Coronavirus | Page 515 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Swam at Redditch no questions asked but why would they anyway? Did my usual mile within the allotted time, squeezed in a few more laps too. Some strong swimmers in there today which kept me moving.

Not sure where you live Tom, or what tier you are in. But, although I don't want what you seem to be pushing for, (by asking why should they be asking anyone questions) a covid thread - we have two - they should be checking people going are local and therefore tier 3

The answer to your question is rather obvious I would have thought. They should be wanting to make sure it is only people from tier 3 going to the facilities, if not, the risk is tier 3 is soon tier 4 as people bring the infection and spread it.

Not unreasonable I don't think?!

When dentist Andy Bates offered to help administer the coronavirus vaccine, he hadn't bargained for the "overload of bureaucracy" he says came his way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55516277

Dr Bates, a 56-year-old dentist based in Skipton, says he was met with layers of "bureaucracy" when he applied to be an NHS vaccinator - a role that requires healthcare experience.

He told BBC Radio's 5 live programme: "I am a working dentist with a dental practice. I work four days a week which gives me a day off and the weekend, so I thought I could probably help out [with] explaining things to people, being able to use a needle, being able to relax people in an environment where you're giving them a jab.

He goes on to say he got a mountain of documents and online modules to complete. Ridiculous.

When dentist Andy Bates offered to help administer the coronavirus vaccine, he hadn't bargained for the "overload of bureaucracy" he says came his way.

Dr Bates, a 56-year-old dentist based in Skipton, says he was met with layers of "bureaucracy" when he applied to be an NHS vaccinator - a role that requires healthcare experience.

He told BBC Radio's 5 live programme: "I am a working dentist with a dental practice. I work four days a week which gives me a day off and the weekend, so I thought I could probably help out [with] explaining things to people, being able to use a needle, being able to relax people in an environment where you're giving them a jab.

He goes on to say he got a mountain of documents and online modules to complete. Ridiculous.

We will all still be waiting for a jab in 2022.
Crap country.

We will all still be waiting for a jab in 2022.
Crap country.

Frightened of our own shadows these days, giving an injection of this sort is not a difficult thing. As the dentist in the article says, totally reasonable to be informed / asked about resuscitation in case of an allergic reaction to the vaccine but some of that list is madness..........

Dr Bates says: "Some of the things are really quite sensible - like resuscitation, and recognising and managing anaphylaxis - but then you get things like preventing radicalisation, level 1 certificate required [or] safeguarding children level 2."

This can’t be true, all the red tape is from the EU and we’re now out.

It’s one of those where there has to be regulation as you don’t want lunatics walking around injecting people with all sorts.

But there has to be a way to utilise other professionals and army medics to administer the vaccine in a safe and controlled way.

Our dentist is 2mins walk from the doctors. Any issues they could get someone over to help. Small risk IMO.

Mrs M has volunteered to work rest days . Giving injections not exactly her everyday role to say the least but obviously did general training when qualifying as a nurse and is still qualified to give them.

She heard nothing before going on leave for Xmas despite volunteering a few weeks ago. Be interesting to see if she has any update when she is back next week.........

I expect it's when he tried to inject it into their gums there might be a problem..

Madness, Mrs57 used to run a day medical case unit and they did all sorts of procedures lumbar punctures blood transfusions, cannulas etc all sorts of stuff so she wouldn't need much training if any and she's old school so you wouldn't end up with a bruise the size of a dinner plate either

Not sure where you live Tom, or what tier you are in. But, although I don't want what you seem to be pushing for, (by asking why should they be asking anyone questions) a covid thread - we have two - they should be checking people going are local and therefore tier 3

The answer to your question is rather obvious I would have thought. They should be wanting to make sure it is only people from tier 3 going to the facilities, if not, the risk is tier 3 is soon tier 4 as people bring the infection and spread it.

Not unreasonable I don't think?!

Because I mentioned it earlier. I live in tier 4 but the Worcestershire (Tier 3) boundary runs alongside where I live so to say I can’t go across would be incredibly pedantic and imo, pathetic. I have my haircut in ‘Worcestershire’ as I have for a few years (And today), I use a Post Office in ‘Worcestershire’ sometimes and usually (Although not at the moment) I cycle a lot around Redditch/Worcestershire. So it’s not unusual for me to go into that county/tier.

Ive also mentioned back in this thread that it’s been proven that the virus doesn’t survive pool water and that swimming pools have air filtration systems that change the air within. If you’re constantly swimming up and down (Doing laps) then you’re not going to come into contact with someone anyway. Imo they should remain open as it’s the only exercise a lot of people are able to do, especially at this time of year.

