Does the Squad have the fight for relegation | Vital Football

Does the Squad have the fight for relegation

Gratzimp

Vital Squad Member
OK posting this in the hope I have calmed down a bit. I was one of those that fully expected us to lose today, which I suppose is a sad reflection on myself, even though I was in the majority.

But, the thing is I don't mind us losing if we gave it our all, and was undone by a better team. To lose and go out with a whimper makes me believe this squad just has nothing to suggest they will fight for a place in League 1.

Teamwork - the influx of the new players, with the usual suspects out injured has proven one thing, they just cannot play together as a team, so many errors, crosses going nowhere because they are not on the same wavelength, players only seeming to stick to their designated tasks, and not really covering for each other. It's a mess and bringing more players in in the transfer window is going to add to that.

Creativity - Where is it?? We used to be great at Set Pieces and corners, you need to actually create chances to be able to score goals, and in the final 1/3 that is just not happening.

Lack of goals - I don't know what the fewest goals in a season we have scored is, but at present we could challenge it. Shooting, Heading appalling. The biggest problem is we know we will always concede, so therefore to win need to score at least twice. At the moment it doesn't look as though we can score even once!

Confidence - there is none, people say you need to get behind the team to gee them up - but even that doesn't work, so supporters don't bother now. I mean why should they make an effort when the team are resigned to losing as soon as they cross the touchline.

Stubbornness - MA STILL believes he is employing the right tactics and formation to games, he wont change.

So are this squad up for the relegation fight that make no mistake we are deep into? Simple answer NO. They have no fight, no passion, no urgency, no belief.

I have not felt this bad about a Lincoln squad since we were near the foot of the non-league, then I saw tiny glimmers of hope, but at the moment I don't.

Don't expect too much from the Crewe game, as a team that looks defeated before a ball is even kicked, often is.

No they don’t …. spineless collectively, as bad as I’ve seen since Tillson was in charge, they don’t look like they give a 💩

The squad might be if Walsh, Bridcutt, Hopper and Scully played every game between now and the end of the season. The Team that played today? I have to say I doubt it at present, but am happy to be proved wrong.

In it’s current state, not a chance. But, we do have the January window. The thing is, we’ve gone from looking to strengthen for a play-off shot, to the desperation of looking to strengthen to avoid an inevitable slide to the fourth tier. A lot more pressure on everyone to get things right now - the players we’ve set our sights on would have been decided upon when things looked rosier - are they going to have the resilience to dig us out of a hole? I still think we need to give MA a fair chance to use this window to grow the squad, but I fear we could end up like Doncaster if it goes pear-shaped.

As we walked through the car park pre-match, a very flashy white sports car drove in. Number plate was 0007 plus a word like BIG or something. Out stepped a man who was your stereotypical player; the haircut etc etc. I am guessing someone who has signed a pre-contract was checking us out perhaps (?) Car park men seemed to expect him. Sorry I didn't recognise him and hope the display and atmosphere doesn't put him off; although he did look a terrible poseur!

The squad might be if Walsh, Bridcutt, Hopper and Scully played every game between now and the end of the season. The Team that played today? I have to say I doubt it at present, but am happy to be proved wrong.
I hope, by the time they’re all available, it’s not already too late?

OK posting this in the hope I have calmed down a bit. I was one of those that fully expected us to lose today, which I suppose is a sad reflection on myself, even though I was in the majority.

But, the thing is I don't mind us losing if we gave it our all, and was undone by a better team. To lose and go out with a whimper makes me believe this squad just has nothing to suggest they will fight for a place in League 1.

Teamwork - the influx of the new players, with the usual suspects out injured has proven one thing, they just cannot play together as a team, so many errors, crosses going nowhere because they are not on the same wavelength, players only seeming to stick to their designated tasks, and not really covering for each other. It's a mess and bringing more players in in the transfer window is going to add to that.

Creativity - Where is it?? We used to be great at Set Pieces and corners, you need to actually create chances to be able to score goals, and in the final 1/3 that is just not happening.

