#COVID19 | Page 699 | Vital Football

#COVID19

All London primaries are shutting after a government U-Turn.

The police Federation chief has argued that police should be prioritised for the vaccine along with vulnerables and the NHS, as they are on the frontline and sickness amongst police could cause all sorts of problems.

I think he is absolutely right and both police and fire service should be prioritised
I live in Folkestone and last few weeks we had chaos with lorries on the motorways, with 24 hours notice local soldiers were taken off Xmas leave with their families to help with this problem, they helped test lorry drivers for covid with minimal ppe

surely more of front lines priority than fire brigade

I can only see the military tile growing in this situation

Right...nothing to do with people ignoring simple instructions And carrying on as if nothing had happened? That’s nothing to do with the rise is it....
What instructions are you referring to?

Could it be "it is your national duty to go back to your place of work"?

Or "we'll be back to normal by Christmas"?

Or when the chancellor paid us all to go out?

Your attitude here is an absolute dream for the PM. He wants you to be convinced that this is all down to idiots (which, of course, never includes you or your friends) who have ignored the rules.

But compliance with the rules has been extremely high. We all tut tut when we read those stories of a party of 100 being broken up. But those are a microscopic fraction of the population.

Most people who have caught this have done so by following the rules at the time; the problem has been that the rules have always been reactive rather than proactive and so too damned late

I live in Folkestone and last few weeks we had chaos with lorries on the motorways, with 24 hours notice local soldiers were taken off Xmas leave with their families to help with this problem, they helped test lorry drivers for covid with minimal ppe

surely more of front lines priority than fire brigade

I can only see the military tile growing in this situation
I wouldn't have put the military in there because they aren't meant to be out there keeping order or saving lives necessarily; but if that changes and they are required to take more of a frontline role, such as you suggested in Kent then they absolutely should be.

For me, any of the major life saving and order preserving branches should be first priority

Firstly, i'm not sure why you are quoting me to disagree with Mao, since I have not labeled our vaccine programme pathetic.

Secondly, quoting a second country as more pathetic wouldn't make the first country less pathetic. That's a very poor argument.

I am personally skeptical of the figures being given; we are hearing 524,000, we are hearing 700,000, I have read 950,000 and now you are saying 800,000.

If your figure is right then our vaccine programme is well behind schedule; it doesn't help me one bit that France is even further behind.

What's more, several of the papers that are more supportive of the government have been scratching their heads as to why there is a significant vaccine shortfall, given that Mr Hancock promised we would have 30m doses of Oxford by September

Bearing in mind no vaccines were approved when did Hancock "Promise" 30m doses by September ? Even if he did, I would rather have a government being positive, than one telling us this will never come to an end.

I actually quoted you because you always imply that our government is slow and blame them for everything. The figure I have used circa 800,000 is actually the same figure you used. From your source (not sure what it was) the figure was (if I remember correctly) 786,000 which to me is nearly 800k, but you called it 700k and implied our government was being slow at vaccinating.

I wouldn't have put the military in there because they aren't meant to be out there keeping order or saving lives necessarily; but if that changes and they are required to take more of a frontline role, such as you suggested in Kent then they absolutely should be.

For me, any of the major life saving and order preserving branches should be first priority

The military are helping in hospitals already on the quiet.

The actual number of vaccinations is bound to keep changing. Personally i'm surprised that along with the daily deaths etc we don't get a daily vaccination report, which at least would provide SOME good news. Guess some of the confusion is down to the fact that Scotland figures seem to be separate.

From the mirror

In England 786,000 people have had a first dose of the Pfizer vaccine, with 264,406 jabs in Christmas week, while 944,539 have had the vaccine in total throughout the UK.

Bearing in mind no vaccines were approved when did Hancock "Promise" 30m doses by September ? Even if he did, I would rather have a government being positive, than one telling us this will never come to an end.

I actually quoted you because you always imply that our government is slow and blame them for everything. The figure I have used circa 800,000 is actually the same figure you used. From your source (not sure what it was) the figure was (if I remember correctly) 786,000 which to me is nearly 800k, but you called it 700k and implied our government was being slow at vaccinating.
I am not a sychophant or fanboy for this government, and like any government in my lifetime I will criticise and hold it to account in my own, small, way.

