Coronavirus | Page 103 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Unless I've misunderstood the employee bailout - again not being relevant to me I haven't looked deeply - but haven't the Gov already technically bailed out Virgin Airlines by paying 80% of their wage bill for the next 3 months?

Unless I've misunderstood the employee bailout - again not being relevant to me I haven't looked deeply - but haven't the Gov already technically bailed out Virgin Airlines by paying 80% of their wage bill for the next 3 months?
Yes if virgin have furloughed their staff which I imagine they have.

If they bail out those companies, who else will they bail out? Not the small companies who are starting to go to the wall already I bet.

I am not sure I would bail them out, same as I wouldn't with the banks, I'd nationalise them, run them properly at a profit and put the profit into the country.

But then, I'd have done that with power, water and other utilities and this country would be far better off and maybe taxes then could have been lower.

If they bail out those companies, who else will they bail out? Not the small companies who are starting to go to the wall already I bet.

I am not sure I would bail them out, same as I wouldn't with the banks, I'd nationalise them, run them properly at a profit and put the profit into the country.

But then, I'd have done that with power, water and other utilities and this country would be far better off and maybe taxes then could have been lower.

Yup - this!

It's what gets lost in 'nationalisation' it's always said with a belief it should be at cost and break even, but nowt wrong with making a real profit - not taxed, but goes 100% back to the Treasury - let people working in those industry pay 2% less PAYE in the process because their job is a contribution to the country in effect.

If anything these bigger companies (I know these circs are definitely strange and don't mean to be cruel) certainly don't deserve a bail out because they are proven. Wipe the slate clean, when things return to normal, they have the track record to get the funding to start over.

Yes, shareholders lose out but that's the risk - sorry stuff them at the moment and industrial shareholders should already be in profit so bugger them as well.

Smaller businesses don't have that freedom - as admirably shown by the cock up in the access to loans plan where banks were asking for collateral even though it was Gov backed.

It's been a couple of months and we've already seen provable differences in air quality, CO2 levels (ignoring the fucktards) greater community spirit/thought/appreciation.

I have my doubts as I'm a cynical bastard, but we could turn this into a good moment of change on a number of levels. Trite or not, but at least then those who have passed/will pass will, in effect, be honoured rightly.

Does Branson have much to do with the day-to-day running of the airline? Surely it’s the CEO asking for the bailout not Branson, though old Richie boy could be behind it if he’s still got a big stake in the business.

It's been a couple of months and we've already seen provable differences in air quality, CO2 levels (ignoring the fucktards) greater community spirit/thought/appreciation.

I have my doubts as I'm a cynical bastard, but we could turn this into a good moment of change on a number of levels. Trite or not, but at least then those who have passed/will pass will, in effect, be honoured rightly.

Yes the time to re-evaluate the national and global priorities. Environmental, public spending, workers rights, benefits system etc

Does Branson have much to do with the day-to-day running of the airline? Surely it’s the CEO asking for the bailout not Branson, though old Richie boy could be behind it if he’s still got a big stake in the business.
Ownership and day to day running can be two very separate things. The CEO would ultimately report into and take guideance from the owner - Richard Branson

Yes this expert from the Lancet wasn't so concerned at the end of January

like I said a twat.

In fairness Wurz - I saw that earlier. He subsequently changed his tune pretty quickly as facts came out in the days that followed - that Tweet has become a thing because the ever reliable 'Zak Goldsmith' used it to counter his criticism on QT - despite it being completely out of context.

I used to love reading Guido, but he's nothing more than blameless clickbait on his own bias now - a true twat.

We'll be on lockdown from midnight!

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said that from midnight tonight and for a two-week period, until Easter Sunday, everybody must stay at home, in all circumstances:
Except
- To travel to and from work for the purposes of work only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service or cannot be done from home (a list of these will be provided)
- To shop for food or household goods or collect a meal
- To attend medical appointments or collect medicines and other health products
- For vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people
- To take brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home which may include children from your own household as long as you adhere to two-metre physical distancing
- For farming purposes that is food production and care of animals
- All public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited. The virus might be in your household already so please don't spread it to someone else
- This prohibition includes social family visits that are not for vital reasons already mentioned
- A further range of non-essential shops and services will be closed. The guidance given earlier this week in respect of retail outlets will be revised to reflect this
- Adult community education centres and local community centres will be shut
- All non-essential surgery and health procedures and all other non-essential health services will be postponed
- All visits to hospitals, residential healthcare settings and prisons are to cease, with specific exceptions on compassionate grounds
- Shielding or cocooning will be introduced for all those 70 years of age and specified categories of people who are extremely vulnerable to Covid-19
- Travel to our offshore islands will be limited to residents of those islands
- Pharmacists will be permitted to dispense medicines outside of the current period of validity with an existing prescription in line with the pharmacists clinical judgement
- All public transport and passenger travel will be restricted to essential workers and people providing essential services
- Outside of the reasons listed there is to be no travel outside a 2km radius of your home for any reason.

Phew!
Apart from cocooning (whatever that means) it'll hardly affect us too much. We have been taking short drives to local parks and walking when we got there so will now be restricted to being nearer home unless cocooning precludes this in which case it'll be laps round the back garden.

Sorry Mike but he want his cake and eat it. His attack last night was uncalled for and bullshit. Let's face facts if he knew what he was talking about he would be making the decisions not bitching about them. Duck him.

Sorry Mike but he want his cake and eat it. His attack last night was uncalled for and bullshit. Let's face facts if he knew what he was talking about he would be making the decisions not bitching about them. Duck him.

I can see it both ways, so was just giving balance given his own change hasn't been countered for since that Tweet.

The whole response has been nothing short of a farce.

People around here are swanning around as if they are on holiday. I went to Tesco earlier for some essentials. Had to queue for 30 mins to get in sticking to the social distancing lines they had painted on the floor only to find it was a free for all once inside with people totally ignoring the rules.

The guy opposite me who is a self employed builder is still going to work.

It's about time the government made the rules clear instead of this wishy washy advice that seems to be letting so many people do what they want and infect the rest of us who are playing by the rules.

Last nights applause for our magnificent NHS was down to me and one of my neighbours, the others in the street couldn't be arsed just like they can't be arsed to follow the rules. I hope some of the fuckers catch it as they certainly deserve to.

As for the government, it's obvious nobody had ever planned for such a thing to happen despite plenty of warnings in the past. They are making up the response day by day reactively based on other countries. We are an island that should have been locked down the second the virus was discovered. Good planning would have prevented this situation we find ourselves in.

When this is all over a lot of questions need to be asked as to how we found ourselves in this situation.