Coronavirus | Page 586 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Last updated on Friday 26 February 2021 at 4:00pm

1614361717125.png

15 485 in hospital - 2047 on ventilators.

122 415 died within 28 days - 135 613 with covid on their death certificates.

The first figure is basically 3 full Villa Park's worth of people who have sadly passed.

I don’t agree with it because it could be one of those “who you know not necessarily what you know” cases for pupils. Those with pushy parents on school councils or whatever it’s called, or those just friendly with teachers will benefit.

I had pretty modest expectations at school in terms of mock exam results and suggested grades, but I over performed because i put the effort in during the final 6 months. It’s always been my strategy, doss about but work hard at the end devoting your life to it 😂

Anyway, point is, some pupils do better with the pressure than expectation equally some crumble. It’s not about the crumbling but it’s not about giving every pupil an A because it’s easy.

Equally, I don’t have a solution to doing it any other way. Perhaps an algorithm? :ooops:
Just looking at the new pass marks for exam grades, and they are an absolute piss take.
Most subject if you can get between 50% and 65% you get an equivalant A pass.

I'm getting rather bored of posh kids moaning about teachers assessments and using mock results for their grades - because they didn't revise, they were doing preparation work for fucking Japanese at Oxford.

Dad says the clue is in the title - they are mock exams - they aren't important so I said don't worry about them.

Yes, the clue is in the title, mock exams to show where your fucking weak points are.

I nailed my mocks and got complacent, should I go and sue somebody and bitch when the truth is, I fucked up?

Any parent who said that this year of all years is a bit of a fcuk wit I’m afraid.

It was obvious that students needed to smash their mocks
1 - because of the risk of the schools shutting again which was a real risk since the school year started last year and ..
2- the mocks were used in assessments last year.

We made it massively clear to junior 1 that his mocks were important and in fact I remember joking that if he smashed his mocks then we could do with another lockdown as they would be used .

Last edited:
Any parent who said that this year of all years is a bit of a fcuk wit I’m afraid.

It was obvious that students needed to smash their mocks
1 - because of the risk of the schools shutting again which was a real risk since the school year started last year and ..
2- the mocks were used in assessments last year.

We made it massively clear to junior 1 that his mocks were important and in fact I remember joking that if he smashed his mocks then we could do with another lockdown as they would be used .

Yup, it might well have been boring and you'd have to plan sensibly to not burn out - but it's not like they were out on the piss or having a jolly with their mates largely so time wasn't an issue even if they had application commitments for their preferred choice.

Just more entitlement and victim nonsense instead of knuckling down. You called that perfectly with Melon Jnr - I think these days as well if you nail the mocks they form part of any appeal if you dramatically drop off in the real exams, so on that front they should be front and centre anyway.

From the briefing today and also the news at the moment, maybe people are getting ahead of themselves, excited by the end of all this and raised expectations of total (?) normality by June... and not heeding the still required rules now?

Some areas of the UK are "burning quite hot" with rising levels of new coronavirus infections, England's deputy chief medical officer says.

Although coronavirus levels are still decreasing across much of the UK, there are hotspots that buck the trend.

These are in the Midlands and east and west coast of England and some parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Prof Jonathan Van-Tam told Friday's Downing Street briefing the battle is not yet won.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56210665

Really surprised, with my underlying conditions, I've not had notification yet.

By rights you should be in the same group as me Fear! Especially as I think we are both classed as having neurological conditions? Could be the postcode lottery at play, or differences in how Birmingham and Redditch are going through their lists?

I had the Oxford one on Wednesday, and honestly for the past 2 days I've had almost every side effect on the list, it really knocked me around, it's only in the last few hours that I've started to feel more like myself again.

Mom and dad both had the Pfizer one and have breezed through it with no afters!

Prof Van-Tam said: "In some parts of the UK, case rates are changing, albeit slowly, in the wrong direction.

"This is not a good sign and reinforces the fact that I'm afraid this battle at the moment is not won."

By rights you should be in the same group as me Fear! Especially as I think we are both classed as having neurological conditions? Could be the postcode lottery at play, or differences in how Birmingham and Redditch are going through their lists?

I had the Oxford one on Wednesday, and honestly for the past 2 days I've had almost every side effect on the list, it really knocked me around, it's only in the last few hours that I've started to feel more like myself again.

Yup, neurological.

Yes, speaking to someone else today mentioned there seems more problems with the Oxford one, over and above the Pfizer. Parents had the latter and were fine (80 and 81)

Hope you continue to improve, and very quickly now mate.

From the briefing today and also the news at the moment, maybe people are getting ahead of themselves, excited by the end of all this and raised expectations of total (?) normality by June... and not heeding the still required rules now?

Some areas of the UK are "burning quite hot" with rising levels of new coronavirus infections, England's deputy chief medical officer says.

Although coronavirus levels are still decreasing across much of the UK, there are hotspots that buck the trend.

These are in the Midlands and east and west coast of England and some parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Prof Jonathan Van-Tam told Friday's Downing Street briefing the battle is not yet won.

Yes, listening to bits and bobs it seems plenty think come June 21st it's all over, Covid has gone and normality instantly returns - and then some who think we're close enough I can do what I want now.

I don't get where they got that from given what was actually said in full.

Last edited:

This is what happens when they keep putting exact dates on things - just 'early March' or 'mid-to-late June' would be far better.

Glad you are perking up mate. Short of sore arm and maybe a bit of a headache attack, I think you're the first person whose had a 'real' reaction as I'd call it.

Not sure it's a postcode lottery of sorts, I think it's the difference between concentration of more at risk individuals and then supply roll out. Was amazed to get my invitation this quick to be honest even with missus on the Gov shielding list from the getgo and already having hers.

I do know from what I've been told, nursing homes around here have been hit horrifically, so I can only assume on the back of that 'our area rollout' is unfortunately probably ahead of some others.

This is what happens when they keep putting exact dates on things - just 'early March' or 'mid-to-late June' would be far better.

That's my only criticism of the Roadmap that isn't a Roadmap!

It should've been vaguer for the idiots amongst us and whilst I sort of liked the fact they went with 'no earlier than' as the qualifying phrase, I did wonder if a more vague 'towards the end of the month, possibly early next month' approach might have been wiser.

It's the only bit I can really quibble with but it's not a strong quibble, as otherwise it was sensible, slow, staggered and for normal people more than showed we might have turned the corner but we are no way out of the woods and that's why there's the 5 week wriggle room to cope with any fallout on a spike front.

Clear as mud to me.

whilst I sort of liked the fact they went with 'no earlier than' as the qualifying phrase, I did wonder if a more vague 'towards the end of the month, possibly early next month' approach might have been wiser.
Yes, it's more drawn out (and rightly so) than I was expecting, but of course the media have predictably overlooked the 'no earlier than' and homed in on the exact dates quoted and will now use them as a target rather than an earliest point.