England | Page 2 | Vital Football

England

Just annoyed me.

If Sterling hadn't been so greedy we'd have had several more goals to help the goal difference.

Stupid commentators - Watkins didn't score with his first kick/touch - he controlled the ball first.

Playing in blue. Why FFS. If we're not in white then it should be red. End of.

Mings getting himself booked at the end for a pointless and unnecessary foul.

Lack of a mexican wave to relieve the boredom.

Just annoyed me.

If Sterling hadn't been so greedy we'd have had several more goals to help the goal difference.

Stupid commentators - Watkins didn't score with his first kick/touch - he controlled the ball first.

Playing in blue because they've seen what the GIIIILLLLS can do!

Way fewer countries play rugby, which makes a big difference but I take your point. It's not just the cash that FIFA is mesmerised by either. Blatter and co ran their cosy money making machine by harvesting the votes of minor nations, who were bribed with relatively small grants from the central body and the kudos of games against the big boys. Televison can always fill schedules with more pointless games boosted by hysterical promotion.

Spot on, Jo. Blatter and his cronies went some time ago, but it's clear his legacy is still there and Fifa has changed little. World Cups were fraudulently awarded to Russia and Qatar, but still went/are going ahead despite this. Those World Cups and other matters which were the wish of Blatter and co were pushed through by Blatter and Fifa buying votes of developing football nations under the pretence that they were spreading the game (when in fact all they were doing is buying votes to push through their agenda). This was best witnessed by the fact that even after Blatter had finally been well and truly outed as corrupt, I saw a number of interviews with Africa, Asian and other national FA representatives still fully backing him. After the Blatter regime, you'd have thoughy Fifa would have been looking to change the way they operate, but one of the first things they proposed after was substantially increasing the size of the World Cup, with the majority of those places going to Africa and Asia, meaning the World Cup will be even weaker and more of a farce, but I daresay the current Fifa regime can ensure that they'll be voted back in when their term is up and they'll probably get backing for the next World Cup to be in whatever inappropriate but financially lucrative venue they favour.

Just annoyed me.

Spot on re the kit. We've had blue as a third kit before but should always be white or red for me 🙄

Not sure about the Mexican wave though 🤔

Spot on, Jo. Blatter and his cronies went some time ago, but it's clear his legacy is still there and Fifa has changed little. World Cups were fraudulently awarded to Russia and Qatar, but still went/are going ahead despite this. Those World Cups and other matters which were the wish of Blatter and co were pushed through by Blatter and Fifa buying votes of developing football nations under the pretence that they were spreading the game (when in fact all they were doing is buying votes to push through their agenda). This was best witnessed by the fact that even after Blatter had finally been well and truly outed as corrupt, I saw a number of interviews with Africa, Asian and other national FA representatives still fully backing him. After the Blatter regime, you'd have thoughy Fifa would have been looking to change the way they operate, but one of the first things they proposed after was substantially increasing the size of the World Cup, with the majority of those places going to Africa and Asia, meaning the World Cup will be even weaker and more of a farce, but I daresay the current Fifa regime can ensure that they'll be voted back in when their term is up and they'll probably get backing for the next World Cup to be in whatever inappropriate but financially lucrative venue they favour.
A number of F1 Grand Prix are vanity projects paid for by the governments/leaders of the countries staging them. The Sochi race is one example and Abu Dhabi is believed to pay a premium to ensure it is the last race of the season.

Then there are the Olympics the granting of which also seems a somewhat opaque process. I'm not sure if the UK was squeaky clean when "lobbying" for the 2012 ones!

And now international cricket seems to be heading towards control by the Sub Continent.

A number of F1 Grand Prix are vanity projects paid for by the governments/leaders of the countries staging them. The Sochi race is one example and Abu Dhabi is believed to pay a premium to ensure it is the last race of the season.

Then there are the Olympics the granting of which also seems a somewhat opaque process. I'm not sure if the UK was squeaky clean when "lobbying" for the 2012 ones!

And now international cricket seems to be heading towards control by the Sub Continent.

