Dave Roberts CEO | Vital Football

Dave Roberts CEO

G

Here is the hugely anticipated Q & A from Dave Roberts, Vital would like to extend our thanks to Dave for taking time out of his busy schedule.

Without further ado over to Dave......................................

Lincolnsmariner
Dave, do you watch the Lincoln matches when they are at home, if not why not

Obviously I work home games, and while I have a passion for football, I do not feel my role is best served watching football. I spend my time walking and observing, and have a very hands on approach. I do occasionally have a commercial guest, and sit through the game, but other than that I tend to see parts of the game as I move around the stadium.

Codbater

Does the transfer season have as much of a Buzz for yourself and Steff as it does the fans or is it just stressful?

The closed season is actually the busiest time for me and the staff, with season tickets, commercial deals, stadium work, and building up to the season. Transfers are the most public part of this busy time, and yes it gives as much buzz inside the club as it does outside. Stress is good!!

Red Wimp
I read that match day tickets will be the same price next season. Does that include the Category A and Early-bird pricing differences?
What is the thinking behind the early-bird discounts as they do not seem universally popular with the fans.

The match day prices will be the same, and there will be Cat A games next season. The early bird is a discount for making an early commitment to the game, and to avoid the reliance on walk up on the day. The scheme also gives people the chance to obtain cheaper tickets, which can be purchased at the previous game(s), in person before the match day, or over the phone and collected on the day. They are popular, and removing the facility and reverting to full match day prices would takeaway a well used scheme. Reducing the match day prices to the early bird is not sustainable.

Luke Imp
Have any new Companies been in contact with regards to catering at Sincil Bank?

We did have some companies contact us, but none made a formal tender.

Steve Imp
Dave how frustrating is it for you and your staff when fans complain of bottle tops and how Radio Lincolnshire "have got it wrong"?

I really don’t find it frustrating. Fans pay their money, and have a right to complain and ask questions, and to be fair most club staff take that view. Everyone has issues that to them are important, and to others are not.

Devon Imp
I’m not sure if its part of your remit but anything being done about the awful sound on red imps world.it has been mentioned on here many times,as an exiled imp it is the only way we can get the match atmosphere when we can`t attend the match.

The equipment can be upgraded for redimps world, but its £3,000 approx, and even then it is dependant on the facilities provided by the away club. However, John Vickers has done an excellent job on building the central revenue received from the website, which has gone from £12,000 per year to £22,000 in the last two seasons, so this may be something we look to invest in this season, so long as the money spent gets a worth while return.

Squire of The Imps
Is there any chance that a fan could do the commentary on the RED Imps World podcast once in a while

John Vickers is always open to ideas and suggestions, and if you want to email him I’m sure he will give it serious consideration

Kimbo
Dave , can we get it right this new coming season?

Not sure if you are referring to on, off the pitch or both. But I don’t believe anyone goes to work with the intention of doing a bad job, and everyone at the club starts every day/season trying to get it right!

Dean 1
Hello Dave, what does your job as C.E.O. entail?

The Chairman and directors are all volunteers, and I run the club on a day to day basis, managing the staff, from the office, bars, stadium, shop, commercial, lottery, website, etc. While I don’t tend to interfere with the pro or youth side, I do handle the transfers, and the budget control. I also Chair the Football in the Community, which has just become a charity. What also goes with the job, is the ultimate health and safety responsibility, and I represent the club on the safety and advisory committee, and also deal with all employment issues at the club.
In a nutshell, my role is to generate as much money as possible for the manager to spend, while maintaining the best long term interests of the club, and ensuring the long term stability of the club, which I am well supported and assisted by the Directors in doing so.

Luke
Why do concessions include students when purchasing a match ticket, but not a season ticket?

A few years ago, we recognised that there was a large drop off in child season ticket holders making the transition to adults, and felt it unfair that just because a child turned 16, he then goes from say £58 to £303, when they would be on a low income. So we extended the concession price to under 21’s for all persons, and also extended the child price to U18 if still in full time education. Regarding the students, rightly or wrongly we felt people could be on an normal income, in part time education and hence get a NUS card and save, which could be unfair? (I know I did day release myself while on a full wage and got a NUS card) This is easy to control on season tickets, but not so easy to control the ages on the turnstiles, and as such we kept to the existing criteria on match day prices.
At the end of the day, we try to cater for the majority in a fair way, and not compromise the income, but there will unfortunately always be those how fall outside of any line that is drawn.

