Cowley or Appleton | Page 3 | Vital Football

Cowley or Appleton

Good thread, a few on here don’t like discussion, especially if you are saying the sun isn’t shining out the current regimes back passage or posing a interesting question that even slightly suggests something against the grain.

MA won’t give two hoots about a thread on here.

Anyways, to the question, MA for me has put us in a better place this season, compared to how I believe DC and NC would have, with the spending and the ambition to get as far as quickly as possible.

The decision to get rid of the high earners as said has been 100% correct.. almost as if the board had seen this coming (one for the tin foil hat brigade and the people who think 5g has caused this).

I also think MA will have us in the right place with sustainability. MA has my vote.

Spot on !

Good thread, a few on here don’t like discussion, especially if you are saying the sun isn’t shining out the current regimes back passage or posing a interesting question that even slightly suggests something against the grain.

A few people have said they don't think it is fair to discuss this and they have every right to do just that.

To say the things you have just because a few people have said they don't think it should be discussed is actually out of order.

I have had my say on the thread, but I haven't stopped anything from being discussed.

Cowley can't build a young team, Appleton thrives off of building a young team. We over spent with the Cowley's, Appleton has come in and got rid of massive earners in January. We couldn't sustain the Cowley's method, they need big budgets for that, we haven't got it.

Appleton is the Manager to get us up the League and to the next level. Cowley wanted a quick run to the top.

Managers shouldn't have to get the crowd going, we should get ourselves going. We play much better football under Appleton and we were far to direct under the Cowley's (Huddersfield fans are saying that at the moment.) The fans have stayed because we're Lincoln City FC, not Cowley FC.

Sorry but I dont agree. It wasnt that Cowley couldn't build a young side it was more of the fact he knew the the sort of players you need to be a successful side that is capable of challenging for play offs and automatic promotion in the leagues we were in and that is a blend of young ( not 18 and 19 year olds with no experience) and older players some with a few seasons experience and some with a wealth of experience.
On the money side Cowley came in at a time when we were sinking fast and money had to be invested or we would probably be in oblivion now. Their skill at building the right kind of team resulted in the 3 seasons we had under them and were times that tend to come round once or maybe twice in a lifetime. The way they built on success created money which was invested into players and training facilities. When we actually won league 2 I think we had the 5th biggest budget in the division that season so that proves they were getting the best and even more out of what was a good squad with a mix of younger and more experienced players.
I agree with you that we didn't have the finances to get us to the next level with the Cowley's and that was disappointing because who knows what would of happened but they moved on and that is football but let's get this right we are sitting in a almost full stadium and have nearly 6500 season ticket holders because of them. Whether we can maintain that level is now the responsibility of Michael Appleton and his challenge is now going to be completely different to that of the Cowleys. As you say we do play some decent football under Appleton but there are also some aspects of our play I have reservations about but as I have said he shouldn't be judged yet. He has now had his settling in time , now he has to have some bedding in time to bring in his own players and establish exactly how he wants us to play before he can be fairly judged but as plenty have said before at the end of the day that will be on the basis of results....end of.

I think the massive elephant in the room is the fact that most of our players contracts expire at the end of June and if those players our going to stay onboard for the uncertain future of football!

Cowley can't build a young team, Appleton thrives off of building a young team. We over spent with the Cowley's, Appleton has come in and got rid of massive earners in January. We couldn't sustain the Cowley's method, they need big budgets for that, we haven't got it.

Appleton is the Manager to get us up the League and to the next level. Cowley wanted a quick run to the top.

Managers shouldn't have to get the crowd going, we should get ourselves going. We play much better football under Appleton and we were far to direct under the Cowley's (Huddersfield fans are saying that at the moment.) The fans have stayed because we're Lincoln City FC, not Cowley FC.

They pretty much made their own budget for the first season in League 2 with their promotion from the conference season. Given their success in their first season back in the League (won a national trophy, made the playoffs) I reckon they'd more than earned a little faith from the board that they would deliver promotion.

Its a very hard one especially for the guys overseas regarding engaging community etc

i liked the cowleys and no one can knock the fact they did exceedingly well . Took a ailing team and club along with the board to new levels not seen . I always thought new opportunities were in there horizon and i cant knock them for that . i actually thought they would go in the pre season .

I like Michael Appleton and he will probably have a harder job he has to not only sustain the clubs position in league 1 and also bring through younger players which he obviously loves doing with the academy set in place i think he will thrive in the role

Long term i think he is a better fit and will be prepared to take time to build within a budget. wheres i could be wrong but think the cowleys had a different agenda and wanted to do everything today.

