Do you believe we are in the title race? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Do you believe we are in the title race?

Can we win the PL?

• Yes, unquestionable

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Possible but will need alot of luck

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Nope, top 4 at best

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Not a chance, even of top 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know where you are coming from LT, but there is another angle to look at. We are not outscoring or winning comfortably is just as much down to us conceding too many goals. So while goals are coming from everywhere, the lack of a solid and stable midfield is making us vulnerable at the back. Compounded by extraordinary absentees at the back.

After today, we are the 2nd highest scorers in the PL @ 44. However, we've conceded 31 = worse out of the top 6 teams. Pretty obvious where the issue lies.

Season 2022-23 after 21 games, those two figures were 40 and 31 respectively.

Season 2021-22 they were 28 and 23 respectively.

So IMO the Kane argument is a red herring.

Midfield and defence weaknesses (thru enforced absences) need to be addressed.

This weekend we played Utd, and City played Newcastle. Pep's team found a way to win that game but it wasn't because of a Kane or Haaland. It was because of a KDB and a Bobb, from a strong bench in a deep squad.

For Spurs to win this league, it will be around the 6 key midfield players - Biss, Bents, Sarr, Madds, Gio, Kulu. At times only 3 might start, but having the others on the bench will be amazing.

Also worth observing that the Utd goal came from a Johnson cross. Ange allows his players to burst forward and support the wide players. When your wide forward just crosses it into the keepers hands, it's difficult to reset especially for those roving full-backs. That is forgivable from Johnson if you do it once or twice in a game. Yesterday, it felt like every cross was catching practice.

There are many ways those 3 forwards can contribute to the defensive record but it will mostly be combinations of Biss, Sarr and Bents that really help the guys behind them to tighten it up.

This weekend we played Utd, and City played Newcastle. Pep's team found a way to win that game but it wasn't because of a Kane or Haaland. It was because of a KDB and a Bobb, from a strong bench in a deep squad.

For Spurs to win this league, it will be around the 6 key midfield players - Biss, Bents, Sarr, Madds, Gio, Kulu. At times only 3 might start, but having the others on the bench will be amazing.

Also worth observing that the Utd goal came from a Johnson cross. Ange allows his players to burst forward and support the wide players. When your wide forward just crosses it into the keepers hands, it's difficult to reset especially for those roving full-backs. That is forgivable from Johnson if you do it once or twice in a game. Yesterday, it felt like every cross was catching practice.

There are many ways those 3 forwards can contribute to the defensive record but it will mostly be combinations of Biss, Sarr and Bents that really help the guys behind them to tighten it up.
Fair points guys and no problem with optimism. As Ange himself said yesterday, no system is perfect and even with our strongest side out, his setup will concede chances. In an open game we are a match for anyone. However the more we dominate the more opponents are forced to park the bus and that's when we struggle to score and where I think City and Liverpool have the edge on us. From where we were 3rd would be an amazing result.

Fair points guys and no problem with optimism. As Ange himself said yesterday, no system is perfect and even with our strongest side out, his setup will concede chances. In an open game we are a match for anyone. However the more we dominate the more opponents are forced to park the bus and that's when we struggle to score and where I think City and Liverpool have the edge on us. From where we were 3rd would be an amazing result.

Yeah, I don't know how we find that x-factor up top with existing personnel though. We also struggled with parked buses when we had the great 2017 team including Kane, Eriksen, Dele and Dembele. Perhaps the difference will be Ange making sure they don't pass up the opportunity to get the cross in or go for goal. Poch's team overplayed and turned sideways and backwards. They feared losing possession and getting hit on the counter. Hopefully, Ange tells his boys to keep creating the half chances.

Not now with that draw, if we'd have won then yes (just about)

It's likely 8 points behind Liverpool and 6 City. Really don't see us making up that many points on both of them,

Not now with that draw, if we'd have won then yes (just about)

It's likely 8 points behind Liverpool and 6 City. Really don't see us making up that many points on both of them,
Nor do I, they'd both have to go through really bad runs and we'd have to win just about every game left, but at least it shows Ange's level of ambition.

I don’t disagree with this assessment LT. However having watched Maddison and his close control especially in the penalty area and along the byline I think he will be the key to unlocking packed defencescc

Nor do I, they'd both have to go through really bad runs and we'd have to win just about every game left, but at least it shows Ange's level of ambition.

Its the other factors that are really impacting this season - injuries. I don't think anyone is immune to it this season and Man City and Liverpool are both still pushing in Europe too.

I think this could end up being one of the most open title races we have ever seen in the PL as the end of the season closes in. I still think we will finish 5th, but anything can happen still.

I don’t disagree with this assessment LT. However having watched Maddison and his close control especially in the penalty area and along the byline I think he will be the key to unlocking packed defencescc
It isn't just us who have this problem though, 54, it's all clubs.

If it was easy to break down the teams that practice it wouldn't spend so much time perfecting it on the training ground and implementing it during games.

Even if you score an early goal it can be difficult to bring teams out until near the end of the game. I watched the second half of City at home to Sheffield United a couple of weeks ago. Even when Sheffield went 2-0 down they had all eleven players camped around their own penalty. They didn't even press City in their own half (Sheffield's). They were happy to let them have the ball and invited them to break them down. It was just an exercise in damage limitation.

