#COVID19 | Page 985 | Vital Football

#COVID19

From Tim Spector OBE, lead scientist on the ZOE COVID Symptom Study app and Professor of Genetic Epidemiology at King’s College London...

As the UK slowly exits lockdown, I’m encouraged to see COVID cases continue to fall with our rates among the lowest in Europe. In fact, the UK closely mirrors cases in Israel with its exemplar vaccine programme. Based on our data and countries like Israel, I believe the fall in cases since January is mainly thanks to the vaccination programme and less about the strict lockdown the UK has been under since late December. With up to 60% of the population vaccinated and around 5-10% with natural immunity due to infection, we’re starting to see herd immunity take effect. This should prevent future large-scale outbreaks. However, we do expect to see smaller, manageable outbreaks in the coming weeks and months among groups which are yet to be vaccinated.”

Also yay Indian variant in the UK, which has 2 different spikes of concern. Not enough study yet to know how concerned we should be though.

Also yay Indian variant in the UK, which has 2 different spikes of concern. Not enough study yet to know how concerned we should be though.

Lockdown in October I keep saying. Be nice if the butcher would start doing something or anything about this rather than just going on about the vaccine & lining his pockets

This is the real and immediate consequence of slashing the 'foreign aid' budget.
Similar problems are stabbing groups tackling climate change, other environmental catastrophes, diseases that are currently neglected in this country, and food security.

Brexit makes this far worse because, for example, the EU science funding (where we dominated in influence, expertise and funding wins) that had been promised by gov to cover our applications and existing portfolio is being siphoned off the UK research council's budget who are facing crippling cuts from that direction as well. So we are losing billions over the cycle in direct funding and uncountable wealth and security that would have flowed from the outputs. The frameworks have also been recklessly damaged and likely won't survive to the levels they were at. Our expertise, and the financial return for UK plc, will diminish rapidly and horribly.

I despair. We desperately need fundamental change.

'We' are idiots.
An area where we are genuinely world beating. Makes you weep.

Wow, at a time where we are trying to resume some semblance of normality with variants popping up all over the place.

It's the one area I've consistently praised this government too...

Tbf the USA have been embarrassingly negligent with sequencing. So this is somewhat late to the party.