EFL Retained Lists | Page 3 | Vital Football

EFL Retained Lists

A lot of quality players released. Honestly I'd have Virtue as a squad player any day
Hadn't realised Oakley-Booth had already been binned in January. Virtue is OK but would he accept terms on squad player status/wages at his stage of career. Similar position to Bishop's status imo.

I would rather we had a promising project player with energy and the wages associated with that for squad player status.

Hadn't realised Oakley-Booth had already been binned in January. Virtue is OK but would he accept terms on squad player status/wages at his stage of career. Similar position to Bishop's status imo.

I would rather we had a promising project player with energy and the wages associated with that for squad player status.

He is in Portugal with Shodipo...

I don't understand this desire to re-sign former players: do we really believe there is nothing better out there?
It already seems a long time ago, the Club has moved on and better is out there and not with the doubt they may be carrying a long term injury. He was injured for a good few weeks when he was with us and has been out injured again last season. We already have Tyler Walker who we knew was injury prone when we took the chance on him, and things don't look good there at the moment. We don't want to be taking another risk with a relatively small squad.
UTI.

I don't understand this desire to re-sign former players: do we really believe there is nothing better out there?

I tend to agree, though there is the point that even in a struggling team we were able to directly see that he was a great player - it gives us something solid to go off. The injury argument is a good one, though.

I suspect Blackpool took a gamble on keeping Virtue and ended up taking the hit. I never got the feeling he was ever likely to play regularly for them except in parts and they expected 'a Lincoln' would come in and pay £50k to £75k for him due to the noises about him. It never happened and they were left with an expensive reserve on their hands.

Crikey. I definitely remember reviews about him in our team were good at the time! He was first name on the teamsheet for me for a decent stint
He did decently for us, a perfectly adequate, competent and reliable performer in L1. It was at a time though when our central midfield was utterly bereft of anybody else that could do a semblance of the job required and I recall we were desperate to find somebody for what had been our problem position for a good while. As such he probably stood out with his solid consistency.

Fast forward to this season and how does he compare? Is he an attacking midfielder - no. Does he have the play making skills and read the game as well as McGrandles - no. Erhahon role - I think we know the answer to that one. Probably closest to style with Hamilton and for me Hamilton is the better player.

When we were linked to signing him my thoughts at the time were I wouldn't mind his move being made permanent but I wouldn't want to pay a fee for him.

Crikey. I definitely remember reviews about him in our team were good at the time! He was first name on the teamsheet for me for a decent stint

Decent player but given a choice i would rather signed Conor MC or upgrade Bishop's or Danny M's pay instead of going to Virtue.

For some reason i never rated him as highly as others and looking at others in our team and opposition last season he looked a run of the mill, League One midfielder.

Agreed. As mulch as I loved Matty Virtue, if the club really is ambitious to get to the next level they have to seek out the players capable of getting us there, so yes I agree we have to explore potentially either Erhahon style diamonds or Championship-experienced players capable of pushing us on.