Coronavirus | Page 442 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Hmmmm

Levels of protective antibodies in people wane "quite rapidly" after coronavirus infection, say researchers.
Antibodies are a key part of our immune defences and stop the virus from getting inside the body's cells.
The Imperial College London team found the number of people testing positive for antibodies has fallen by 26% between June and September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54696873

Have been watching Euronews. Leige, Belgium 1 in 3 people infected and there is such a shortage of Doctors they are asking those who are infected to carry on working thereby risking giving it to more people including all the other Docs and nurses.

Yeah heard this yesterday. 1 in 3 . Blimey. And we think we have problems. (We have).

yeah, not the best of news is it, saw it mentioned on the news last night and must admit, found it a bit discombobulating, because surely that also gives vaccines a massive challenge to create immunity for long enough.

From the same report

The researchers say their findings do not scupper hopes of a vaccine, which may prove more effective than a real infection.
One of the researchers, Prof Graham Cooke, said: "The big picture is after the first wave, the great majority of the country didn't have evidence of protective immunity.
"The need for a vaccine is still very large, the data doesn't change that."
Professor Paul Elliott, director of the REACT-2 study, said it would be wrong to draw firm conclusions from the study about the impact of a vaccine.
He said: "The vaccine response may behave differently to the response to natural infection."

I think we have a long way to go before we get anywhere near where we would like to be. If its still bad at xmas I cant see people abiding by any lockdown rules. Frightening times. Its a pity Trump is not in charge we would be rounding the curve now. Nearly a quarter of a million dead but thats ok. The WH chief said that they have given up trying to control it.

I can see us needing a vaccine every week. Hopefully like drinking a yakult.

In a more dystopian view I can see the elderly fleeced of all their savings paying for a monthly injection costing £1000 a time - or take your chances.

Is this why they are all breaking their necks to develop a vaccine?

The WH chief said that they have given up trying to control it.

The world is lucky it isn’t actually that deadly with a 1% fatality rate, compared to SARS or MERS. Maybe there’s a negative correlation between how quickly it spreads and how deadly it is, but with however many coronaviruses there are that humans haven’t caught from rodents yet, the next time it does happen the world needs to take note for this failure in history.

That’s no consolation to the 1.2m who have died obviously, but imagine if we were sat on 10 or 20m deaths worldwide right now?

The world is lucky it isn’t actually that deadly with a 1% fatality rate, compared to SARS or MERS. Maybe there’s a negative correlation between how quickly it spreads and how deadly it is, but with however many coronaviruses there are that humans haven’t caught from rodents yet, the next time it does happen the world needs to take note for this failure in history.

That’s no consolation to the 1.2m who have died obviously, but imagine if we were sat on 10 or 20m deaths worldwide right now?

I think the difference this time is that its arrived on everyone's doorsteps! Ebola/Sars etc were mainly in Africa/Asian countries.

We looked on horrified but whilst a few cases reached western countries it was minimal.

Its how contagious this is, and how fast this has spread as to why its as overwhelming to us all as it is.

It wasn't our problem before. We were detached from it. It is now.

I think the difference this time is that its arrived on everyone's doorsteps! Ebola/Sars etc were mainly in Africa/Asian countries.

We looked on horrified but whilst a few cases reached western countries it was minimal.

Its how contagious this is, and how fast this has spread as to why its as overwhelming to us all as it is.

It wasn't our problem before. We were detached from it. It is now.

Yep, it’s highly contagious / low fatality.

The others were low contagious / higher fatality.

The world will need to deal with highly contagious / high fatality a lot better than this one. Massive wake up call for the world, let’s see if the West follows the East next time.

Have been watching Euronews. Leige, Belgium 1 in 3 people infected and there is such a shortage of Doctors they are asking those who are infected to carry on working thereby risking giving it to more people including all the other Docs and nurses.

Yes caught something about that myself....the quintessential rock and hard place - let alone additional burn out for the staff if they aren't totally asymptomatic.

yeah, not the best of news is it, saw it mentioned on the news last night and must admit, found it a bit discombobulating, because surely that also gives vaccines a massive challenge to create immunity for long enough.

Bloke I heard within the last hour was playing it down, and separating it from proper vaccines (as somebody else said), he also raised the additional issue of T-Cells themselves being able to combat it (based on a previous infection) even if you had no natural immunity in the normal sense of the word.

Bit confusing but the T-Cell research is very early doors.

Someone I work withs Wife collapsed Monday morning in a fit and is now hospitalised with Covid. Not heard of that symptom for a while

CEO of Heathrow on the Beeb saying the US wants to get the economy open and the U.K. would be in a good position to be the first air bridge to the States.

The US and U.K. looking to open up flights again, albeit it checks, but what could possibly go wrong?

The reality is that there will be competition with the French and Germans to get the flights going, especially with Brexit looming.

CEO of Heathrow on the Beeb saying the US wants to get the economy open and the U.K. would be in a good position to be the first air bridge to the States.

The US and U.K. looking to open up flights again, albeit it checks, but what could possibly go wrong?

The reality is that there will be competition with the French and Germans to get the flights going, especially with Brexit looming.

You just can't get the economy going with the pandemic raging. The flights aren't running because nobody wants to travel. The economy vs health narrative is false and unhelpful.

You just can't get the economy going with the pandemic raging. The flights aren't running because nobody wants to travel. The economy vs health narrative is false and unhelpful.

As with anything in life, I don’t think it’s that black and white after 6 months of the pandemic in the mainstream here. People travel on aeroplanes for two reasons, business or pleasure.

Business has changed, the days of flying from London to New York or Singapore for a couple of meetings are gone. They were going down anyway, those business flights are full of 50+ year old technophobes. Of course, investment companies will still fly people to Geneva or wherever along with manufacturing companies such as your JLR’s to Czech - when needed.

The thing with business is that using communication technology is fine for current business, but new business is harder and there a constant leaky bucket of current business going and new business needed. Sales guys need to be making relationships and deals, so business travel isn’t dead, but I can’t see it reaching 2019 levels for a decade, if ever.

As for leisure, I don’t agree that nobody wants to travel. From my Instagram, plenty of people either want to go or are travelling. I would go away tomorrow if I could. The reservation is that I don’t want to go to a hotspot and catch it, I don’t want to pay £180 for a test, I don’t want to go somewhere that has its amenities shut and I don’t want to get stuck there. Flights to the Canary Islands have gone up so there is definitely demand!

People will lose patience soon with it all soon, so health will naturally be the trade off. The key KPI in my mind as I’ve posted before is keeping R below 1, the virus won’t die out in Britain - there’s no point in trying that tactic.