The barber also said to me today it’s not their job to check where someone lives and after last year they’re not going to say no to any income they can get. He guessed around 85% of his customers are from the Birmingham side of the imaginary line so that’s a big chunk of income to turn down in hard times.

I won’t apologise for wanting to keep myself fit and healthy (even if the government likes to make it difficult) as id stand a much better chance of surviving the virus if it got me. The tier system is a farce.

Edit: Ps I know there’s a virus thread but the lines are slightly blurred here.

Last edited:
Sadly, I think it might get worse next week as people return to work - hopefully not schools - after this Christmas/New Year break.

OK, this is a different take from someone. Always interesting to see the other view. This is from Twitter over a number of posts so I will collate them here and provide a link
From David Paton Professor of Industrial Economics Nottingham University Business School

"It is hard to overstate what a catastrophic failure the Govt & SAGE’s policy of continual restrictions & lockdown has been. Not only has it caused economic devastation & misery for millions, it has not stopped high rates & surges in infections, hospitalisations & deaths.

Over the past 6 months, UK governments have tried mask mandates, curfews, local restrictions, regional restrictions, tiers, short *firebreaks*, national lockdowns, stricter tiers, extra tiers. All have caused enormous costs yet look where we are at with Covid. Time to rethink.

“But it’s just obvious that lockdowns will work." It’s past the time to indulge in wishful thinking about what you think *must* or *should* happen. Like it or not, we have to face reality: the continual lockdown/restriction cycle has failed on every possible measure.

“But things would have been even worse without the restrictions” Hard to see how but, if you believe that, where is the evidence? e.g. have places with lighter restrictions had demonstrably worse Covid outcomes? Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Florida, Brazil?

“But it would have been different if we’d locked down more things/earlier/longer …” More collateral damage & misery for certain, but where is the evidence Covid outcomes would be better? Look at Belgium, Italy, Peru, Spain, Czechia, New York, Illinois, France, Argentina.

“But New Zealand!” Long term (& continued) border closures & extreme lockdown in an isolated island nation before the virus was endemic: whether you agree or disagree with what NZ did, it was just not relevant for the UK situation last March and certainly not now.

“But what’s your alternative?” Please think that question through. If the lockdown strategy creates huge costs and doesn't help with Covid, it needs to be stopped whether or not there is anything else the Government should do.

Whatever side of the lockdown debate people have been on, to continue with this strategy despite the clear evidence of how badly it has failed is not just reckless but criminally negligent.

Eventually we need a proper inquiry into the advice SAGE has given but the urgent thing now is to reverse some of the most damaging measures: school closures, retail, hospitality & sporting shutdowns & the use of criminal law to stop families meeting up.

Can I end with a plea to journalists? When ministers, scientists, union & council leaders push for more school closures & even tighter restrictions, at least provide *some* challenge on why we shd believe measures that have failed so disastrously up to now will succeed this time "

Some interesting thoughts here and certainly challenges the status quo that seems to exist in the media. One thing I would ask the professor is what is his alternative?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1345434406559870976.html

I won’t apologise for wanting to keep myself fit and healthy (even if the government likes to make it difficult) as id stand a much better chance of surviving the virus if it got me. The tier system is a farce.

Edit: Ps I know there’s a virus thread but the lines are slightly blurred here.

The lines weren't blurred but you obviously wanted this debate. I've moved them here.

Anyone not having the good grace and respect to at least try to follow the rules whilst tens of thousands are dying is a selfish tosser. You are sticking your fingers up to the medical staff, the doctors and everyone trying to follow the rules for the great good.

And you seem proud of it. Well done you and the minority who have done what they damn well want, whilst others have done their best to try to do the right thing despite the shambolic government.

You don't care though, as long as you are ok. Thanks on behalf of the overstretched doctors and nurses at the Alex and Bromsgrove Hospitals though.

Hopefully you don't get it, if you do, you might see how fucking horrible it is.

Sorry J but my girls need to be in school, and with common sense they will be.

And the virus needs halting, the people need to be out of hospital and intensive care. No need to apologise to me, not a thing of my making. But it seems the youngsters are getting the new variant more, and then it is spreading, so whether we like it or not, I can see further lockdown rules coming.

And just to try to ease some of your worries even if only very slightly (and I can't help on the part that kids at home all the time drive their parents crazy I'm afraid!!!) but I missed massive chunks of time at school with my health issues. I got a degree with no problem and outshone a good few in my classes who didn't miss time and indeed, who went to the grammar school.

I do get it, school is the best place for them, but we aren't living in an ideal world at all, right now, are we?!