I have no doubt the English bid was far from squeaky clean, but very much doubt that the level of corruption was anything like some of the other bids.

Yes, it's a shame the way cricket is going. England winning the last world cup was fantastic anyway, but even more so because the ICC seems to be determined to run the game exclusively for th benefit of India, so it was good to stick it up to them. The ICC Trophy and World Cup both had pitches prepared under the supervision of the ICC and surprise, surprise, England's usual flat quick home ODI tracks changed to low slow, lower scoring grubbers, which suited India, but thankfully they failed to capitalise. Even at the matches, it very much Indian-centric feel - for example, all the usual English ales and beers in the tents and bars were replaced by rank Indian beers with the biggest insult being, none of the Indians there seemed to drink them!

On top of that, the whole cricket calendar seems to be dictated by the IPL, which no one outside of India could give two hoots about, besides international players chasing £$£$£. The net results is that we are losing series because we are resting and rotating players - apparently, the England v NZ Test series in June will be missing a number of key players as they'll be playing in the IPL. Madness.

Easy win today but the possession recycling football sends one to sleep lol.

Poland in the week which reminds me of when they came here and lost resulting in their manager being sacked.
I was in a conference call with our polish team next day and they were relaying that the joke in Poland was - 'the only pole to go to england to lose a job' lol.

The India v England cricket one day series has been brilliant, first class entertainment between the top 2 one day teams.

Poland in the week which reminds me of when they came here and lost resulting in their manager being sacked.
I was in a conference call with our polish team next day and they were relaying that the joke in Poland was - 'the only pole to go to england to lose a job' lol.
I'm afraid the mere mention of Poland and World Cup still brings me out in a cold sweat. That match back in '73 was serioisly traumatic. Trumped only by Man City at Wembley.

I'm afraid the mere mention of Poland and World Cup still brings me out in a cold sweat. That match back in '73 was serioisly traumatic. Trumped only by Man City at Wembley.
Me too, The Clown in goal, saving everything and Norman Hunter's uncharacteristically tame "tackle" still haunt me to this day. Even as a 7 year old, I was expecting Big Norman to launch the guy into row Z. 🙄

That Poland game was a slow motion disaster for me, which had an awful inevitability about it way before the final whistle. Some games just provide that sense of dread and resignation, a bit like Burscough. In no other game would Hunter have let a man go past him on the line like that, fate was in his legs.

With hindsight, Poland were no mugs. Went on to finish 3rd in the 1974 World Cup.

You are right Rotherhithe but it's worth remembering that Sir Alf was still in charge and we had a very good team ourselves that night. I have just read a few reports and commentaries, never knew that Tomaszeski became a politician, or that Brian Clough apologised to him personally for his comments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24445822

With the way Albania set up and their ‘in your face’ intensity how else did you think England were going to play other than keep recycling possession?

With the way Albania set up and their ‘in your face’ intensity how else did you think England were going to play other than keep recycling possession?
It’s still boring to watch,
Football is a result based business but that doesn’t stop observers from stating the obvious.

It’s still boring to watch,
Football is a result based business but that doesn’t stop observers from stating the obvious.

Boring to watch? Like everything its a matter of opinion! I love watching teams who dominate the possession! Don’t always get the desired result, but I would rather watch that than just smash it up to the lump up top!

Get wide, get crosses in, play through the lines. There was an additional issue to be fair in that the pace dropped due to the sodden pitch.

Hoof it, hate the tippy tappy lol. Mind you man u and Liverpool did not do bad in the past with pace and power plus great wingers.

Boring to watch? Like everything its a matter of opinion! I love watching teams who dominate the possession! Don’t always get the desired result, but I would rather watch that than just smash it up to the lump up top!
Exactly 👍
My opinion is that it is boring.
I like to see teams moving the ball quickly and forward.
When we played MK , their centre backs and keeper had the most touches.
I couldn’t watch that every week.

The Gills did that under Keith Burkinshaw. He thought he was still in charge of Spurs and the ball just went across the back four with the occasional 5 yard forward pass to a midfield player before going back again. The strikers could have taken a flask of tea and a book on to the field.