellers who were in there. I know some of you regard all Irish travellers as anti-social people but this lot were anything but. They were a real good 'craic' and were very respectful of the English. I'm quite certain they were secretly supporting the Scots but they were trying to make it not obvious. Actually, it got to the point where I was kinda hoping the Scottish would score just so I could see if they'd be able to hide their delight!

There was some English bloke in there who'd got an 11/1 bet on a 0-0 final score. When that became clear, near the end, the Irish lads had great fun jokingly calling him a traitor to his nation. The English bloke who'd won the bet offered to get a round in for them but they were having none of it. "No, no, honest to God we're ok, you keep yer winnings!", they told him.

They made the night enjoyable despite the disappointing England performance.

Last edited:
I thought we were fat too slow in build up and didn't apply pressure to the Scots

Bottom line its a group game and the point will no doubt see us through. No point peaking too soon anyway :-)

Thought the scots were unlucky not to win with Che Adams (I think) having a great chance with the header from Pickfords save.

A draw a fair result, no need to panic and hopefully better to come from England

I thought we were fat too slow in build up and didn't apply pressure to the Scots

Bottom line its a group game and the point will no doubt see us through. No point peaking too soon anyway :-)

Thought the scots were unlucky not to win with Che Adams (I think) having a great chance with the header from Pickfords save.

A draw a fair result, no need to panic and hopefully better to come from England

Agreed, Mark.

Scotland were well up for it. I knew they would be. Told my boy right from the off that the Scotland game would be the easiest in the group, 'on paper', but that in reality it would be the toughest of the the three matches.

Am well pleased for the Scots. Really hope they beat Croatia by a couple of goals and that we beat the Czechs convincingly. Would be great for all three home nations to make it to the last 16.

Looking forward to the France/Hungary match, coming up in just over half an hour. No problem to watch here, on French tv. I don't know how it is , to watch for free, in the UK. Anyway, it'll be interesting to make a few comparisons, after this one & Portugal's one tonight.
Come on you blues !!
:utv:

Looking forward to the France/Hungary match, coming up in just over half an hour. No problem to watch here, on French tv. I don't know how it is , to watch for free, in the UK. Anyway, it'll be interesting to make a few comparisons, after this one & Portugal's one tonight.
Come on you blues !!
:utv:

All games are free to watch in the UK (if you have a TV licence). the PPV lot not got hold of these games - yet !

Getting fed up with the hype about Scotland qualifying in the media, and the draw last night. Scotland haven't scored yet, and have to beat Croatia by at least two goals to qualify for the next round. Can't see them qualifying at all. Last night was their cup final, and they didn't win it. They'll be going home after Tuesday, after another failed tournament!

Nice to see Oliver (referee) getting a fairly high profile game in the first round of games.
Terrible early miss by France.

They've all had their jabs, it was mentioned the other day for their first game.
Jabs will possibly stop any of the crowd dying. But it doesn't totally stop infections.If football fans people behave like that after having the jab it will be a long time before this is over .

Jabs will possibly stop any of the crowd dying. But it doesn't totally stop infections.If football fans people behave like that after having the jab it will be a long time before this is over .

This is how it will be here after the 19th July. Can't be locked indoors forever, otherwise you end up with what the Scots did in London last night, and have huge crowds of people who you don't know if they've had jabs or not. That's more dangerous than having a crowd of people you know have been jabbed.

Hungary currently have about the 5th highest number of infections per million people in the world so they have nothing to be complacent about.

Great hundreds die as a result by increasing infections it will be well worth it.Totally ludicrous that the vast majority are not even wearing masks.
Have faith Chris, and trust in the Lord.

It's great seeing and hearing football fans, and seeing France losing.

What's going to happen in the Group of Death if Hungary do win this?