England | Page 3 | Vital Football

England

The Gills did that under Keith Burkinshaw. He thought he was still in charge of Spurs and the ball just went across the back four with the occasional 5 yard forward pass to a midfield player before going back again. The strikers could have taken a flask of tea and a book on to the field.
Yes, I remember that. He didn't realise the drop in talent that he had to manage.

10 minutes to go v Poland and it's a repeat of '73.

Are England actually trying to win?
Very few players in the box at any time.

How boring and pedestrian are England to watch? Let’s count ourselves lucky that they are our second team and we have the gills to light up our lives.

Does anyone else think Brendan Rogers would make a better manager and insert some verve and energy into this amazingly talented squad? Even just for the summer?

How boring and pedestrian are England to watch? Let’s count ourselves lucky that they are our second team and we have the gills to light up our lives.

Does anyone else think Brendan Rogers would make a better manager and insert some verve and energy into this amazingly talented squad? Even just for the summer?

Why not give big Stevie a go at it, it would not do much for the old "Entente Cordiale" on the touch line but he would certainly liven things up, and the commentator's would have to apologise for the language in half a dozen different languages.

10 minutes to go v Poland and it's a repeat of '73.

Are England actually trying to win?
Very few players in the box at any time.

I thought it looked like we were more interested in preserving a point before we scored the second. Boredom on a stick, lets go back to direct gills style :)

A bit like the Gills today, I quite enjoyed that tonight. There’s always something satisfying about eaking out a win when you haven’t played that well and I’d say both England and the Gills did that today.

Poland are far from a great team and we’ll face much better teams in the Euros, but they are physically tough and streetwise and, in a way, tougher without Lewondowski. I think without having their main man, they had little ambition to win the game and their main tactic was to make it hard for us, especially after they messed up against Hungary. Poland never looked like scoring until Stones’ howler. He had already had a warning when he and Pope almost messed up fannying about with it just before the goal. To be fair, I wouldn’t completely blame stones. I am struggling to understand what Pope thought giving it to Stones there would achieve and I’d also say at the very top level, I’ve seen efforts from that angle, close to the keeper saved - it would have been a worldie, but that’s the level of football we’re talking about. All in, we got away with it and despite the slightly negative spin from the commentators, I think we deserved it. Hopefully, lessons learnt for Stones, Pope and others, but no harm done as we have a foot in Qatar already for me - our only real rivals in Poland have dropped five points already and I can see them dropping further points against Albania and Hungary. Even if we lose away in Poland, which I don’t think we will, the only other game we may drop a couple of points in is Hungary away (and I don’t think that’ll happen either).

Smashing day for me. My mum and dad came around and saw my son for the first time in 4 months. It was 20c in my garden and we had a BBQ and beers and me and my dad watching the Gills in the garden (it was warm but cloudy so no glare on the screen), then an England win.

I just need to hear some news on my tickets for the three England group games in the Euros. Hopeful for the last game v The Czechs as it falls after 21 June, but less so for the other two - would be sickening to lose my tickets for the Scotland game!

A bit like the Gills today, I quite enjoyed that tonight. There’s always something satisfying about eaking out a win when you haven’t played that well and I’d say both England and the Gills did that today.
!

if I was a Poland fan I’d agree with that( if they won) but england are to international football what the Sunderland/Ipswich etc are to league 1.

England have the big budget players. No excuses. We are a team of talented individuals without much of a plan.

good post in the maIn though!

Last edited:

Poland are far from a great team and we’ll face much better teams in the Euros, but they are physically tough and streetwise and, in a way, tougher without Lewondowski. I think without having their main man, they had little ambition to win the game and their main tactic was to make it hard for us, especially after they messed up against Hungary. Poland never looked like scoring until Stones’ howler. He had already had a warning when he and Pope almost messed up fannying about with it just before the goal. To be fair, I wouldn’t completely blame stones. I am struggling to understand what Pope thought giving it to Stones there would achieve and I’d also say at the very top level, I’ve seen efforts from that angle, close to the keeper saved - it would have been a worldie, but that’s the level of football we’re talking about. All in, we got away with it and despite the slightly negative spin from the commentators, I think we deserved it. Hopefully, lessons learnt for Stones, Pope and others, but no harm done as we have a foot in Qatar already for me - our only real rivals in Poland have dropped five points already and I can see them dropping further points against Albania and Hungary. Even if we lose away in Poland, which I don’t think we will, the only other game we may drop a couple of points in is Hungary away (and I don’t think that’ll happen either).

Smashing day for me. My mum and dad came around and saw my son for the first time in 4 months. It was 20c in my garden and we had a BBQ and beers and me and my dad watching the Gills in the garden (it was warm but cloudy so no glare on the screen), then an England win.

I just need to hear some news on my tickets for the three England group games in the Euros. Hopeful for the last game v The Czechs as it falls after 21 June, but less so for the other two - would be sickening to lose my tickets for the Scotland game!

Well we are environmentally friendly - we just recycled everything and used less energy lol.