Crystal Palace FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur | Page 8 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Nick Real Deal - 25/2/2018 18:18

A scrappy performance. Palace defended pretty well and Roy set them up the best way he could.

I think the ref was Palaces Friend. With 2 pens at least being denied. Some poor finishing strangely by Kane and it adds up to 1 goal instead of 4 which would have reflected the game better.

How can some say we couldn't break them down first half with two pens and a sitter from Kane ?

Aurier saved our arses with a scary challenge in the box but I agree his crossing was poor....it had been since he got here. He made the runs and threatened up until he crossed. Poch needs to work on that. He would be better shooting from wide like his goal that time.

I thought Alli and Lamela did ok, Eriksen off his game a little. Dembele didn't boss them as much as he usually does. Got knocked off the ball a few times and that takes some doing.

I'm not surprised it was tough but the ref didn't help. He ain't our Friend.

Why would we want Aurier shooting from wide when he doesn't have the technique to accomplish it. His shooting is like his crossing close his eyes, make poor contact a wild swing and hit in hope. FFs £22m for a brain-dead hit the first man at every opportunity Sunday league player.

I hope Poch will give KWP a run out soon at his position of RB. The lad hasn’t really been given a chance and he surely can’t be any worse than the clown we had today.

I agree about KWP. He deserves a chance . With Poch having the reputation of youth developer it don't ring true.

My point about Aurier crossing was he could aim at the goal as a target which is much bigger than the man he keeps failing to pick out. A kind of zonal method. Put it in the area of uncertainty .

Pitch was appealing for a premier league pitch and it aided them almost as much as it hampered us.

The ball was bobbling about and bouncing like it was made of air.

15 games unbeaten now - back in the top 4 on merit.

vinniecopenhagen - 25/2/2018 13:43

Even Moura has caught the Epidemic.

I was there - it was the pitch - it was catching everyone out, up close it looked like a series of molehills or a herd of cattle had been let lose on it - I would be at all surprised it was prepared like that on purpose.

It's why you so so many mad shot attempts, poor crossing and weird bounces.

Total attempted crosses = 28, successful 3.

Aurier, 4 attempts at crossing 0 successful.

Verses=

Eriksen 11 crosses attempted, 2 successful

Davies 5 crosses attempted, 1 successful

hmmmm.... need I go on?

Harry-Kari - 25/2/2018 17:30

Some on the luvvies side of the site think Aurier played well. Glad we have this part of the site away from the loonies.

he had a shocker - but he's also shown he's much better than this....

IT was an extraordinary rant by Neville. He was like a dog with a bone. Not a very professional piece of journalism. Surely the pure class of City deserved more praise. Does he have a grudge against them?

Wasn't a good performance at all and if we had draw then we would get slaughtered and rightly so. One of the most frustrating games I've watched of ours for a long time

ScottDaYid - 26/2/2018 09:33

Wasn't a good performance at all and if we had draw then we would get slaughtered and rightly so. One of the most frustrating games I've watched of ours for a long time

It's funny, not once did I think we wouldn't win. We were just so dominant. My friend I was with, was just like you, in bits and pulling his hair out - but I just said, "we'll win this"

If Harry had been on song, he should have had another hat trick.

Agree Ex...only once did I think we would lose it and that was down to 'spurseyness in my mind'

however as far as balls into the box goes...

Others have said it down to no pre-season for e.g Aurier. Well I caannot accet this.... we cannot ignore how lack lustre some of our players were in their inability to put in a telling ball into the box. This is fundamental stuff...not rocket science, not fitness, not speed, not lack of it is about skill and application and not having an off day (Eric).

Maybe it is Poch's tactics...he wants to keep possession above all and so trains our team to turn back rather than attack the line and cross back to players running into the area. (Son being the exception imo).

Funny how Walker and Rose pairing were never great crossers and now we have Aurier and to a lesser extent Davies who do not seem to have mastered the art. Trippier and CWP are better at this aspect though, but do not seem to be in vogie at the moment.

Greavswasthegreatest - 26/2/2018 10:06

Agree Ex...only once did I think we would lose it and that was down to 'spurseyness in my mind'

however as far as balls into the box goes...

Others have said it down to no pre-season for e.g Aurier. Well I caannot accet this.... we cannot ignore how lack lustre some of our players were in their inability to put in a telling ball into the box. This is fundamental stuff...not rocket science, not fitness, not speed, not lack of it is about skill and application and not having an off day (Eric).

Maybe it is Poch's tactics...he wants to keep possession above all and so trains our team to turn back rather than attack the line and cross back to players running into the area. (Son being the exception imo).

Funny how Walker and Rose pairing were never great crossers and now we have Aurier and to a lesser extent Davies who do not seem to have mastered the art. Trippier and CWP are better at this aspect though, but do not seem to be in vogie at the moment.

The weird thing is; so many of Harry's goals come from crosses....

Have to agree our crossing has been poor for sometime - it is a conundrum - I don't mind singling out Aurier as some have done - but the stats show that the WHOLE team were just absolutely dreadful at it yesterday...

That said, I promise you that the pitch was rutted like a cow field and it was making control, at times seem utterly comical...never ever seen a PL pitch that bad in a very very long time - and it seemed to me, that our players hadn't either and were struggling with it - the bounce of the ball at times was simply quite bizarre!

Must admit, I'm, still baffled at how a Premier league player can't consistently beat the first man on their crosses. It seems every player is obsessed with only crossing it with pace and spin a foot or so above the heads of an opposition player. When your names David Beckham you can clearly do it. When your name is Ben Davies you should just stick to what you can do. Either cross it along the ground in behind the centre halves or float it in and let Kane put the pace on the ball. Also, choosing the right moment to cross it is a massive problem under Poch. Our crosses are too delayed if they come in at all. Sometimes our player checks and goes backwards or sideways again rather than whipping it in. Over the season it is probably the reason why our goal difference is inferior to both Utd and Liverpool who are way better at getting their crosses into dangerous areas.

FBs get a lot of stick when it comes to crossing, it's not as easy as some think. The fbs with most assists are Davies, Walker and creswell all on 5. Crossing is a % game with low chance of a successful cross being scored. Usually the fb has one target marked by a number of defenders then has to rely on players converting good crosses.

Just watched MOTD highlights again and I have to say, either their editing makes him look better than he is but I don’t think Aurier has as bad a game as some say!

His Miss was terrible but beyond that, I thought he wasn’t much worse than any other offender. He made a goal saving tackle, yes it could have been a pen but wasn’t and he got the ball, great challenge in the end.