We elected these people to be the best o of us. We elect them to get it right.

It's bizarre to think that many people would have very little toleration of some bad results, signings, or even substitutions of a football manager and call for him to lose his job; yet would excuse absolutely anything the most unfit prime minister of my lifetime does.

You like comparisons, how about Germany, currently on fewer than 30,000 dead with a higher population than ours. Throw in Japan, South Korea and a number of other Asian countries that have crazy population densities. And in this country, your PM was on holiday for the start of this crisis.

As for the promise of 3m doses in September, take it up with the Daily Mail.

Screenshot_20210101-201546_BBC News.jpg

I am not a sychophant or fanboy for this government, and like any government in my lifetime I will criticise and hold it to account in my own, small, way.

It's bizarre to think that many people would have very little toleration of some bad results, signings, or even substitutions of a football manager and call for him to lose his job; yet would excuse absolutely anything the most unfit prime minister of my lifetime does.

You like comparisons, how about Germany, currently on fewer than 30,000 dead with a higher population than ours. Throw in Japan, South Korea and a number of other Asian countries that have crazy population densities. And in this country, your PM was on holiday for the start of this crisis.

For an educated person, you have a remarkable ability to choose derogatory terms in any discussion. You view Brexit/ Tories/ Boris with brown tinted glasses. Boris has made a lot of mistakes, but I'd rather have an optimistic PM trying to boost the country than anyone telling us that we are all doomed.

For every person that thinks that we locked down too late , there is another one saying we should never have lockdowns. For every person who thinks he gave too much away in the deal, there is another person saying we needed a closer deal. No PM since Winston Churchill has had so much to deal with, not helped by the fact he's been ill.

The proof of what he can do will only come longer term. The government invested in the Oxford vaccination, but will get no praise for that. One day into Brexit we have removed VAT on female sanitary products, and banned using electric shocks for fishing. Things will go wrong, but at least I'm prepared to wait, rather than moan about numerous things which haven't actually happened.

The government has also bought far more vaccinations than required, hedging its bets, whilst the EU hasn't bought enough for one jab per person, and is way behind rolling it out.

What is happening regarding the UK and covid is tragic, but you are very naive if you believe people are sticking to the rules. I live on the top of a hill, and am at home quite a lot. Most people only have some visitors, but I can assure you that very few are sticking to the rules regarding family visiting.

Other than Germany, you compare us with mainly Asian countries who may have their own reasons for lower levels of deaths. Off the top of my head some of the following link to higher death rates, and we seem to suffer from most of them.

Elderly population
Population density
Obese population
High levels of transits into the country
Previous exposure to SARS (probably helps Asian countries)
Reaction of population to rules

I'm sure there's plenty of others. Why didn't Wales (Labour) and Scotland (SNP) lock down earlier ? People say they couldn't, but they seem quite capable of going their own way now.

For an educated person, you have a remarkable ability to choose derogatory terms in any discussion. You view Brexit/ Tories/ Boris with brown tinted glasses. Boris has made a lot of mistakes, but I'd rather have an optimistic PM trying to boost the country than anyone telling us that we are all doomed.

For every person that thinks that we locked down too late , there is another one saying we should never have lockdowns. For every person who thinks he gave too much away in the deal, there is another person saying we needed a closer deal. No PM since Winston Churchill has had so much to deal with, not helped by the fact he's been ill.

The proof of what he can do will only come longer term. The government invested in the Oxford vaccination, but will get no praise for that. One day into Brexit we have removed VAT on female sanitary products, and banned using electric shocks for fishing. Things will go wrong, but at least I'm prepared to wait, rather than moan about numerous things which haven't actually happened.

The government has also bought far more vaccinations than required, hedging its bets, whilst the EU hasn't bought enough for one jab per person, and is way behind rolling it out.

What is happening regarding the UK and covid is tragic, but you are very naive if you believe people are sticking to the rules. I live on the top of a hill, and am at home quite a lot. Most people only have some visitors, but I can assure you that very few are sticking to the rules regarding family visiting.