Overall i think both sets of managers were the right pick at the right time. So we are lucky to have the board and people in the roles below doing the right thing for the club. im sure mistakes will be made but the future is bright.

The Cowleys are the best managers Lincoln have ever had (and the best up and coming managers in the country)... so obviously them. Prior to joining Huddersfield pretty much everyone was of that opinion.. a lot of short memories.

The Cowleys are the best managers Lincoln have ever had (and the best up and coming managers in the country)... so obviously them. Prior to joining Huddersfield pretty much everyone was of that opinion.. a lot of short memories.
The Cowleys were great for the situation we were in and I still say hello and thanks on the odd occasion I've seen Danny keeping fit in Uphill Lincoln. Appleton is a great fit for where we are now and probably for a post-covid football world. Most managerial appointments fail to a degree, but I remain optimistic. The thing both managers seem to share is an intensity and deep thinking about the game. They seem a long way from managers like Holloway and I am personally glad of that.

You've just opened up another avenue of debate there – the best managers City have ever had. It's very subjective of course, but there are counter arguments in favour of Bill Anderson, Graham Taylor and Colin Murphy, and perhaps Keith Alexander...

A few people have said they don't think it is fair to discuss this and they have every right to do just that.

To say the things you have just because a few people have said they don't think it should be discussed is actually out of order.

I have had my say on the thread, but I haven't stopped anything from being discussed.

I can’t see how it isn’t fair to discuss on a football discussion board, if you don’t think the topic is productive then don’t post in it, rather than making out the OP has committed murder.

It wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular, just an observation in general, on how these type of threads go down on here.

I can’t see how it isn’t fair to discuss on a football discussion board, if you don’t think the topic is productive then don’t post in it, rather than making out the OP has committed murder.

It wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular, just an observation in general, on how these type of threads go down on here.

Well said.
Quite puzzled as to what Jules is unhappy about on this. We must have multiple multiple posts about merits of managers, players and all sorts. It's one of the fundamental parts of following any football club to drone on incessantly about all aspects of your club.
But Jules puts in a massive load of work running all this so he is also entitled to be miffed at things.
C'est la vie.

Quite puzzled as to what Jules is unhappy about on this.

I've shared what I think about the topic but I haven't stopped anyone talking about it, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is.

Why not just accept the fact that I and others are entitled to think that it shouldn't be discussed?

I've shared what I think about the topic but I haven't stopped anyone talking about it, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is.

Why not just accept the fact that I and others are entitled to think that it shouldn't be discussed?

And that's exactly what I said. That you are entitled to think what you think. I agrred with you!

And I also agree with what Eastville was saying in his praise for Appleton and what he's done to date.

Depends what you’re looking for? Cowley is up there with Klopp as the one of the best motivators and public speakers in management. They could get an extra 5% out of most players.

But tactically, I would expect Appleton to top Cowley most times.

Different times call for different people. Gun to my dogs head, think I’d take the Cowley’s. But I’ve made a lot of bad decisions before

Depends what you’re looking for? Cowley is up there with Klopp as the one of the best motivators and public speakers in management. They could get an extra 5% out of most players.

But tactically, I would expect Appleton to top Cowley most times.

Different times call for different people. Gun to my dogs head, think I’d take the Cowley’s. But I’ve made a lot of bad decisions before

Danny and Nicky out-tactic'ed Sean Dyche, not an easy thing to do...

Danny and Nicky out-tactic'ed Sean Dyche, not an easy thing to do...
True, someone who is likely going on to manage a club competing in Europe regularly.

That was a very weird game,
we told everyone what we were going to do
We did what we said we were going to do
Burnley were somehow surprised by and not prepared for what we did.

True, someone who is likely going on to manage a club competing in Europe regularly.

That was a very weird game,
we told everyone what we were going to do
We did what we said we were going to do
Burnley were somehow surprised by and not prepared for what we did.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the out-tacticed Sean Dyche thing. I guess we did get them with a set piece routine etc but fundamentally we just Burnley-ed Burnley. Probably not Dyche's finest hour. If you watch that Youtube thing where the Cowleys talk about how they did it, just making the pitch really small and tucking in our players, I don't think it was that revolutionary! Most insightful was maybe noting that with Flanagan left back and right footed it meant the space to control was even smaller and he wasn't going to zip down our right and exploit that space if we were really compact.

Not to underplay the achievement, amazing to beat them four leagues apart and that was a brilliant team. Think the team spirit and momentum etc is probably an important part of it!