Death trap bridge | Page 3 | Vital Football

Death trap bridge

No point in going down the same road on here. simple thing its not safe for young and old. And through out football it’s know as the place for trouble. But that’s my thoughts. You and others have yours.

Yet, i bet my next months wages you will still use that bridge the next home game and the one after that etc, rather than pay on the stadium car park, putting a couple of pints with your mates before the safety of you and others, think about it John.

No point in going down the same road on here. simple thing its not safe for young and old. And through out football it’s know as the place for trouble. But that’s my thoughts. You and others have yours.
Have people learnt absolutely nothing from the Hillsborough disaster?

Are you right in the head. no lights on on Tuesday night WAS NOT SAFE. we are talking about a bridge nothing to do with we’re anyone parks a car. Of course I can park on the club car park. But I would have to go back over the bridge for a pint. with mates. some fans do like a bit of banter. In the pubs before games. Like banging your head against a wall. End of story.

I noticed one light out on Tuesday, in the ginnel after the bridge, one light thats it, couldnt this banter with mates be done in the Red Robin or even the stadium concourse, no need to touch that bridge then if you parked on the stadium car parks?

Always an alternative John, nothing wrong with that bridge, selfish people are the problem.

God been going to latics over 55 year and now some one telling me where to go for a drink

It isnt my place to tell you were you should or shouldn't drink, i'm just giving you alternatives and how you can avoid the danger of the canal bridge.

Although you and others are too pig headed and selfish to see sense, supporting Latics for over 50 years has bugger all to do with the canal bridge.

There's absolutely no doubt that on night matches, it's way too dark around the bridge.

If nothing else, it would make sense for the club to support an improvement to the lighting on and around the bridge ... and maybe extend the tarmac'd area in front of the steps, to as to get rid of the midden that's normally there.
Get on to Community Trust - get them to get their new Trustee to campaign for that improvement.

There is not one complaint about the bridge when people are travelling g towards the stadium so the bridge is not the problem it is fit for purpose 99.9% of the time fans leaving the stadium are the ones causing the issues.
There is a simple solution, use some temporary crowd control barriers to funnel the footfall as it comes over the River Douglas Bridge at the south east corner of the stadium, that way people will arrive at the steps in single file or two abreast, overcrowding solved.
Going to matches isn't a problem as arrival times are staggered naturally. It's going home when everyone leaves at the same time - is when there's problems.

Going to matches isn't a problem as arrival times are staggered naturally. It's going home when everyone leaves at the same time - is when there's problems.

So as I said previously, nothing wrong with the bridge the people that use it cause the problems then want someone else to foot the bill to cure it,
Put a turnstile on it and charge 2 quid a pop, Wiganers will soon find an alternative route.

Nothing wrong with valley parade till it caught fire.times change. It’s heath and safety. And on tues night that bridge was not safe. It’s not rocket science to light it up better. think we will find out it will be better in a week or so
The 2 are incomparable.
1). Valley Parade had a wooden main stand, in which they openly allowed people to smoke. It was a death trap waiting to happen.

2). The (non) issue with The Bridge isn’t new, its been there a long time, and during our Prem Days there was no doubt even more people using it after games.
The only problem I see is the attitude of the people using it...

Last edited:
He's right though. Nothing is wrong with anything...until something happens. Nothing is wrong with that bridge...until something happens. It might not happen next week, next month, next year, maybe not for ten years...but eventually someone will get seriously hurt or worse. That's why you bring these things up now, to stop it from happening before it's too late.

A bit like Covid in a warped kind of way. I would've stopped all international travel to and from the UK back in early February 2020 and enforced a sharp lockdown when Covid was ripping Wuhan to pieces but hadn't yet broken into the UK. I made it clear at the time as well (and got laughed at by friends). But the people in power dithered, did nothing and by the time they acted it was too late, Covid was here and thousands died.

Did you go over it on tues night
No, I was driving, I was parked on Car Park 4.
I did get caught up in the throng going over The Bridge near the South/East corner of the Stadium.
Seems to me people were rushing to get where they wanted to go because of the rain.

Common sense does seem to be in short supply in these parts recently ...probably a knock on effect from lockdown.

No point keep going over the same subject was only saying it wasn’t safe. Thinking of fans welfare young and old.

Then dont use it, if the hundreds of fans parking around Springfield and on pub car parks used some common sense and parked on the stadium car park that would free up the bridge for the people that really need it and also cut down the amount of "traffic" heading towards it/crossing it.

All in all it would make the bridge safer, but oh know people like you John would rather not use an alternative add to the problem if there is one then complain about it. :arrghh:

So as I said previously, nothing wrong with the bridge the people that use it cause the problems then want someone else to foot the bill to cure it,
Put a turnstile on it and charge 2 quid a pop, Wiganers will soon find an alternative route.

There is plenty wrong with it. Firstly it is inadequately lit. Secondly the steps are metal making it difficult to traverse in inclement weather. Which oddly enough it sees plenty of. Combine the two and the problem is magnified. Whoever is responsible for it will be hit with a personal injury claim should anything adverse occur.

There is plenty wrong with it. Firstly it is inadequately lit. Secondly the steps are metal making it difficult to traverse in inclement weather. Which oddly enough it sees plenty of. Combine the two and the problem is magnified. Whoever is responsible for it will be hit with a personal injury claim should anything adverse occur.

Give me an example of what personal injury claim that would be won, Canals and Rivers Trust did not build that bridge for the football, show me another footbridge in the whole canal network that has lighting, add to that the fact there will be a clause in using trust property. How many times have you heard of people falling in canals and drowning the receiving compensation because the were no railings.

Ps
I am playing devil's advocate here, I know that there is a serious probability there could be an incident but to put that blame anywhere other than fans crowding the bridge at peak times is wrong.

Last edited: