Coronavirus | Page 587 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Yes, it's more drawn out (and rightly so) than I was expecting, but of course the media have predictably overlooked the 'no earlier than' and homed in on the exact dates quoted and will now use them as a target rather than an earliest point.

Having watched it, I haven't bothered with the follow up press but yes, I don't doubt you are right that the dates are presented as fact without the qualifications offered up - I hadn't thought of that on the back of JF's post.

I know we all debate the relative merits of different outlets now, but across the board, the industry is a shambles - even the better ones.

Glad you are perking up mate. Short of sore arm and maybe a bit of a headache attack, I think you're the first person whose had a 'real' reaction as I'd call it.

Not sure it's a postcode lottery of sorts, I think it's the difference between concentration of more at risk individuals and then supply roll out. Was amazed to get my invitation this quick to be honest even with missus on the Gov shielding list from the getgo and already having hers.

I do know from what I've been told, nursing homes around here have been hit horrifically, so I can only assume on the back of that 'our area rollout' is unfortunately probably ahead of some others.

Cheers Mike, I've certainly felt worse with this than with other medicines and jabs I've had before, but as long as it does the job it'll all be worth it, I hope!

I've seen some of the research saying that on average the fewest number of reactions seem to be occurring in the over 65s, which I thought was interesting. I wonder why though? Might they just have tougher immune systems than the under 65s considering they've been around for longer and might have been exposed to more bacteria and viruses over time?

Yeah I think you're right, I might have been getting carried away with seeing some of the press report on differences in roll-out between areas and calling it a postcode lottery!

Yes, it's horrible isn't it? As my mom's shielding I feel much more relaxed now knowing she's had it. And nan's been vaccinated through the care home so hopefully they'll be able to see each other soon, it's been over a year for them now because nan was in hospital before being transferred.

Cheers Mike, I've certainly felt worse with this than with other medicines and jabs I've had before, but as long as it does the job it'll all be worth it, I hope!

I've seen some of the research saying that on average the fewest number of reactions seem to be occurring in the over 65s, which I thought was interesting. I wonder why though? Might they just have tougher immune systems than the under 65s considering they've been around for longer and might have been exposed to more bacteria and viruses over time?

Yeah I think you're right, I might have been getting carried away with seeing some of the press report on differences in roll-out between areas and calling it a postcode lottery!

Yes, it's horrible isn't it? As my mom's shielding I feel much more relaxed now knowing she's had it. And nan's been vaccinated through the care home so hopefully they'll be able to see each other soon, it's been over a year for them now because nan was in hospital before being transferred.

On the flipside, having a reaction you at least know your immune system has definitely kicked into gear but probably not a great solace whilst you feel shitty lol

I hadn't actually seen that research or any reports, but as you say, that is interesting and would sort of imply the more sanitised world we now live in does clearly have an effect on things. In so many ways, kids playing on tablets or phones as opposed to dicking around more in the dirt has to have some kind of immune fallout somewhere.

Purely assuming, it could also potentially suggest this Covid is closer linked to a past Covid/stronger flu strain than we currently know, so it might suggest the elder and wiser amongst us already have an existing small amount of immunity for parts of it that youngsters don't have - hence why it might not have been enough immunity without the vacc, it could explain more why there's a lack of reaction to the vacc as the body is already more used to parts of the fallout??

Counter being youngsters overall reacting less to Covid, but more likely it seems to develop long Covid side effects.

There are definitely differences in local rollouts though, just from what I've seen it's not postal per se, although the media have jumped on that. At least not yet from what I've seen - but certainly wasn't criticising mate lol

Yes, I mentally relaxed off massively when the missus had the jab the other week. When I got the invite I was originally in two minds as I'd rather my old man got jabbed before me and oldest didn't get an invite yet, so I'm assuming they are still going age based even for shielded households and haven't twigged we bubbled with the old man.

Think I'll see if he can have my jab to be honest, and then I'll take his in the next roll around as it then means he can more safely visit Nan as well as it just seems wrong they could potentially accept me visiting in the next two months (even though I'm sure I'm the favourite grandkid! lol) but not one of her kids.

I hadn't actually seen that research or any reports, but as you say, that is interesting and would sort of imply the more sanitised world we now live in does clearly have an effect on things. In so many ways, kids playing on tablets or phones as opposed to dicking around more in the dirt has to have some kind of immune fallout somewhere.

Purely assuming, it could also potentially suggest this Covid is closer linked to a past Covid/stronger flu strain than we currently know, so it might suggest the elder and wiser amongst us already have an existing small amount of immunity for parts of it that youngsters don't have - hence why it might not have been enough immunity without the vacc, it could explain more why there's a lack of reaction to the vacc as the body is already more used to parts of the fallout??

Counter being youngsters overall reacting less to Covid, but more likely it seems to develop long Covid side effects.

If you're interested mate, there's an American report here comparing Pfizer and Moderna, although their definitions of an 'adverse' reaction seem to be a bit more serious than ours:

While the coronavirus vaccines have been shown to be just as effective in older adults, people age 50 and older experience fewer side effects than younger recipients.

Only about 25 percent of people age 50 to 64 and 4 percent of those age 65 to 74 who received the vaccine between Dec. 14 and Jan. 13 experienced side effects, according to CDC data. Meanwhile, 65 percent of those under age 50 reported an adverse reaction.