Lack of goals - I don't know what the fewest goals in a season we have scored is, but at present we could challenge it. Shooting, Heading appalling. The biggest problem is we know we will always concede, so therefore to win need to score at least twice. At the moment it doesn't look as though we can score even once!

Confidence - there is none, people say you need to get behind the team to gee them up - but even that doesn't work, so supporters don't bother now. I mean why should they make an effort when the team are resigned to losing as soon as they cross the touchline.

Stubbornness - MA STILL believes he is employing the right tactics and formation to games, he wont change.

So are this squad up for the relegation fight that make no mistake we are deep into? Simple answer NO. They have no fight, no passion, no urgency, no belief.

I have not felt this bad about a Lincoln squad since we were near the foot of the non-league, then I saw tiny glimmers of hope, but at the moment I don't.

Don't expect too much from the Crewe game, as a team that looks defeated before a ball is even kicked, often is.
Your thoughts are echoed by many

I think the squad would - you'd have no problem being in the trenches with a decent number of them but as an available squad, you certainly wouldn't.

Heard some stories that major changes planned (& necessary) in January. Do some of the players know they’re days are numbered. A few playing like they are.
I've thought this after the game last week, they know they're going and are definitely playing like it.

As we walked through the car park pre-match, a very flashy white sports car drove in. Number plate was 0007 plus a word like BIG or something. Out stepped a man who was your stereotypical player; the haircut etc etc. I am guessing someone who has signed a pre-contract was checking us out perhaps (?) Car park men seemed to expect him. Sorry I didn't recognise him and hope the display and atmosphere doesn't put him off; although he did look a terrible poseur!

sorry that was me

From now on we need to be street wise, mix it up a bit and get some points on the board. I don’t care how they come diving the box route one or a corner but we need to change

From the starting team today, the defence do, the midfield forward only Macgrandles for me.

Fioroni particularly is really poor. I am amazed he starts. Bishop looked good in the first few games but offers nothing, apart from the fact he can fit in different positions.

I feel for Dan Nlululu he has no service what so ever, so has to go deeper or out wide to get the ball, he might end up being a better 10 if someone like Tyler Walker is in front of him feeding of his hard work.

When they were playing out from the back today with three defenders he was the only one who high pressed leaving an easy pass as Maguire and Adelakun weren’t pushing there men.

Last edited:
Can I let you know at about a quarter to ten on Tuesday evening as we walk away from Gresty Road (or whatever they call there now)

If we get 3 points there, something at Cheltenham and 3 points at home to Doncaster, the last two cup defeats won't matter

Bridcutt is a character and a leader and has to be out there on Tuesday and drive the other sorry lot on. Just hope Scully is not been 'saved ' for the transfer window in a deal that is almost done for big money. We need him to start for us, at least he knows what that white rectangle thing is for. Just what is meant to be wrong with him this time. All very depressing and predicable.

One of Tilson’s most idiotic failings was to indicate that were going to be big changes and numerous contracts would not be renewed at the end of that season. It is beyond belief that he thought was in any way going to encourage the existing squad. Sure enough almost every game became a capitulation.

At the moment we seem to be heading the same way: no direction, no pace, no belief, no pace no unpredictability, no pace. There need to be changes now: get us working quicker both physically and in speed of thought, change captain but keep McGrandles in the team, don’t have Fiorini in the starting eleven, while he continues to play non contact U21 and training ground football. The next two games could define our season, we cannot wait: pick leaders and believers now, before the promised reinforcements arrive in January.

I've thought this after the game last week, they know they're going and are definitely playing like it.

..but most are on permament contracts for at least the next two years. There is only Fiorini and N'Lundulu we could easily dispose of in January by cutting short their loans.

Bishop, Maguire, Brammal, Robson, Sorensen, Adelakun we won't be able to move on in January unless we can send them out on loan or terminate their contracts.

I know Grant and Edun had to leave as we received fees for them etc, but the players we moved out of the club by releasing them (Anderson, Zak, Jones, even Archibald) were better than the crop we have brought in on permanent contracts.

What I would give for a league two Harry Anderson in the team a real winger. While not the greatest we always stood a chance.