Does the town deserve a team ? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Does the town deserve a team ?

I recently moved to Wigan, and this season was my first year with a ST going to all home matches and a couple of away matches.

The club are clearly doing the right things trying to expand the fan base. They have great links with local schools, the holiday clubs that my son has attended are great, the tickets are extremely cheap for kids, the family zone thing is good before a match, the match-day experience is pretty decent for families and the academy is doing really well which will get more families in the area connected to the club.

These things take time to build but the club has been going about it the right way. The problem is that with busy lives and families, it's hard to carve out that time for football on a Saturday afternoon, especially if you have kids playing football or other activities at the weekend, and spare cash is tight. The main thing is to continue to do this, get kids really hooked with their mates going week in a week out, as we all were back in the day, and then hopefully enable them to see some success/moments/players that really solidify things. It's such a shame that no-one was in the stadium to actually see the 8-0, and that it feels slightly meaningless now, but imagine if a load of kids had seen that in the flesh - they'd be raving about it for years.

Well as a permanent WS5 fossil, I hereby confess I was ranting about “mis-placed passes” and giving the ball away when we were still only one nil up :whist:

(We’d have had double figures if we’d have shaped ourselves ...”Bloody rubbish Wigan”)

Said to mates during that 8-0 that if it was in-front of our moany half-arsed half-full crowd, it would have been a nervy 1-1 shitfest. But think I'm giving Hull way, way too much credit there. 2-1.

The club are clearly doing the right things trying to expand the fan base. They have great links with local schools, the holiday clubs that my son has attended are great, the tickets are extremely cheap for kids, the family zone thing is good before a match, the match-day experience is pretty decent for families and the academy is doing really well which will get more families in the area connected to the club.

These things take time to build....

These things should have been built on prior to 05/06. They most certainly weren't built on when the likes of Chimbonda, Bocelli & N'zogbia were here, just as the youth system was non-existant.

The primary school kids from 2002-2006 that weren't tapped into WAFC are at the point where they are now parents of kids who also wont be tapped into because there's no family affiliation with their home-town club. That's a whole generation lost because a lot of the overpaid premier league players "didn't do" community stuff.

DW stadium capacity 25000

Springfield Park capacity 33000
Record gate v Newcastle 30000 plus
27000 gate for a non league game v Hereford

On what planet then is the DW too big when on occasions we have filled it.

Our trouble is geography always has been. We are in the middle of Liverpool and Manchester and most of our townsfolk have traditionally supported one of the four big clubs from seis cities.

The planet where you can't even get half the stadium capacity to go to the stadium

Well I am not from the town but I shall certainly be there next season, however shit we are. Hopefully we have a club. Something about being a Latics Mon and fighting adversity. Will be there if we are bottom of the league at Christmas with a bunch of youngsters dieing for their shirts. Not bothered about an 18k a week manager and a squad of thirty on ridiculous amounts.
If we have a club it will be good. We have some amazing fans and you lot all deserve a club whether you're from the town or wider afield.
Let's carry this on the way you, our brilliant fans have done over these last few weeks. The way we did many times before. This club is our sunshine and we can not let this dark time take our sunshine away.
Feck it. It starts now.
Let's follow the example of Bolton fans. They rallied last season and turned up. Get your mates or kids and drag them down.

Good chance of promotion next season as half of the clubs in Div 1 and Div 2 will end up in Administration ..with the 12 point penalty applied

Administration perhaps. 12 points I doubt it, if they could afford to appeal it that is. Unlike Barnsley fans I wouldn’t want any other clubs screwed over by this incompetent organisation, even if it benefited us. We’re better than that.

The ‘Metropolitan borough’ isn’t relevant to this debate KDZ....it never has been and never will be ....Wigan Metro Borough has a bigger population than Bolton Metro ....but is Wigan as big a town as Bolton ?....is it buggery.

1974 reorganisation was a local political construct that took us out of Lancashire...(my arse) it means nothing in this context.
Thought Bolton was one of the biggest towns in Britain one time?

It might well have been....it may still be so...but that’s the point ...Bolton and it’s immediate satellite towns have a bigger population than Wigan’s but Wigan metropolitan borough is/was bigger than Bolton metro ....courtesy of places like Leigh/Tyldesley/Boothstown being lumped in with Wigan when they are not aligned with or part of Wigan and have certainly never seen themselves as such.

I remember the Sunday tabloid headline ”Eric Cantona lives in a semi detached in Wigan!”....describing his house in Boothstown about 16/17 miles from Wigan and about 6/7 miles from Old Trafford !

Boothstown in Salford now zeb and how the fuck we ended up with the 3 ugly sisters ( Leigh, Atherton and Tyldesley ) god only knows.