Early heads up for Wembley | Vital Football

Early heads up for Wembley

Long suffering Imp

Vital Squad Member
If you'r planning to drive down the A1, there's long standing roadworks south of Peterborough where the A14 turnoff is. You can add about 20mins to the journey with the diversion and that's if its free flowing.

All the directions still give it shorter than going across to the M1, although they don't seem to have the delay you mention (I did hear it on the national traffic earlier)

Red Wimp - 25/3/2018 19:50

All the directions still give it shorter than going across to the M1, although they don't seem to have the delay you mention (I did hear it on the national traffic earlier)

Its very odd, i cant find any mention of the these roadworks on the web, but they are very major and have been going on for some time. Please allow yourselves a bit of extra time no matter what your "devices " are telling you. I have literally travelled the road today (sunday) and its very shut yet nothing about it on line.

It’s on the highways agency website, works started March 2017 and run to March 2021
It states widening of A1 between Brampton and Alconbury, part of the A14 Huntington to Cambridge bypass scheme.

I’ve driven through it many times heading up to Lincoln but not suffered major delays.

Cricklewoodimp - 26/3/2018 12:03

I go to every home game and have only been diverted for night fixtures.

I've only been diverted twice but both were Sundays during the day travelling south. By the time I'd got back onto the A1 following the diversion route, my sat nav had put 20mins on my eta.

Long suffering Imp - 26/3/2018 00:20

Red Wimp - 25/3/2018 19:50

Its very odd, i cant find any mention of the these roadworks on the web, but they are very major and have been going on for some time. Please allow yourselves a bit of extra time no matter what your "devices " are telling you. I have literally travelled the road today (sunday) and its very shut yet nothing about it on line.

I shall be allowing myself a few hours extra! Normally Tom tells me when traffic is on route, perhaps it would do if I started to drive. Likewise Google maps. I've been to Stansted a couple of times and caught the A14 problems but they hadn't reached the A1 last time I went (Cambridge away actually)

Heading south, the works start just after the A14 peels off from the A1 at Alconbury, just north of Huntingdon.

It's a ridiculously low 40mph speed limit even though two lanes are open in both directions and oncoming traffic is separated by the central reservation.

Impalex - 27/3/2018 09:00

Heading south, the works start just after the A14 peels off from the A1 at Alconbury, just north of Huntingdon.

It's a ridiculously low 40mph speed limit even though two lanes are open in both directions and oncoming traffic is separated by the central reservation.

Also beware that there are average speed cameras too :thumbdown:

clanford - 27/3/2018 10:28

Impalex - 27/3/2018 09:00

Also beware that there are average speed cameras too :thumbdown:

That's where the beauty of cruise control comes in if you have it on your car! I just stick it at 40 mph and leave it! My car even has the sensor on the front so it slows you down if a vehicle is going slower in front. It takes all the stress out of going through road works.

Not a roadworks query, but a bags one...

Are any bags allowed to be taken in to the stadium?
Presume large rucksacks definitely not permitted but can women take their handbags in or men a shoulder bag perhaps?
And are we allowed to take butties in etc?

buckielugger - 29/3/2018 18:58

Not a roadworks query, but a bags one...

Are any bags allowed to be taken in to the stadium?
Presume large rucksacks definitely not permitted but can women take their handbags in or men a shoulder bag perhaps?
And are we allowed to take butties in etc?

30cm x 30cm (or 12" x 12" in old money).

No left luggage facilities at the stadium. I had to book my overnight bag into a left luggage facility at Liverpool Street.