D*rby to be relegated? | Page 79 | Vital Football

D*rby to be relegated?

The Ground will only be worth what the new owners want to pay for it.

In theory, they could tell Mel to stick the ground and state that they are going to build a new one; the ground then becomes close to worthless.

The only tax implications would be if a) Mel makes a profit on the sale - I think we can rule that out, and b) whatever stamp duty is due on the sale.
That ground is in a retail park though. Surely the land is far from worthless?

Brighton's Goldstone Ground became a B & Q after Dick Archer I think he was called sold it off. The hardcore Brighton fans refused to set foot in it. Time waits for no man, however, and it is now a Lidl and Pets at Home: https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/sussex-news/goldstone-ground-demolished-hove-football-5386416
Since we know that the ground is worth £80m (!), Derby cannot buy it. However, when its true value is realised (which can only be by not selling it to some bankrupt football club), it may be that Pride Park becomes some sort of Toyota franchise, or a Lidl.

Brighton's Goldstone Ground became a B & Q after Dick Archer I think he was called sold it off. The hardcore Brighton fans refused to set foot in it. Time waits for no man, however, and it is now a Lidl and Pets at Home: https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/sussex-news/goldstone-ground-demolished-hove-football-5386416
Since we know that the ground is worth £80m (!), Derby cannot buy it. However, when its true value is realised (which can only be by not selling it to some bankrupt football club), it may be that Pride Park becomes some sort of Toyota franchise, or a Lidl.
A B&M Bargains seems appropriate

They have income from conferencing; the rest of the income comes off of the back of the football.

While it does sit in a retail park, its income generation as a stand alone business, in its current form, would be negligible.

I suppose the site could be transformed into something which would generate good revenues, but how much would that cost?

It would also be reflected in the sale price.

They have income from conferencing; the rest of the income comes off of the back of the football.

While it does sit in a retail park, its income generation as a stand alone business, in its current form, would be negligible.

I suppose the site could be transformed into something which would generate good revenues, but how much would that cost?

It would also be reflected in the sale price.
I'm assuming the land would be snapped up for retail space.

I suppose it depends on demolition and build costs

I'm assuming the land would be snapped up for retail space.

I suppose it depends on demolition and build costs

That would not come cheap, and who would take a gamble when the price of retail space outside of London is plummeting.

They could do what the have done with Coventry City Centre and turn it into student housing

That would not come cheap, and who would take a gamble when the price of retail space outside of London is plummeting.

They could do what the have done with Coventry City Centre and turn it into student housing

The whole of UK urban areas should just be turned in to entertainment centres and students housing.

Then once all entertainment and academia moves online the cities should be demolished and reclaimed for nature and agricultural purposes lol.

Hopefully Derby will hold the lowest ever Prem points and EFL points total come May.
What an achievement that is
If they maintain their current points per game they'll just avoid that - Rotherham got 23 points BUT they've hardly had any injuries/suspensions yet and there'll be a fire sale in January so I think it's looking good :grinning:

The latest on their forum is regarding Gibson suing them for 45 Mill. Not that it's going to happen but it's another irritation for the potential buyers to ponder.

Derby now need to gain 27 points from 29 remaining fixtures to overtake Rotherham's dismal total from 2016- 17. In six weeks' time, they will begin to lose any of their saleable players. In the mean time, some of those players unless they are particularly keen to stay with Derby may become reluctant to play, or to play wholeheartedly, in case they pick up injuries and diminish their chances of a move. I think that the "worst team in history" in the Championship is very much on.

As a potential future disappointment, even after that pathetic points total in 2016- 2017 ( which came about without any points deduction), Rotherham still managed to get promotion back from League One at the first attempt the next season, after beating Shrewsbury Town in the play- off final. The difference I suppose for Derby is that the financial pressure they will be under (which includes the League's directed business plan) may limit their chances further. However, even then, it is sadly worth remembering that Leeds United got in the League One play- offs at the first attempt despite a minus 15 points deduction imposed in League One. A bonus fact: Leeds lost in the semi- final to Millwall, with Lewis Grabban providing the assist for the crucial goal.

Last edited:
Derby now need to gain 27 points from 29 remaining fixtures to overtake Rotherham's dismal total from 2016- 17. In six weeks' time, they will begin to lose any of their saleable players. In the mean time, some of those players unless they are particularly keen to stay with Derby may become reluctant to play, or to play wholeheartedly, in case they pick up injuries and diminish their chances of a move. I think that the "worst team in history" in the Championship is very much on.

As a potential future disappointment, even after that pathetic points total in 2016- 2017 ( which came about without any points deduction), Rotherham still managed to get promotion back from League One at the first attempt the next season, after beating Shrewsbury Town in the play- off final. The difference I suppose for Derby is that the financial pressure they will be under (which includes the League's directed business plan) may limit their chances further. However, even then, it is sadly worth remembering that Leeds United got in the League One play- offs at the first attempt despite a minus 15 points deduction imposed in League One. A bonus fact: Leeds lost in the semi- final to Millwall, with Lewis Grabban providing the assist for the crucial goal.

Wouldn't Derby only need 21 points to beat the total, as they are on -3?