Dingles on Satdy | Page 6 | Vital Football

Dingles on Satdy

If we are to tamper and change things around how about today if we had started Bennet or Pearce rather than McClean at left wing back and played Wyke and Broadhead up top rather than Keane and Lang. Then perhaps Keane in midfield rather than Shinnie. All iffs but we would have the right players in the right position. Maybe we may have held them to 4.

Wake up and smell the coffee he's just not up to it bt that's not to say others arn't up to it as well, I dont think Callum Will Keane Tilty Shinnie Maginnis and Kerr are good enough either.
Now that will give you something to spit your coffee out about as well

I'm more than happy for you to start criticising other players (rightly or wrongly) Zakky ... at least it'll take away your myopic focus on the skipper.

Amazing though, isn't it, how last week, it was generally reported that it was a performance up there with the best, and this week, half the team isn't good enough,

Onwards.

If we are to tamper and change things around how about today if we had started Bennet or Pearce rather than McClean at left wing back and played Wyke and Broadhead up top rather than Keane and Lang. Then perhaps Keane in midfield rather than Shinnie. All iffs but we would have the right players in the right position. Maybe we may have held them to 4.
Herr Tinkermann eh?

;)

My two penneth on Shinnie - thought he got better as the game went on and was surprised he was taken off.

Don’t think there’s a need to overreact to one result. Lots went wrong, lots to improve on and yes we contributed to Burnley looking a decent team. However we never threw in the towel and we were still in the match until they got the 4th. The 49th minute was the pivotal moment with missing the sitter and their offside goal (seen it back and it was offside - there was even a feckin rugby line to help the linesman out) so whilst it was a large margin of victory it was a fine margin of skill and luck in that moment that impacted how the match panned out.

On a sidenote have we actually created anything from Powers long throws this season and last season? It seems to be a nailed on winner in the air for the opponents.

Think Whatmough and Nails scored from scrambles in the box from long throws last season. Also by sending players foward creates an additional chance creation opportunity. Usually gives the fullback or a midfielder lots of space for a sort quick one at times too. Anyway to gain momentum by having extra players forward for me is a positive reason to use the long throw. Even if they clear most of the time recycling possession is a given which allows another entry into the box. Also repeatedly forcing them back towards their own goal is never a bad thing.

Youre not wrong on the movement though very static, even if we switched the focus target making a run from front to back post and moved the secondary taget to the front for the flick and just rotated it between the 3 best a flick ons throughout the game we may see improvements. Currently from a standing position its never easy to make much happen.

Think Whatmough and Nails scored from scrambles in the box from long throws last season. Also by sending players foward creates an additional chance creation opportunity. Usually gives the fullback or a midfielder lots of space for a sort quick one at times too. Anyway to gain momentum by having extra players forward for me is a positive reason to use the long throw. Even if they clear most of the time recycling possession is a given which allows another entry into the box. Also repeatedly forcing them back towards their own goal is never a bad thing.

Youre not wrong on the movement though very static, even if we switched the focus target making a run from front to back post and moved the secondary taget to the front for the flick and just rotated it between the 3 best a flick ons throughout the game we may see improvements. Currently from a standing position its never easy to make much happen.

I am not against long throws but we dont seem to create a lot from it, Power struggles to get it longer than the first line of defence.

Always going to be days like this, even if we signed 11 new players in summer, all who are championship standard, your going to have a bad game or two at some point in a season.

I found Burnley impressive to be honest, liked the rotation in possession, Cullen moving into left back allowing Vitinho and Tella to essentially go 1v1 against Kerr and Darikwa then Gudmonsson staying wide on the other side. Roberts and Brownhill’s positioning themselves in the inside channel as well just dragged us over isolating Tilt. I don’t think we will see many teams coming to us this year with this sort of setup. Shades of a City setup with arguably two different sorts of attack going on.

I did feel from our point of view, looking to turn their centre halves was a good idea. Neither were dominating however we just didn’t manage to execute it well enough bar probably the last 10/15 of the first half. Keane not taking that chance early in the 2nd half turned out to be massive in hindsight.

5 down 41 to go I suppose, review it and narrow the focus on what we didn’t do or perhaps something Burnley did well which we could evolve/adapt our system or approach

Disappointed about today however looking forward to Tuesday night now.

