EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 255 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Once again - my question gets swerved.

The critical success factors in my mind for Brexit to be considered to be a good thing are:

1. Economic growth to be at least as good as the average performance of the EU growth rate; and one of the better performing G7 economies. By benchmarking growth rates against other economies you negate the impact of stochastic factors like global recessions. And given that the EU is (allegedly) doomed, then achieving this metric should be pretty easy if the rhetoric of the Brexit brigade is to be believed.

2. Frictionless access to the EU markets for business. Afterall Tory Brexiteers said that we’d be able to achieve the exact same benefits of the single market after Brexit - so I gues that wouldn’t be an unreasonable KPI.

3. A rich stream of free trade deals with growth markets within in next 5 years.

4. All immigration targets met, without fail, since we’d have full control over our borders. That was one of the big promises.

5. Apart from 1 month of adjustment immediately after Brexit (assuming no deal) I would expect there to be no shortages of food and medicines. Again that was a Brexiteer promise.

GBN - do you think any of these are unreasonable expectations?

Only drama queen remainers ever use terms like "doomed" and "without fail".

In the case of 4, I agree. The government will be able to be held to account if the targets continue to be missed.

I notice by your other conditions that everything revolves around money as far as you are concerned. That is important but not the only reason for leaving as many voters on the street have said and Le Pen commented.

In respect of 1, I expect us to exceed EU growth some years and not others and in respect of 2, if we fail to obtain a free and frictionless trade deal with the EU, they will suffer as much as us in the long run, particularly France.

I am optimistic about 3 but it is the most unknown as we have had to leave such deals to the EU for such a long time.

Number 5 is totally unrealistic as I am sure you will be able to find some less popular food or medicine to prove your point but I don't see a general problem with multinational food chains and some drug producers based here.

In respect of 1, I expect us to exceed EU growth some years and not others and in respect of 2, if we fail to obtain a free and frictionless trade deal with the EU, they will suffer as much as us in the long run, particularly France.
How? They don't do double figures unlike the EU; Imagine the sales of French wine and brandy with Japan now the trade deal is concluded. They wont suffer anything like we will.

Why can't it be seen as an opportunity to start building electric vehicles , and owned by British companies ?
Like Dyson you mean who has moved his electric vehicle operations and everything else to Singapore and beyond.

Here's a reason from Jaguar Land Rover's Chief Exec, Dr Ralph Speth, why electric cars might be good for the environment but not everything else.

He warned of the unintended consequences of the electrification of cars and arrival of autonomous vehicles. The UK’s 250,000-plus lorry drivers are at risk from driverless technology, with knock-on effects for the UK’s social fabric, he said.

“In the UK, there are currently more than a quarter of a million lorry drivers. What happens to our society if these lose their jobs? Who pays for them? What happens to the social fabric of the country?”

Furthermore, electric cars’ impact on petrol and diesel demand could hurt oil-producing nations, Speth said. “Many could be forced to impose substantial spending cuts within the next five years, straining living standards and so creating unrest in areas already suffering from instability,” he added. In other words, a decline in demand from oil producers can effect adversely our exports. Yes, this would happen if we were still in the EU but, as a member of the trading bloc, we'd have a better chance most likely.
and owned by British companies ?
What British-owned car companies are there apart from Morgan and Dyson and no-one could possibly start from scratch now and hope to be competitive.

Like Dyson you mean who has moved his electric vehicle operations and everything else to Singapore and beyond.

Here's a reason from Jaguar Land Rover's Chief Exec, Dr Ralph Speth, why electric cars might be good for the environment but not everything else.

He warned of the unintended consequences of the electrification of cars and arrival of autonomous vehicles. The UK’s 250,000-plus lorry drivers are at risk from driverless technology, with knock-on effects for the UK’s social fabric, he said.

“In the UK, there are currently more than a quarter of a million lorry drivers. What happens to our society if these lose their jobs? Who pays for them? What happens to the social fabric of the country?”

Furthermore, electric cars’ impact on petrol and diesel demand could hurt oil-producing nations, Speth said. “Many could be forced to impose substantial spending cuts within the next five years, straining living standards and so creating unrest in areas already suffering from instability,” he added. In other words, a decline in demand from oil producers can effect adversely our exports. Yes, this would happen if we were still in the EU but, as a member of the trading bloc, we'd have a better chance most likely.