Helgy

Dave
Is the prem saturation killing local teams i see so many Lincoln youngsters in prem tops ,this deprives the club of much needed revenue.
People want to be winners so latch onto the glory teams ,a change in people perceptions perhaps?
A bit of local pride is needed Lincoln is not a suburb of Liverpool /manchester.
What can you do about it?

I agree totally with your sentiments, but to be frank I’m not sure that it is killing local teams, as buying a shirt is one thing, getting tickets and going is another! While football is still the number one sport, there are now so many other things for kids to do.

Jimmy Blee
Any further update on the progress of the access from South Park and the ground development?

...And with the potential news this week about Siemens moving site, would their existing site be of any interest to us for a local ground move.

The desire is to stay on the existing site, and the focus has and still is to get permanent access off south park. I was involved in obtaining the temporary match day access some years ago via the fire station. Obtaining permanent access is frustrating, but has to be done in a reasonable cost efficient way, and not at any price. I can say that we are now as close to securing this as we have been in the last 6 years.

Downsouthimp
I opened an online Bet365 account in Feb. this year in response to a promotion via redimps.com. I was supposed to receive a free Away shirt after my first deposit. I have been e-mailing Dave Roberts, JV and Steff Wright to chase up on this and no one has got back to me, please can you sort this out for me?

DownSouthImp, who are you? If you would like to email me, I’ll deal with it, as I have as far as I’m aware dealt with emails received. Please also forward your previous emails, so I can investigate where the breakdown in communication has occurred.

Red Wimp
Can you tell me how much I will be exactly paying for my season ticket in the co-op next season if I join the trust and have £10 discount for renewing!

Assuming you are an adult season ticket, then £303, less £10 loyalty discount = £293
If you then join the trust at the same time, and pay £15, you get £20, hence the total you pay = £288
I know the trust bit seems a long winded way to get to the £5 trust discount, but due to actions by a season ticket holder last year, we have had to involve trading standards and follow their guidelines.

CTE
Mr.Roberts, is the day to day involvement in a football still club as exiting to you as you said it was when first appointed?

It’s been 6 years now, and yes it is. I feel we are a progressive club, so there are always challenges which are exiting. Off the field I feel the club have made great improvements during that time. Clearing down a massive nett debt, the facilities improved, non-match day revenue streams greatly increased, etc.

Redclanger
Hi Dave
Please could you tell me if there is any point actually asking a question as the last couple of Q&A's appear to have been roundly ignored by the alleged subjects?

I’m ignoring that!
On a serious note, I can’t comment on previous Q&A’s, but hope I have fully answered the questions put. However, sometimes I guess people interpret questions in a different way, and respond accordingly. I also assume the site moderators have to decline some questions that are not appropriate.

Berks Imp

The away shirt sponsors: Haart informed most of their sponsored clubs in August that they would not be continuing beyond the end of the season. It seems very late in the day for us to be looking for a new sponsor when we have had 9 months notice. Your comments please.

You are correct, we were informed last august, and have been working on it since, and have contacted a lot of companies. It is difficult times, but we have an excellent commercial team, and are in a far better position than most. When we were let down badly by a previous shirt sponsor, we took the decision to split up the sponsorship into home and away, back and front, and also the shorts. The nett result was that we came out with double the money we were getting. It also means you are not looking for that one big one, and also not all your eggs are in one basket, and in our case the sum of the parts equals a greater whole.

If there is no joy in away shirt sponsorship, would you consider having a national charity on the shirts aka Aston Villa. A suggestion could be “Help for Heroes”; this would get good publicity, and maintain the link with the Services, which is enjoyed by the City and County. It may even give us a few more supporters from the services in different parts of the country. Your comments please.

It is one option, but our commercial team are fully focused on getting an income for it.

Do you consider the Trust Board to be help or a hindrance to the running of the Football Club? Could they do more?

I feel the trust act as a critical friend, and believe me do give me a tough time, but are also very supportive where needed. I feel they have a very important role to play. I am a paid up member myself, and have been so for 6 years.