EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 151 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Arthurly, notwithstanding Rules, whether EU or not, , a lot of people have been pressure-compelled to work much more than 48 hours a week during the last 20 years. Big and powerful companies have continued to take advantage of workers for centuries, nothing much changes there. Even in the public sector, if you want to get on you are pressure-compelled to work excessive hours and conditions without financial recompense. Good luck to those who have been able to work their 8 hr shift and just go home.

Please note: This is a Brexit-neutral response.

Yes agreed that big companies have often managed to sidestep laws. But at least the EU was trying to do something. Could get much worse if we're out of the EU with a far right government.

In Italy not only are people restricted to 48 hpw but overtime is limited. But there is another class of employee, dirigente status, managers and up, who are not subject to those EU rules. I would often be in Milan office to 8 at night or weekends with colleagues; the same applied in our Paris office. In the UK, I would often work beyond the 37 week and never claimed overtime; on site 60 hpw was the basic work week. One reason for the EU to impose such rules was that continued long working hours were found to be counter-productive but that doesn't seem to have any resonance in the UK.

I see nothing wrong in admitting we are much wiser 2 years down the line and were just very poorly advised and lied to. The divisions everywhere are moving the whole process towards the peoples vote that I marched for. No leave deal is going to satisfy everyone (although May's actually looks ok to me) and leave with no deal is the most widely accepted worst option. That leaves staying in and adopting the immigration controls that were available all the time (but we chose not to implement them). We have enough vetos to not get sucked into a federal EU and enough clout to bring the community together to stand up to the real threats to our future. Pollution, Russian expansionism, Chinese mopping up of global resources and the middle east's diminishing natural resources. I don't think our kids would thank us if we end up blighting their futures.
Excellent and sensible post Vambo.

Excellent and sensible post Vambo.

A YouGov poll out today shows 38% who would now vote leave re 49% who would vote remain. Biggest gap yet - of 11%

It also occurs to me that the 18-20 year olds who couldn't vote(2 million of them by March 2019) would not have been included in the Poll.

But May will still witter on about delivering Brexit for us. An increasing number of us, don't want it delivered. Send the friggin thing back !

A YouGov poll out today shows 38% who would now vote leave re 49% who would vote remain. Biggest gap yet - of 11%

It also occurs to me that the 18-20 year olds who couldn't vote(2 million of them by March 2019) would not have been included in the Poll.

But May will still witter on about delivering Brexit for us. An increasing number of us, don't want it delivered. Send the friggin thing back !

I have also promised my 86 year old mother and 87 year old mother in law that I will lock both of them in their homes on the day of any second referendum. Just in case they haven't picked up on the fact that none of their kids or grandkids were impressed by their 'Too many foriegners' Daily Mail vote first time round!

Tough.

You can carry that pathetic argument on and on and, about every different subject too.
The vote DID decide, so get on with life and deal with it.

Which way did you vote hardy?

If it was leave, what did you actually want to happen as a result of the vote?

Tough.

You can carry that pathetic argument on and on and, about every different subject too.
Agree. I did not vote for or want this useless Tory government so I demand a new vote until I get the party in power that I want. Then again the way May is making a hash of everything I may not have to wait too long.

Agree. I did not vote for or want this useless Tory government so I demand a new vote until I get the party in power that I want. Then again the way May is making a hash of everything I may not have to wait too long.

If you don't get the result you want in a general election, you have another chance to overthrow them 5 years later - ie it's democratic.

There is nothing about SII in the leaving agreement. If we are not able to retain membership that would be a big negative in our security. This is something that Yvette Cooper has talked about Yesterday (where she got nothing out of Theresa May, and Today and she is obviously really worried by it.

'SIS II is the largest information system for public security in Europe and represents the primary compensatory measure following the abolition of controls at the internal borders of the Schengen area. While SIS II entered into operation on 9 April 2013, eu-LISA took over its operational management from the European Commission on 8 May 2013 at the end of the intensive monitoring period following the system’s entry into operations. '

Tough.

The vote advised but it didn't determine if there should be a deal or a no-deal. We've now got to that position and many are not happy.