What British-owned car companies are there apart from Morgan and Dyson and no-one could possibly start from scratch now and hope to be competitive.
The lorry drivers will blame the EU for losing heir jobs even though we will be out of the EU by then.

We've had decades of lack of investment in our industry and workforce and Leavers blamed the EU for it. When f#ck all improves after we leave, where do we go from there?

You mean the country (not eu) that took the piss out of sinclair’s try with the C5. The press ridiculed it so much that it obviously flopped.

Also failed to back him on the first electronic calculator, miniaturised tv, pc and tape technology.

Will also not see a boost in training.

How? They don't do double figures unlike the EU; Imagine the sales of French wine and brandy with Japan now the trade deal is concluded. They wont suffer anything like we will.

And imagine all the increased sales of tariff free Hondas, Subarus and Nissans in France knocking the sales of Citroens, Peugeots and Renaults "now the trade deal is concluded". No trade deal only benefits one party.

Funny, I thought there was actually likely to be a shortage of them:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/53353...st-brexit-trade-boom-with-45000-jobs-to-fill/

Those of us who do not see an apocalyptic future would probably anticipate autonomous vehicles being introduced gradually and the use of lorries reducing accordingly.

With time passing and the usual unhealthy lifestyles of truckers, numbers are bound to reduce accordingly so I think the social fabric will probably suffer minimal damage.

Funny, I thought there was actually likely to be a shortage of them:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/53353...st-brexit-trade-boom-with-45000-jobs-to-fill/

Those of us who do not see an apocalyptic future would probably anticipate autonomous vehicles being introduced gradually and the use of lorries reducing accordingly.

With time passing and the usual unhealthy lifestyles of truckers, numbers are bound to reduce accordingly so I think the social fabric will probably suffer minimal damage.
Thank you Prof Bluenose. So we have the Chief Exec of JLR voicing an opinion based on detailed knowledge and analysis then you come along and talk out the back of your neck.

Gillsbluenose, you really do live in a weird kind of parallel universe. In the meantime sensible grown up people are trying to carry on producing things and managing things while the children carrying on pretending everything will be ok.

Only drama queen remainers ever use terms like "doomed" and "without fail".

In the case of 4, I agree. The government will be able to be held to account if the targets continue to be missed.

I notice by your other conditions that everything revolves around money as far as you are concerned. That is important but not the only reason for leaving as many voters on the street have said and Le Pen commented.

I am optimistic about 3 but it is the most unknown as we have had to leave such deals to the EU for such a long time.

Number 5 is totally unrealistic as I am sure you will be able to find some less popular food or medicine to prove your point but I don't see a general problem with multinational food chains and some drug producers based here.

So what do you consider are the key success factors?

I sincerely hope things go well, but what would have to have happened on 5 years time for you to turn around and say: “Brexit was a mistake?”

Thank you Prof Bluenose. So we have the Chief Exec of JLR voicing an opinion based on detailed knowledge and analysis then you come along and talk out the back of your neck.

Better than the orifice that the Chief Exec of JLR is talking out of.

If he seriously expects us to believe that driverless and autonomous vehicles will be form the majority of vehicles on the roads within a couple of years, to the extent that no lorries will be required, then he might as well say hover cars will follow shortly after.

Gillsbluenose, you really do live in a weird kind of parallel universe. In the meantime sensible grown up people are trying to carry on producing things and managing things while the children carrying on pretending everything will be ok.

Diddums, don't soil your pretentious nappy about it.

Project Fear.
Ahem... ...bullshit.
This is the first of many.

From BBC Report:
"Peter Campbell, the motor industry correspondent at the Financial Times, said the fall in demand for diesel vehicles appeared to be one of the main factors in Nissan's announcement on the X-Trail."
"Work on the Qashqai - which makes up the majority of Nissan Sunderland's work and is the best-selling crossover vehicle in Europe - is not expected to be affected by the move."

We should be building our own cars , not Japanese ones.
And how will that work; there are no British car manufacturers anymore? Train manufacture is going the same way - instead of saying what we should do, why not suggest how it can be done. Next, you'll be spouting the BNP line about re-opening all canals in order to get people working.

From BBC Report:
"Peter Campbell, the motor industry correspondent at the Financial Times, said the fall in demand for diesel vehicles appeared to be one of the main factors in Nissan's announcement on the X-Trail."
"Work on the Qashqai - which makes up the majority of Nissan Sunderland's work and is the best-selling crossover vehicle in Europe - is not expected to be affected by the move."
Thin end of the wedge