Researchers are still studying why this is the case, but they say it’s likely related to the declining immune response that comes with age.

Studies also show that most people experience more severe side effects after their second dose.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/coronavirus-vaccine-side-effects.html

And some quotes from British government research comparing Pfizer and Oxford:

The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was evaluated in clinical trials involving more than 44,000 participants. The most frequent adverse reactions in trials were pain at the injection site, fatigue, headache, myalgia (muscle pains), chills, arthralgia (joint pains), and fever; these were each reported in more than 1 in 10 people. These reactions were usually mild or moderate in intensity and resolved within a few days after vaccination. Adverse reactions were reported less frequently in older adults (over 55 years) than in younger people.

The Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine was evaluated in clinical trials involving more than 23,000 participants. The most frequently reported adverse reactions in these trials were injection-site tenderness, injection-site pain, headache, fatigue, myalgia, malaise, pyrexia (fever), chills, arthralgia, and nausea; these were each reported in more than 1 in 10 people. The majority of adverse reactions were mild to moderate in severity and usually resolved within a few days of vaccination. Adverse reactions reported after the second dose were milder and reported less frequently than after the first dose. Adverse reactions were generally milder and reported less frequently in older adults (65 years and older) than in younger people.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...irus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

Really surprised, with my underlying conditions, I've not had notification yet.

Condition before age for me now the golden oldies are done, but with these clowns on charge in the cabinet I get why they’ve stuck to a simple number system. I don’t see why you couldn’t move through the cohorts whilst allowing higher risk patients to come in too, how different is it to inviting NHS staff in, which was also the right thing to do?

Condition before age for me now the golden oldies are done, but with these clowns on charge in the cabinet I get why they’ve stuck to a simple number system. I don’t see why you couldn’t move through the cohorts whilst allowing higher risk patients to come in too, how different is it to inviting NHS staff in, which was also the right thing to do?

In fairness, they are getting the vaccinations out at such a rate that it doesn't really matter who gets what first. Roughly 1/3 already have it. When it gets to 2/3, I believe that's herd immunity.

In fairness, they are getting the vaccinations out at such a rate that it doesn't really matter who gets what first. Roughly 1/3 already have it. When it gets to 2/3, I believe that's herd immunity.

Yes I do get that and that is the argument. On the flip side, people with Down syndrome are three times more likely to die from COVID, so given the pace of the rollout why cant we schedule them in?

They don’t want to mess with the efficiency of the speed of the rollout, and my brain is similarly wired with that logic. It would be a nice touch to cover the high risk though, it’ll be a shame if under 50’s with high risk lose their lives with the finish line in sight.

Last edited:
Really surprised, with my underlying conditions, I've not had notification yet.

I‘m off to get mine today.

Ring your GP and ask . I did a couple of weeks ago as I really wasn’t sure where I would appear on the list. I didn’t want to as I’m sure they are busy enough and it wouldn’t be helpful if everyone phoned. However i thought, I never phone the GP’s unless I really have to (unlike many others I think ) and this is a unique situation and it’s time to be a bit selfish for want of better word.
They were really good , seemed to have someone dealing with such enquiries and told me that I was indeed next and to expect a text, which came through this week.

I’d be very surprised that even if you were not technically on this next list that if you speak to someone and ask it to be reviewed by your GP ,given your ‘cv’, that they wouldn’t get you in.

By rights you should be in the same group as me Fear! Especially as I think we are both classed as having neurological conditions? Could be the postcode lottery at play, or differences in how Birmingham and Redditch are going through their lists?

I had the Oxford one on Wednesday, and honestly for the past 2 days I've had almost every side effect on the list, it really knocked me around, it's only in the last few hours that I've started to feel more like myself again.

Mom and dad both had the Pfizer one and have breezed through it with no afters!

Both my parents have had 2 doses of the Pfizer one and had no side effects at all. They know people who have had the Oxford one who have said they have felt really rough after having it.

Mrs M had Pfizer and nothing at all in terms of side affects.

Had the Oxford (now confirmed :lol:) this morning and have had a metallic taste in my mouth since . Had a 5 min walk back to the car and by time I had got there the taste was there and also felt that slightly woozy type feeling straight away. Went straight into moving patio slabs when I got home so, there you go. Have a slight headache but that could be coincidence. Psychosomatic ?. Maybe, but the metallic taste was there straight away so that defo isn’t.

My mum and dad had Oxford.Dad had nothing but Mum was a bit rough overnight with fever type symptoms but went away following day.

Mrs M had Pfizer and nothing at all in terms of side affects.

Had the Oxford (now confirmed :lol:) this morning and have had a metallic taste in my mouth since . Had a 5 min walk back to the car and by time I had got there the taste was there and also felt that slightly woozy type feeling straight away. Went straight into moving patio slabs when I got home so, there you go. Have a slight headache but that could be coincidence. Psychosomatic ?. Maybe, but the metallic taste was there straight away so that defo isn’t.

My mum and dad had Oxford.Dad had nothing but Mum was a bit rough overnight with fever type symptoms but went away following day.
I had the Pfizer and apart from a slightly 'dead' arm for a few hours, nada.

All good.