Cowley or Appleton | Page 4 | Vital Football

Cowley or Appleton

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the out-tacticed Sean Dyche thing. I guess we did get them with a set piece routine etc but fundamentally we just Burnley-ed Burnley. Probably not Dyche's finest hour. If you watch that Youtube thing where the Cowleys talk about how they did it, just making the pitch really small and tucking in our players, I don't think it was that revolutionary! Most insightful was maybe noting that with Flanagan left back and right footed it meant the space to control was even smaller and he wasn't going to zip down our right and exploit that space if we were really compact.

Not to underplay the achievement, amazing to beat them four leagues apart and that was a brilliant team. Think the team spirit and momentum etc is probably an important part of it!

Well both managers had exactly the same opportunities to examine their opponents, evaluate their strengths and weaknesses and come up with a game plan to deliver success. I don't recall saying it was a "revolutionary" tactic (there surely isn't one any more in football are there? Most tactics are evolutions now rather than revolution?)

Dyche is acknowledged as a bit of a tactical master at being the underdog and finding a way to win against the odds isn't he? And he's obviously not an idiot.

As for team spirit and momentum, both are things that many were praising in the Burnley squad at exactly that time...

Well both managers had exactly the same opportunities to examine their opponents, evaluate their strengths and weaknesses and come up with a game plan to deliver success. I don't recall saying it was a "revolutionary" tactic (there surely isn't one any more in football are there? Most tactics are evolutions now rather than revolution?)

Dyche is acknowledged as a bit of a tactical master at being the underdog and finding a way to win against the odds isn't he? And he's obviously not an idiot.

As for team spirit and momentum, both are things that many were praising in the Burnley squad at exactly that time...

Sorry, my point is more around how far tactics won/win football matches.I think most lower league teams would play that way against most Premier League teams, that's all.

And yes it was being team spirit was praised in that Burnley side, but they did rotate a little bit and we'd won 15 out of the last 18 going into it. That Lincoln team was fantastic - I'm actually less convinced the current side or indeed the Cowley league two side was capable of such a run when in theory tactically and technically we'd be better.

Again not denigrating the achievement!

Sorry, my point is more around how far tactics won/win football matches.I think most lower league teams would play that way against most Premier League teams, that's all.

And yes it was being team spirit was praised in that Burnley side, but they did rotate a little bit and we'd won 15 out of the last 18 going into it. That Lincoln team was fantastic - I'm actually less convinced the current side or indeed the Cowley league two side was capable of such a run when in theory tactically and technically we'd be better.

Again not denigrating the achievement!

I agree and have said so before that only that team could have achieved that run. It had that "something" that made it really special.

Well that "something" was i) incredible fitness and ii) both a will to win and attention to detail second to none...

Absolutely. But I rather meant in comparison to the Cowley teams that followed, one of which won the EFL and the other a L2 championship.