Dele Alli - Player Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Dele Alli - Player Thread

Record signing, Top level ACM signed, top young English attacking talent signed X TWO, retained Toby, Eriksen, Rose, & Vert, rid of Janssen, Tripps, GNK, Llorente, etc.

And we have players that've had a small chance to rest for the first time in two years.

Exactly HOW have we gone backwards in any way shape or form?

I expect we will be competing for the Prem title to the very end. And a finally healthy Dele will play a major role in us getting there.

Record signing, Top level ACM signed, top young English attacking talent signed X TWO, retained Toby, Eriksen, Rose, & Vert, rid of Janssen, Tripps, GNK, Llorente, etc.

And we have players that've had a small chance to rest for the first time in two years.

I expect we will be competing for the Prem title to the very end. And a finally healthy Dele will play a major role in us getting there.

Results and style of play are just two examples of us going backwards.

We are miles of the title challenges tag

Arsenal are better equipped

Mistakes from those 2 cost us goals in our last 2 games.

I actually think Toby and Vert are fine. I think they are being left wide open and having to cover down for the outside back inconsistent play and the constant issue of not having any DM screening in front of them. In short they are on an island with no help.

We don't play team defense when we lose the ball...our outside backs are more interested in going forward so they are always caught out of position and our mids have no interest in tracking back and defending. (Lamela may be the only one busting a gut to get back...you do not see that from Son and Eriksen...nor Lucas)

I'm not saying they're in any way the main problem, but to say our squad is no weaker because the personnel is similar ignores that with time the personnel are weakening. Toby and Vert through age, Dele, Dier, Rose through regular injuries.

I'm far from writing the squad off though. We signed some talented players and have been unlucky with injuries so far. Hopefully go on a winning run next 3 games and pick up some form and fitness along the way.

Do you still think this I'm genuinely curious?

I actually think that if Dele can get back to 100% fitness then he'll walk in the team and have a great season. I don't blame Poch for giving him rest time after CL and I'm hoping to see him on Tuesday in the Eriksen role dictating play. We just need to see him stay away from the muscle strains.

Agree about Jan and Toby as well. Yes, they are not as protected as before but if you look closely there are signs there that old father time is catching up with the pair of them. There will be days when they look like their old selves and there will be days when they're just slightly off it like we've seen recently.

I actually think that if Dele can get back to 100% fitness then he'll walk in the team and have a great season. I don't blame Poch for giving him rest time after CL and I'm hoping to see him on Tuesday in the Eriksen role dictating play. We just need to see him stay away from the muscle strains.

Agree about Jan and Toby as well. Yes, they are not as protected as before but if you look closely there are signs there that old father time is catching up with the pair of them. There will be days when they look like their old selves and there will be days when they're just slightly off it like we've seen recently.
Toby has only turned 30 this year so he shouldn't be showing visible signs of wear and tear yet, should he? Jan is well into his 33rd year so I can understand him.

Toby has only turned 30 this year so he shouldn't be showing visible signs of wear and tear yet, should he? Jan is well into his 33rd year so I can understand him.

Toby is slower than he was 2 years ago and he hasn't got younger legs alongside him to cater for him slowing down. Ditto with Jan.

For me the challenge is the combo, not the players. Take Godin and Miranda who won the league for Simeone when Toby was the understudy. Simeone let Miranda get to 31 and replaced him with Gimenez, and Godin and him became the great centre half partnership. Godin has just left at 33 and now Gimenez is 24. You can trace the same thing with Umtiti replacing Puyol and giving Pique some younger legs alongside. Pique has adapted his game but was awesome with Umtiti and latterly Lenglet. Ditto with what Varane succeeding Pepe and allowing Ramos to excel into his thirties.

It's very rare in football that you see 2 thirty somethings playing together successfully. Normally one moves on and the other gets that lease of life with a younger player. They're all great players but to be cruel to be kind you have to break up the partnership and keep one. Our problem is that our 2 centre half legends could walk out the door on the same day.

Toby is slower than he was 2 years ago and he hasn't got younger legs alongside him to cater for him slowing down. Ditto with Jan.

For me the challenge is the combo, not the players. Take Godin and Miranda who won the league for Simeone when Toby was the understudy. Simeone let Miranda get to 31 and replaced him with Gimenez, and Godin and him became the great centre half partnership. Godin has just left at 33 and now Gimenez is 24. You can trace the same thing with Umtiti replacing Puyol and giving Pique some younger legs alongside. Pique has adapted his game but was awesome with Umtiti and latterly Lenglet. Ditto with what Varane succeeding Pepe and allowing Ramos to excel into his thirties.

It's very rare in football that you see 2 thirty somethings playing together successfully. Normally one moves on and the other gets that lease of life with a younger player. They're all great players but to be cruel to be kind you have to break up the partnership and keep one. Our problem is that our 2 centre half legends could walk out the door on the same day.

As I've said for awhile; Vert has to be replaced as a matter of urgency and now I'd be doing/thinking the same about Toby as well, as I said, they're both in decline now and it's hurting us in ways many just can't see.

He’ll need more than 100% fitness, to have a great season, being a better all-round player with an improved attitude would go a long way to help. As for dictating games, I don’t think so he’s too flaky and not good enough in possession. Dwells on the ball, over elaborates and makes a simple game difficult.

Why not keep both and rotate, with the third younger CB?

He’ll need more than 100% fitness, to have a great season, being a better all-round player with an improved attitude would go a long way to help. As for dictating games, I don’t think so he’s too flaky and not good enough in possession. Dwells on the ball, over elaborates and makes a simple game difficult.

I was just thinking back to the England vs Swiss Nation League game in June when Dele was my MoM. Actually he wasn't dwelling on the ball or over elaborating. His workmate was phenomenal and he had the bit between his teeth. He looked fit and was also working in deeper areas.

I can agree we haven't see that Dele too much recently, but he's only 23 and we know he has it in him.

I was just thinking back to the England vs Swiss Nation League game in June when Dele was my MoM. Actually he wasn't dwelling on the ball or over elaborating. His workmate was phenomenal and he had the bit between his teeth. He looked fit and was also working in deeper areas.

I can agree we haven't see that Dele too much recently, but he's only 23 and we know he has it in him.

We need, a more accomplished, exponent in the role, we’re limiting ourselves with Dele Alli.

Why not keep both and rotate, with the third younger CB?

Great question.

Even though it felt like Toby and Jan were the main pairing, that's what happened last season. Toby played most and Jan and Davinson played about the same amount. Foyth a few. What's not clear though is whether this season the mix of games will change. Jan played all the big games last year and got the injury.

So it's not rotation with the 3rd younger that's important. We need 3 main guys anyway. The hardest part is the mentality of the older guys when they have to move into rotation mode. That's why they normally move on.

Dele has scaled back his outside football commercial activities including nights out. His muscle problems are being worked on with diet and yoga. He has looked more sombre in video footage . I think he is taking it seriously. I think Alli at his best was missed by England yesterday and the way Spurs are performing certainly needs him back .

Dele has scaled back his outside football commercial activities including nights out. His muscle problems are being worked on with diet and yoga. He has looked more sombre in video footage . I think he is taking it seriously. I think Alli at his best was missed by England yesterday and the way Spurs are performing certainly needs him back .

This is all good to hear.

England missed Maddison more