Does the Squad have the fight for relegation | Page 2 | Vital Football

Does the Squad have the fight for relegation

OK posting this in the hope I have calmed down a bit. I was one of those that fully expected us to lose today, which I suppose is a sad reflection on myself, even though I was in the majority.

But, the thing is I don't mind us losing if we gave it our all, and was undone by a better team. To lose and go out with a whimper makes me believe this squad just has nothing to suggest they will fight for a place in League 1.

Teamwork - the influx of the new players, with the usual suspects out injured has proven one thing, they just cannot play together as a team, so many errors, crosses going nowhere because they are not on the same wavelength, players only seeming to stick to their designated tasks, and not really covering for each other. It's a mess and bringing more players in in the transfer window is going to add to that.

Creativity - Where is it?? We used to be great at Set Pieces and corners, you need to actually create chances to be able to score goals, and in the final 1/3 that is just not happening.

Lack of goals - I don't know what the fewest goals in a season we have scored is, but at present we could challenge it. Shooting, Heading appalling. The biggest problem is we know we will always concede, so therefore to win need to score at least twice. At the moment it doesn't look as though we can score even once!

Confidence - there is none, people say you need to get behind the team to gee them up - but even that doesn't work, so supporters don't bother now. I mean why should they make an effort when the team are resigned to losing as soon as they cross the touchline.

Stubbornness - MA STILL believes he is employing the right tactics and formation to games, he wont change.

So are this squad up for the relegation fight that make no mistake we are deep into? Simple answer NO. They have no fight, no passion, no urgency, no belief.

I have not felt this bad about a Lincoln squad since we were near the foot of the non-league, then I saw tiny glimmers of hope, but at the moment I don't.

Don't expect too much from the Crewe game, as a team that looks defeated before a ball is even kicked, often is.

But fans are making an effort- making an effort to be toxic, negative, groan continuously and voluminously every time a single pass goes astray, hurl abuse at players, boo etc.

Oh fans are making an effort all right and this will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Oisin Gallagher signed his first professional contract yesterday- if I were his dad, I'd get him out of this club at the first opportunity rather than play in front of our toxic fans.

But fans are making an effort- making an effort to be toxic, negative, groan continuously and voluminously every time a single pass goes astray, hurl abuse at players, boo etc.

Oh fans are making an effort all right and this will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Oisin Gallagher signed his first professional contract yesterday- if I were his dad, I'd get him out of this club at the first opportunity rather than play in front of our toxic fans.

if I was his dad I would say yes son work is shit but it’s necessary to pay for the rook over your head and food in your table. Also it can provide motivation to turn the boos into cheers - I will show them attitude

if I was his dad I would say yes son work is shit but it’s necessary to pay for the rook over your head and food in your table. Also it can provide motivation to turn the boos into cheers - I will show them attitude

I'd tell any of my kids never work for an employer that makes you feel like shit just because you're young and learning.....find one which doesn't. The level of toxicity over the last two weeks from the crowd I can't think I've seen since Gilbert Blades era (I'm sure there have been but, on a Sunday morning, I can't think when).

I'd tell any of my kids never work for an employer that makes you feel like shit just because you're young and learning.....find one which doesn't. The level of toxicity over the last two weeks from the crowd I can't think I've seen since Gilbert Blades era (I'm sure there have been but, on a Sunday morning, I can't think when).

you are very lucky as my experience of work is there is always an element of toxicity (culture individuals etc) to greater or lessor extent. Just don’t let the bastards grind you down.

Yes there is at present a toxicity running through the camp at the moment, but surely this forms part of the question I posed as to whether or not the squad has the fight for a relegation battle?
Booing the team is going to test the teams strength of character, are they going to wallow in self pity, act like a petulant child against the fans, and generally lose all belief? Or are they going to to pull their socks up, turn around and say "Right you bastards, I'll show you just how good I can be, then let5's see you boo!". Because at the moment it is looking like the former, and there are only one or two who are actually doing the latter.

Yes there is at present a toxicity running through the camp at the moment, but surely this forms part of the question I posed as to whether or not the squad has the fight for a relegation battle?
Booing the team is going to test the teams strength of character, are they going to wallow in self pity, act like a petulant child against the fans, and generally lose all belief? Or are they going to to pull their socks up, turn around and say "Right you bastards, I'll show you just how good I can be, then let5's see you boo!". Because at the moment it is looking like the former, and there are only one or two who are actually doing the latter.

You mean- "Will the squad behave like petulant children..as the fans are doing....and throw their teddies out the pram or pull their socks up". I can already see Fiorini petrified of the ball coming near him in case he puts a foot wrong (from the start of the game). This is a player who is held in very high regard at Man City and in the Scottish national team....we've bullied him into a shell in about 7 weeks. He is 19 years old.

So, if I was a loan player, I'd be thinking it won't be long until I go back to my parent club who can see what a basket case Lincoln is so it won't reflect on me.

And I can guarantee Man City will not be risking any of their young players on loan with us again.....self fulfilling prophecy. PL coaches talk to each other- there'll be no PL loanee next season at SB.

You mean- "Will the squad behave like petulant children..as the fans are doing....and throw their teddies out the pram or pull their socks up". I can already see Fiorini petrified of the ball coming near him in case he puts a foot wrong (from the start of the game). This is a player who is held in very high regard at Man City and in the Scottish national team....we've bullied him into a shell in about 7 weeks. He is 19 years old.

