Do you believe we are in the title race? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Do you believe we are in the title race?

Can we win the PL?

• Yes, unquestionable

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Possible but will need alot of luck

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Nope, top 4 at best

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Not a chance, even of top 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Good thread Spex
We've bought well and as I've said so many times our best 11 has still to take to the field together.
It would take a fair wind and a bit of luck, but with 6 points in it, then yes certainly 'doable' *
I'm in the possible camp..
For this season I'll take top 5

As others have said - until we mathematically can't be, we are. Whether we can actually achieve it is down to 3 things:

1. Can we keep key players like Madders fit for the rest of the season?

2. Can our defence severely cut the amounts of goals we concede?

3. Can we get the goals and assists that we will miss whilst Sonny is in Asia?

If the answers to those 3 are all yes, I see absolutely no reason why we can't push until this bitter end. We have a lot of quality that would walk into the teams we are competing with and our quality as a team has improved in a big way since last season.

As others have said - until we mathematically can't be, we are. Whether we can actually achieve it is down to 3 things:

1. Can we keep key players like Madders fit for the rest of the season?

2. Can our defence severely cut the amounts of goals we concede?

3. Can we get the goals and assists that we will miss whilst Sonny is in Asia?

If the answers to those 3 are all yes, I see absolutely no reason why we can't push until this bitter end. We have a lot of quality that would walk into the teams we are competing with and our quality as a team has improved in a big way since last season.

I had to update myself on your Sonny comment. I've seen so many sub-optimal performances from him this season that my heart was saying that we won't miss him that much.

Then I looked at WhoScored and saw 7 matches in December - 4 goals and 4 assists.

To your 3 questions, 2 is the most likely.

Don't know much about whoscored mutts, bet Richie's stats for December weren't too shabby either?!

My impression was Rich offered more all round despite not getting much service.

Do yourself a favour and take a look at WhoScored. Fantastic website.

Example - https://www.whoscored.com/Players/317804/Show/Richarlison
Scroll to the bottom and you'll see the answer to your question - 5 goals, no assists.

The match day chalkboard is also awesome.
Another Example - https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...er-League-2023-2024-Newcastle-Manchester-City
Last nights game. Click on the chalkboard, heatmap etc

Such great data and so nicely laid out.

Do yourself a favour and take a look at WhoScored. Fantastic website.

Example - https://www.whoscored.com/Players/317804/Show/Richarlison
Scroll to the bottom and you'll see the answer to your question - 5 goals, no assists.

The match day chalkboard is also awesome.
Another Example - https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...er-League-2023-2024-Newcastle-Manchester-City
Last nights game. Click on the chalkboard, heatmap etc

Such great data and so nicely laid out.
Thanks Mutts. Will take a peek and add it to my favs.

There are 2 questions here...

1 Do you believe we are in the title race?

2 Can we win the League title?

The answer to both are....YES!
Am ever the optimist!

As has been said we are there/in it until "the Fat lady sings" and until then I will never say nay! COYS

A lot of things would need to fall into place but I genuinely believe without so much bad luck we would be top of the league by now. Therefore to be there about snow with so much positives I think with some balance in our luck we have a chance

I started the season with 6th and I'll stick it to it for now.

I still think we're very vulnerable to injuries and we continue to pick them up at an alarming rate. And we still lack strength in depth in key areas.

Forster for Vicario for any length of time scares the hell out of me.

What if Maddison or VdV picked up injuries again?

Chelsea, United and Newcastle all have players returning from injury now and all are out of Europe.

At this stage I'd happily settle for finishing above Arsenal.

I still think we're very vulnerable to injuries and we continue to pick them up at an alarming rate. And we still lack strength in depth in key areas.

Chelsea, United and Newcastle all have players returning from injury now and all are out of Europe.

lol - if we finish above Arsenal, that will be third place

Our thoughts have been in sync on this from the get go.

As long as we are mathematically in with a shout, then a definite yes. Once we are back to full strength we will be a force to reckon with against anybody.
Will we ever be at full strength though? Ange seems to be very demanding in training never mind actual games. We have been scoring in every game but not so much to be winning comfortably. It's good that Son and Richie have got some goals and others have chipped in, but we no longer have a Kane, Salah or Haaland to guarantee that we win the games that we should. We're good enough for the 3rd or 4th spot but like today we'll drop points by not out-scoring when dominating.

Will we ever be at full strength though? Ange seems to be very demanding in training never mind actual games. We have been scoring in every game but not so much to be winning comfortably. It's good that Son and Richie have got some goals and others have chipped in, but we no longer have a Kane, Salah or Haaland to guarantee that we win the games that we should. We're good enough for the 3rd or 4th spot but like today we'll drop points by not out-scoring when dominating.
I know where you are coming from LT, but there is another angle to look at. We are not outscoring or winning comfortably is just as much down to us conceding too many goals. So while goals are coming from everywhere, the lack of a solid and stable midfield is making us vulnerable at the back. Compounded by extraordinary absentees at the back.

After today, we are the 2nd highest scorers in the PL @ 44. However, we've conceded 31 = worse out of the top 6 teams. Pretty obvious where the issue lies.

Season 2022-23 after 21 games, those two figures were 40 and 31 respectively.

Season 2021-22 they were 28 and 23 respectively.

So IMO the Kane argument is a red herring.

Midfield and defence weaknesses (thru enforced absences) need to be addressed.

Last edited:
Will we ever be at full strength though?
Now of course that's a fair and valid question. However, we have to acknowledge this level of injuries is almost unprecented. By the time the Asia cup and AFCON players return that will coincide with injury returning being fitter too. Surely the physio rooms will be emptying by then!!..........Sess and Lo Celso don't count!

There are 2 questions here...

1 Do you believe we are in the title race?

2 Can we win the League title?

The answer to both are....YES!
Am ever the optimist!

As has been said we are there/in it until "the Fat lady sings" and until then I will never say nay! COYS
Good post, mate. But I think 'the fat lady' is an illegal phrase and should now be substituted by 'the woke person of no specific gender or religious affiliation'. Is that a SWAT team outside your house? I've got your back, mate. ;)

We are stronger than we were last season and playing much, much better. But we're not there yet. Another transfer window and I think we'll be close. We don't have the depth in quality to cover for when we lose players to injury, suspension and other tournaments like AFCON and Asian Cup. Top 4 at best but am predicting 5th.