Good post, mate. But I think 'the fat lady' is an illegal phrase and should now be substituted by 'the woke person of no specific gender or religious affiliation'. Is that a SWAT team outside your house? I've got your back, mate. ;)
Simple reply Geof....fcuk the woke twats and the Swat team lol!

"AIN'T OVER TILL THE FAT LADY SINGS" lol!

Salah is Liverpool's top scorer with double the goals of anyone else in the team. He's now away at AFCON. This needs to severely hamper their form for us to stand a chance.

If they keep up their current points per game we'd need to win 15 of our remaining 17 games to win the league. I'm an optimist and I'm not saying that's impossible, but it would be a better run than anyone has done for some time in the prem I believe. So either Liverpool need to dip in form and City and Arsenal need to carry on being inconsistent and we edge them out, or we can afford to not win 2 more games and pick up 3 points in the rest which seems highly highly unlikely.

Overall though I expect us to improve on our first half of the season form. We've yet to see a Biss/Bents/Maddison midfield 3. Plus Werner adds options up top, and Dragusin hopefully means if we pick up another knock at CB it won't cost us as dearly. United came a week too soon for player fitness/injuries IMO but we're looking like we'll be in really good shape from here on in if we can just stop picking up so many injuries.

I went 2nd in a poll earlier this season and got a bit of stick. I still think we're probably 2nd best team in the league - but that 4 game streak that put us behind will likely mean we finish 3rd/4th even if we pick up proper momentum - an 8 point gap with our run in is too big unless Pool implode and City keep messing up.

Last edited:
People keep forgetting to mention the, 'Elephant (S) in the room here The, Ref and, VAR, how often has VAR Won or lost a game.
City won the league last year but' 'Quietly' Amassed the most awarded pens, as well.
Now like it or not these decisions can turn a loss into a draw or a draw into a win, or if given early enough, have a lesser team chasing a result which may be beyond them.
I haven't looked but I'd say they have, around 5 pens to our 1 this season so far, put those into games, we've drawn???

All teams know how Ange plays now and every game from now on will be a cup game for top 4-6 advancement or relegation avoidance - so its whether we can outscore the other team on the day. BIG ASK

People keep forgetting to mention the, 'Elephant (S) in the room here The, Ref and, VAR, how often has VAR Won or lost a game.
City won the league last year but' 'Quietly' Amassed the most awarded pens, as well.
Now like it or not these decisions can turn a loss into a draw or a draw into a win, or if given early enough, have a lesser team chasing a result which may be beyond them.
I haven't looked but I'd say they have, around 5 pens to our 1 this season so far, put those into games, we've drawn???
plus we rarely score from corners or dead ball situations - do we still have a dead ball coach from Italy?

Salah is Liverpool's top scorer with double the goals of anyone else in the team. He's now away at AFCON. This needs to severely hamper their form for us to stand a chance.

If they keep up their current points per game we'd need to win 15 of our remaining 17 games to win the league. I'm an optimist and I'm not saying that's impossible, but it would be a better run than anyone has done for some time in the prem I believe. So either Liverpool need to dip in form and City and Arsenal need to carry on being inconsistent and we edge them out, or we can afford to not win 2 more games and pick up 3 points in the rest which seems highly highly unlikely.

Overall though I expect us to improve on our first half of the season form. We've yet to see a Biss/Bents/Maddison midfield 3. Plus Werner adds options up top, and Dragusin hopefully means if we pick up another knock at CB it won't cost us as dearly. United came a week too soon for player fitness/injuries IMO but we're looking like we'll be in really good shape from here on in if we can just stop picking up so many injuries.

I went 2nd in a poll earlier this season and got a bit of stick. I still think we're probably 2nd best team in the league - but that 4 game streak that put us behind will likely mean we finish 3rd/4th even if we pick up proper momentum - an 8 point gap with our run in is too big unless Pool implode and City keep messing up.

Said the same. It's unlikely that a team that gets 1 point from 15 finishes top at the end of the season. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Saying that, I do feel that 1 point from 15 is unlikely to happen again with the strengthening we've done.

plus we rarely score from corners or dead ball situations - do we still have a dead ball coach from Italy?
"One player who seems to have found his place in Postecoglou's football is Richarlison. The Brazilian had an off-day against Burnley in the FA Cup but at Old Trafford, his strength on the ball and link-up play were excellent. He also contributed at the other end of the pitch with two tackles and one clearance.

The No.9 was rewarded for his efforts with a superb glancing header into the far corner of the net from Porro's corner. That header made it six goals in his past six Premier League matches for Richarlison and since the start of December, no player has scored more goals in the league than him, only Dominic Solanke has also scored six in that time.

In fact, those six goals are as many as the Brazil international netted in his previous 47 combined appearances beforehand.

When the ball hit the back of the net, Postecoglou whipped around and punched the air with a roar of delight at the dugout at Old Trafford and then seemingly up at the director's box. He was asked after the game who he had been aiming that first roar at.

"There's no mysteries mate, you can ask that question," he said. "Yeah, Ryan Mason is in charge of attacking set-pieces. He's done an outstanding job all year. Mile [Jedinak as well] in charge of defensive set-pieces I thought we were brilliant. We've been really good in that space all year and it's a credit to both.

"All the coaches put in a real big shift this week. We knew we were going to have players in there playing their first game for a while or first time ever and all of them to a man did an outstanding job to prepare the team."