So, if I was a loan player, I'd be thinking it won't be long until I go back to my parent club who can see what a basket case Lincoln is so it won't reflect on me.

And I can guarantee Man City will not be risking any of their young players on loan with us again.....self fulfilling prophecy. PL coaches talk to each other- there'll be no PL loanee next season at SB.

Spot on. Those expecting golden boys in January to be sent on loan will be in for a similar shock as clubs will avoid us like the plague

If we can get Bridcutt, Hopper and Scully back then yes we will, have players willing to fight for the cause. They are as I important as any incoming January signings might be

Spot on. Those expecting golden boys in January to be sent on loan will be in for a similar shock as clubs will avoid us like the plague
Whilst I agree with what you and StrangelyBrown are saying, I try to look at it from another point of view, in a PL club that has success and has academy players and youngsters that are that success playing for them, the managers don't know what would happen should they or their team have a bad patch. How would this affect the player? Will they like our young Man City friend seemingly has done - retreat into their shells, afraid to make a mistake, afraid to touch the ball, or will they ride it out, determined to show why they were loaned in the first place.
I hate the fact that the crowd have seemingly made a promising young player into a plate of jelly, it is unfortunately part of football. But, football is a learning game, with ups and downs. Fiorini will probably leave here a better player, not because of the coaching, but because of the toxic environment. He will have experienced the unsavoury side of the lower reaches of football, and I guarantee he won't want to play that low again or experience it again.
If a PL youngster can handle that kind of atmosphere, he can surely handle a few losses and the prawn sandwich brigades "fury" higher up, where they are protected much more.

Well if any PL club thinks they shouldn’t loan out any player to a lower club because they midget get booed we should tell them to sod off. If a professional footballer cannot accept a chorus of booing when they’ve performed so miserably for the past month they haven’t got the minerals to be a footballer. Coping with fan pressure is part of being a professional footballer, if PL spoilt starlets cant take a bit of stick they certainly haven’t got a chance in hell of making the grade.

City need to adopt the principles of the mid lincs league. every player should be awarded a trophy for playing. With one of the players parents chosen to pick man of the match. Remember it’s the taking part not the winning that matters.
We don’t need booing and remember these refs don’t get paid vast amounts to referee games so don’t boo them.

Fiorini has been underperforming for weeks, if not months. The booing started just with the last game. Prior to that the crowd has been - when I've been there - merely subdued with occasional support and occasional moaning.

I don't buy this idea that the crowd are significantly behind Fiorini's - or any other player's - underperformance.

Last edited:
Fiorini has been underperforming for weeks, if not months. The booing started just with the last game. Prior to that the crowd has been - when I've been there - merely subdued with occasional support and occasinal moaning.

I don't buy this idea that the crowd are significantly behind Fiorini's - or any other players - underperformance.
I think you’re wrong

The most worrying art of our dip in form has been the last week against two L2 sides. Hitherto under AP we have outclassed L2…6-2 v FGR twice at Bradford 5-0 & 3-0 not just wins but maulings. We now have lost to a poor Carlisle side and Hartlepool. The reality is that our current form is of a team somewhere slightly below half way in L2.
What has gone wrong since a great battling win at Wigan?
I really don’t know but there is something fundamental amiss at the moment.
What do others think?

The most worrying art of our dip in form has been the last week against two L2 sides. Hitherto under AP we have outclassed L2…6-2 v FGR twice at Bradford 5-0 & 3-0 not just wins but maulings. We now have lost to a poor Carlisle side and Hartlepool. The reality is that our current form is of a team somewhere slightly below half way in L2.
What has gone wrong since a great battling win at Wigan?
I really don’t know but there is something fundamental amiss at the moment.
What do others think?

It's us, the fans. We're to blame.

Fiorini has been underperforming for weeks, if not months. The booing started just with the last game. Prior to that the crowd has been - when I've been there - merely subdued with occasional support and occasional moaning.

I don't buy this idea that the crowd are significantly behind Fiorini's - or any other player's - underperformance.

The booing has been growing since before the Bowers and Pitsea game

If people think that this forum, or the Club’s fan base is toxic, they should visit some others.
It’s instinctive, for some people, to lash out in the face of adverse circumstances over which they have little direct control. Especially where it concerns something that they hold dear. This football Club.
Rather than the pompous comments chastising these people, maybe just accept that the forum is just as much for those that wish to use as it as a way of letting of steam than it is for intellectual reasoning. The same goes for expressing displeasure at the game - I don’t think getting on a single player’s back does any good, but there’s little harm voicing concern at the collective at the final whistle or on this forum.

Last edited:
The booing has been growing since before the Bowers and Pitsea game

So, by your account, for about a month. I wasn't at B&P, but we won, so I doubt there was much booing at that game.

We've been underperforming for months. At home, all year with just 5(?) home wins.

I still don't buy it, although I certainly accept that booing will not help already established poor performance patterns - and that's why I don't boo.

So, by your account, for about a month. I wasn't at B&P, but we won, so I doubt there was much booing at that game.

We've been underperforming for months. At home, all year with just 5(?) home wins.

I still don't buy it, although I certainly accept that booing will not help already established poor performance patterns - and that's why I don't boo.
I think it’s more a ‘effing ell’ voiced by a number of people. Out of their seats at the same time as possession is lost cheaply in a dangerous area.
kind of like a collective uggh my god that was awful when a player breaks a leg.