Cummings coming | Page 11 | Vital Football

Cummings coming

jbacsta - 18/6/2017 12:43

Before having a go at my opinion of Joe Baker, just go on YouTube and have a look at him playing. Some people of a certain age view players of the past with rose tinted glasses and come out with some stupid comments.

Yes, and you are very good example of that.

mao tse tung - 18/6/2017 19:26

Before having a go at my opinion of Joe Baker, just go on YouTube and have a look at him playing. Some people of a certain age view players of the past with rose tinted glasses and come out with some stupid comments.

:19:

I reckon if you play a game between teams "as they were"", any of the great teams from, say, a decade apart, the later one would win 8/10 times, just because of the development in science and how fit they are these days.

If you put players from different eras in the same era in terms of coaching and training, it'd be a different story.

Players from a few decades ago would be like watching a match of veteran pros versus today's players.

wesimmo - 18/6/2017 21:51

mao tse tung - 18/6/2017 19:26

:19:

I reckon if you play a game between teams "as they were"", any of the great teams from, say, a decade apart, the later one would win 8/10 times, just because of the development in science and how fit they are these days.

If you put players from different eras in the same era in terms of coaching and training, it'd be a different story.

Players from a few decades ago would be like watching a match of veteran pros versus today's players.

Probably right. I once had the experience of watching Stanley Mathews in a match and for pure skill I've never seen anything like it. And that was in the days of nasty tackles too.
Would be interesting to see how he'd go in todays game, doubt it would be the same somehow.

He seems to be a striker that plays off another striker, rather than on his own. (although I haven't seen him play).

As such, how is he going to fit in to MW's system which, whether he plays 4-3-3 or 3-4-3, doesn't lend itself to this type of player?