Could be going Bottom | Page 2 | Vital Football

Could be going Bottom

I just hope that NH realises that 2 wins and 2 defeats would be better than going for 4 draws - even if those 4 draws are actually achieved.

Under normal circumstances, you'd definitely be right. I'm not entirely sure here though - OK, we'd be getting 6pts instead of 4. But our direct rivals would also potentially be getting 6pts instead of 4.

If one of the defeats in that run could be against Crewe (who are already 11pts above us, we're not really competing against them in the relegation battle), it'd maybe be OK. But 1 win and 2 defeats from Colchester twice and Hartlepool (along with a win against Crewe) wouldn't be a good outcome, I don't think.

Under normal circumstances, you'd definitely be right. I'm not entirely sure here though - OK, we'd be getting 6pts instead of 4. But our direct rivals would also potentially be getting 6pts instead of 4.

If one of the defeats in that run could be against Crewe (who are already 11pts above us, we're not really competing against them in the relegation battle), it'd maybe be OK. But 1 win and 2 defeats from Colchester twice and Hartlepool (along with a win against Crewe) wouldn't be a good outcome, I don't think.
The home defeat against Crewe will have to be rescheduled for later in the season , playing Leicester in the cup that day.

I take your point but I was actually suggesting that NH should set us up to compete in all areas of the pitch and not just to defend a point. My worry is that if you set out to draw you're more likely to lose than win - as proven so many times since he took over.

I take your point but I was actually suggesting that NH should set us up to compete in all areas of the pitch and not just to defend a point. My worry is that if you set out to draw you're more likely to lose than win - as proven so many times since he took over.

Fair enough, completely agree there.

I think NH wants us to be more positive. Unfortunately our strikeforce is pants. No one wants to make things happen in the box, no one wants to take a gamble and greenaldo just wants to fall over.
If we don't get lucky at set pieces we don't score and that puts a lot of strain on the defense.

Looking for the slightest crumb of comfort from our current position I have looked back at the league tables for Division 2 since the 2004/05 season when the current set up started. Assuming we remain bottom on Christmas Day (which seems highly likely!) I wondered how often the club in that position had been relegated.
Ignoring the season when Luton were relegated, primarily due to a points deduction, it looks as though the bottom club have only been relegated in 6 of the 17 remaining seasons (although admittedly only on two occasions have a team with the same or a lower points score than us avoided the drop).
Statistics mean nothing of course but I'll hold on to this glimmer of hope!! UTG

Do you reckon thats because its a huge kick up the backside and theres only 2 spots unlike leagues above?

I think NH wants us to be more positive. Unfortunately our strikeforce is pants. No one wants to make things happen in the box, no one wants to take a gamble and greenaldo just wants to fall over.
If we don't get lucky at set pieces we don't score and that puts a lot of strain on the defense.

That is true. But the good news is that we`re only 18 days away from the transfer window opening. Reinforcements are en-route
:party: