EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 258 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

You are totally missing the point, all of these terrible things happened during our membership of the EU, yet people are saying all these things will happen because of brexit.
they've been happening for the last 50+ years, you can blame the EU or Thatcher, or Labour, the truth is none of them have done anything about stopping it.
Exactly , that's why I can see new politics arriving. Social media has given the silent majority a voice , and change will come.

Nitram77, I’m afraid you’re the one missing the point. All the things you quote happened specifically through industrial policies followed by our own government. If it was due to our membership of the E.U. why didn’t the same things happen in France and Germany ? They didn’t because they followed far more industry friendly policies. And yet you seem happy to follow a course that is very specifically going to damage those industries that we’ve managed to retain. Even the brexiteers’ guru Professor Minford agrees that ‘no deal’ will kill both our industrial and agricultural sectors.

Jerryattrick, have to agree. Notice how with the demise of Unions, how Zero hour contracts and insecurity in the work place have increased, and how overall workers pay rises have stalled. Who needs Unions :shake:

Our employment rules in the UK are one of the most stringent in teh
Exactly , that's why I can see new politics arriving. Social media has given the silent majority a voice , and change will come.

Come the revolution Wolfie!

We gave power to the people to vote and look where that got us

'We gave power to the people to vote and look where that got us'

It's got us to the brink of brexit !

Where will it get us in the future ? ??

Hopefully they will be subsidized then or the prices drop pretty soon. Can't see the ordinary working man affording one in the short term.
There'll be the only new cars on the road in the not too distant future. Of course prices will drop as demand increases and supply can keep up - simple economics

There'll be the only new cars on the road in the not too distant future. Of course prices will drop as demand increases and supply can keep up - simple economics

I don't see many additional electric charging points being built, either in existing petrol stations or new specific forecourts. Are things different round your way?

I also do not hear the sound of panic coming from OPEC if the dominance of electric cars is so near.

!First bit of positive news on this thread for a while!!!!. Can I ask, will the supply / price of electric cars be adversely affected by Brexit ( i.e the price would be even lower if we stayed in the EU,)?

Can you be more specific on the timescale of "not too distant future". Are we talking 5 or 10:years, or longer?

Thanks in advance

The Nissan story reflects the whole nature of the debate where every new development is forced through the prism of Brexit to produce the killer argument by both sides. Mostly this creates heat, noise but little light. Occasionally a thin shaft breaks pierces through.

The reasons for Nissan's decision are various and the industry itself faces tough challenges, which we have discussed from both sides. Last night's news exposed a separate and clear influence: the free trade deal between Japan and the EU. Japan can now make cars, and anything else, in Japan and export to the EU tariff free. That applies to us too, for a few short weeks.

Once again this is not a killer argument because we could negotiate our own deal with Japan but consider how confident you feel of the current players doing that. We are still arguing over the duty frees in a sinking ferry rather than organising a sensible exit plan. The later we leave it, we are already near midnight, the more desparate we become.

There were two models. Which do you think most likely after March?

Buccaneer:

1. A pirate, especially one of the freebooters who plundered Spanish shipping in the West Indies during the 17th century.
2. A ruthless speculator or adventurer.
intr.v. buc·ca·neered, buc·ca·neer·ing, buc·ca·neers
To plunder shipping; act as a buccaneer.
2. To show boldness and enterprise, as in business, often in a reckless or unscrupulous way.

Vassal:

1. a person under the protection of a feudal lord to whom he has vowed homage and fealty : a feudal tenant

2. one in a subservient or subordinate position

"The Nissan story reflects the whole nature of the debate where every new development is forced through the prism of Brexit to produce the killer argument by both sides. Mostly this creates heat, noise, some fog but little light but occasionally a thin shaft breaks through almost accidentally."

The problem is that there are two sides to every development. Nothing is all good or all bad. There are many shades other than black or white.

You will not be surprised to hear that I voted Leave but that was only on balance and I can see the merits in some of the arguments from the other side, particularly economically and in the near future.

I am only prompted to come on here to make a counter argument when remainers express such a jaundiced one sided view of every development. The only semi criticism they make of the EU is along the lines of "The EU isn't perfect but....". However, none of them can bring themselves to elaborate on the EU's failings in the fear that it will balance the debate.

There are a massive amount of politicians from both sides, business leaders and highly respected figures from every field that support leaving the EU but they are all dismissed as apparently either having an ulterior motive, are stupid, or want to create anarchy. On the other hand, just wanting to stay in the EU makes you a cross between Einstein and Mother Theresa.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018

'The EU has just signed its biggest ever trade deal. It's with Japan. Bet the Express won't mention it.'

My post on this forum over 6 1/2 months ago.

Will take at least 6 years from starting negotiations to actual implimentation

Gillsbluenose, what you continually ignore is that every survey of businesses shows that it’s a minority that support Brexit and its a tiny minority of experts that support it. It’s not a 50:50 call nor anything like it. It’s a bit rich you saying that remainers question the motives of that minority when you forever do it in relation to those business leaders that say a no deal Brexit would be a disaster.

"The Nissan story reflects the whole nature of the debate where every new development is forced through the prism of Brexit to produce the killer argument by both sides. Mostly this creates heat, noise, some fog but little light but occasionally a thin shaft breaks through almost accidentally."

The problem is that there are two sides to every development. Nothing is all good or all bad. There are many shades other than black or white.

You will not be surprised to hear that I voted Leave but that was only on balance and I can see the merits in some of the arguments from the other side, particularly economically and in the near future.

I am only prompted to come on here to make a counter argument when remainers express such a jaundiced one sided view of every development. The only semi criticism they make of the EU is along the lines of "The EU isn't perfect but....". However, none of them can bring themselves to elaborate on the EU's failings in the fear that it will balance the debate.

There are a massive amount of politicians from both sides, business leaders and highly respected figures from every field that support leaving the EU but they all dismissed as apparently either having an ulterior motive, are stupid, or want to create anarchy. On the other hand, just wanting to stay in the EU makes you a cross between Einstein and Mother Theresa.
Lol, and you've just had a go at one sided pro EU contributions. "massive numbers" of business leaders pro leaving? Really?

I don't like the EU for political reasons (lefty like you) but leaving is considerably worse, unfortunately, especially with Trump/Putin (who are keen for us to leave).

Just heard the CEO of Unipart saying how no deal will be a disaster. Is he lying? Stupid? Project fear for some reason? He was exasperated at our leaving the greatest free trade block the world has seen. 800,000 jobs at risk.

Gillsbluenose, what you continually ignore is that every survey of businesses shows that it’s a minority that support Brexit and its a tiny minority of experts that support it. It’s not a 50:50 call nor anything like it. It’s a bit rich you saying that remainers question the motives of that minority when you forever do it in relation to those business leaders that say a no deal Brexit would be a disaster.

At least be honest with yourself and think back five years for what your opinion would have been about, for instance, James Dyson.

He is now seen as the anti-christ by remainers for his Brexit views and they could not wait to highlight the fact that he is developing his electric car in Singapore rather than commenting on the fact that his research and development remains in the UK, where he is the third largest individual tax payer.

It is this continual dismissal and belittling of people that disagree with them that angers leavers.

Why should the view of the CEO of Unipart (who is a well paid employee and has not built a business from scratch, incidentally) have any more truck that Dyson? Why should his motives not be questioned?