Other than Germany, you compare us with mainly Asian countries who may have their own reasons for lower levels of deaths. Off the top of my head some of the following link to higher death rates, and we seem to suffer from most of them.

Elderly population
Population density
Obese population
High levels of transits into the country
Previous exposure to SARS (probably helps Asian countries)
Reaction of population to rules

I'm sure there's plenty of others. Why didn't Wales (Labour) and Scotland (SNP) lock down earlier ? People say they couldn't, but they seem quite capable of going their own way now.

This is horse shit. Science was virtually unanimous, even Driving Dom agreed. Boris didn't because his main priority was his popularity rather than saving lives.

False hope and lies also quickly erodes trust something that is absolutely crucial at this time.

To put it in perspective...

We're the problem. Us humans. A guy called Malthus noticed that our reproduction rate meant we'd eat all the food and need to be cut back by famine, war or pestilence.

The cheeky virus mimics us. It's mutated and upped its reproduction rate. Ultimately futile - if it was a deadly virus that would just kill off its host, but as it's not that lethal we're stuck with the consequences.

Much as I despise this government, I agree that the main aim is preventing the NHS being overwhelmed. Otherwise I'd agree with Will, as my instincts are libertarian.

When we get through this, our top priority should be the way we interact with nature and with animals. Ideally, citizens would rise up worldwide and overthrow governments that went for the easy dollar - like feeding meat to cows, leading to BSE. Lucky that wasn't so bad for humans.

But capitalism is pretty ingrained. May take a long time, and more likely we'll go under thanks to human graft and greed. Still, it was nice knowing you.

This is horse shit. Science was virtually unanimous, even Driving Dom agreed. Boris didn't because his main priority was his popularity rather than saving lives.

False hope and lies also quickly erodes trust something that is absolutely crucial at this time.

Science was unanimous with what ? That we should have had a permanent lockdown from say February ? Banned all external holidays/truckers etc for the last year? I think you will probably find there are as many views as there are scientists .
Have France, Spain, Italy or even Wales and Scotland done any better, considering they all have at least population density benefits over us ?

As for the promise of 3m doses in September, take it up with the Daily Mail.

View attachment 44759

I have heard some pretty crazy stuff from people working in the NHS about goings on with the vaccinations.

The number of GPs prepared to carry out the vaccinations has been dropping because they cannot get the admin people required to contact the most vulnerable.

A good number of GPs have systems which will allow them to email patients, the problem is that most of the patients over 70 do not bother with email accounts which means contact by phone; contact by phone is not much quicker because the contact number they have is mostly for their relatives.

Old people do not trust technology it seems.

My mates wife who has a senior position at Walsgrave told me that they have been instructing GP's to contact anyone and everyone over 60 that they can get in touch with and arrange appointments; they do not want to slow the process down because they cannot contact people.

It looks like the priority system is falling over

I have heard some pretty crazy stuff from people working in the NHS about goings on with the vaccinations.

The number of GPs prepared to carry out the vaccinations has been dropping because they cannot get the admin people required to contact the most vulnerable.

A good number of GPs have systems which will allow them to email patients, the problem is that most of the patients over 70 do not bother with email accounts which means contact by phone; contact by phone is not much quicker because the contact number they have is mostly for their relatives.

Old people do not trust technology it seems.

My mates wife who has a senior position at Walsgrave told me that they have been instructing GP's to contact anyone and everyone over 60 that they can get in touch with and arrange appointments; they do not want to slow thye process down because they cannot contact people.

It looks like the priority system is falling over

They should prioritise front line NHS staff. R4 had interviews with paramedics who pick up cases and sit with them in enclosed ambulances - obvious first priority!

Nightmare! Why isn't Labour doing more to protect teachers and our children.
What the fuck?

An 8 year old died today and there are suggestions that this is hitting children as well, and your first port of call is not the Government with an 80 seat majority but the opposition in a parliamentary recess?

I think you'll find Saddiq Khan is the primary reason why all London primaries are suspended next week, but to make this a "labour under Starmer are rubbish" issue is execrable