I'd agree with that, just thought we stood off them, but they did pass and move very well and couldn't understand the team rotation from Leam, on that performance I can see them scoring a lot of goals, but at times, I thought we could have got at them at the back, they had spells where they looked shaky at the back.

They're nailed on for top 6 at worse and whereas if anyone finishes within a few points of Birmingham, they'll be in trouble, anyone finishing close on points to Burnley won't be far off going up. They were better than Norwich, though they look they're just getting going.

As for us, lots to learn and as good as the point at Norwich was, points like that are a bonus and our season will be defined more by taking points off lesser sides that we're more able to compete with. Need to put today behind us and move on, tough game Tuesday, think that will be a more physical challenge

I'd agree with that, just thought we stood off them, but they did pass and move very well and couldn't understand the team rotation from Leam, on that performance I can see them scoring a lot of goals, but at times, I thought we could have got at them at the back, they had spells where they looked shaky at the back.

They're nailed on for top 6 at worse and whereas if anyone finishes within a few points of Birmingham, they'll be in trouble, anyone finishing close on points to Burnley won't be far off going up. They were better than Norwich, though they look they're just getting going.

As for us, lots to learn and as good as the point at Norwich was, points like that are a bonus and our season will be defined more by taking points off lesser sides that we're more able to compete with. Need to put today behind us and move on, tough game Tuesday, think that will be a more physical challenge

Think the rotation was done with pressing high in mind mate. Power and Shinnie certainly joined Keane and Lang and McClean in doing so from their keeper restarts but again Burnley’s positioning was very good and they executed it well. Front players where sharp on the 2nd balls as well as moving our CB’s around when they did play into the last line.

Suppose it’s a mentally thing, the less success you have pressing high then more likely you are to drop your own intensity at some point.

Leam would have had a plan and it’s one of them things … if we got a result today after the changes, he would of been lauded as a genius. At 3-1 he decides to go for it and if Magennis scores the header then who knows how the last 15 plays out. Unfortunately today whatever he tried just didn’t work out. Some you win some you lose

We 100 % stood off them and did not high press...the amount of times they walked it out of defence unchallenged. Compare that to our efforts at playing out, their shape was bang on with nowhere to go for our backs and little help from midfield we hoofed it time after time.

I hope to see changes Tuesday...Wyke, Broadhead and Aasgard for starters.

I am not against long throws but we dont seem to create a lot from it, Power struggles to get it longer than the first line of defence.

Re the long throw ins.....I'm not sure we've created anything from these n imo need to bin it....similar to the short corner shite, today being a prime example of it, Power short corner to McClean in 2nd half n zero comes from it .

I'm more than happy for you to start criticising other players (rightly or wrongly) Zakky ... at least it'll take away your myopic focus on the skipper.

Amazing though, isn't it, how last week, it was generally reported that it was a performance up there with the best, and this week, half the team isn't good enough,

Onwards.

The secret is last week we were playing a very poor team in this standard, today we were playing a very good one. We need players nearer to Burnley's not Birmingham's

We 100 % stood off them and did not high press...the amount of times they walked it out of defence unchallenged. Compare that to our efforts at playing out, their shape was bang on with nowhere to go for our backs and little help from midfield we hoofed it time after time.

I hope to see changes Tuesday...Wyke, Broadhead and Aasgard for starters.

They had their lowest pass accuracy of the season today, 88%/88%/87% in their last three and 84%/81%% in their opening games. 77% for them today and it would of been lower before the changes.

The secret is last week we were playing a very poor team in this standard, today we were playing a very good one. We need players nearer to Burnley's not Birmingham's
I agree with all of that Zakky ... which is why I might expect one of their players to be able to nutmeg one of ours.

That said, this set of players did ok against 3 other teams that will be expecting (in turn) play offs, promotion and a top half finish.

Onwards.

I'm not so sure the majority on here are saying 'half the team isn't good enough'....it's just that we had imo a passing lesson & seen what an ex prem team can do given time & space, which again imo we gave them too much. Last week was a very good performance and I feel that the same team shud have been given the same opportunity today bit sadly it wasn't to be, had today's starting 11 gave us a stonking win or draw then LR wud have been hailed as a tactical genius but unfortunately we was on the end of a rightly / wrongly drubbing....anyway onwards to WBA Tuesday n hopefully a different result.