Coronavirus vaccine | Page 22 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

Early in the pandemic all things fitness sold out especially turbo trainers. I have never used one myself but they are widely available again and there are some bargains to be had. Planet X in particular are currently cutting prices by up to 50%. I've always fancied having a go at rollers, whch are another alternative and a bigger challenge initially. Not sure my balance would be up to the job but they provide more of a real cycling experience and develop balance too. They don't wear tyres so heavily either.

Early in the pandemic all things fitness sold out especially turbo trainers. I have never used one myself but they are widely available again and there are some bargains to be had. Planet X in particular are currently cutting prices by up to 50%. I've always fancied having a go at rollers, whch are another alternative and a bigger challenge initially. Not sure my balance would be up to the job but they provide more of a real cycling experience and develop balance too. They don't wear tyres so heavily either.
Rollers are very good but I'm not sure you can increase resistance one them if needed?

I had them years ago and found it very hard to stay upright on my bike. But could do it fine on someone elses. He thought I was chatting rubbish so used my bike and promptly fell off the side...

I never did figure out what was misaligned on that bike so just bought a new one.

But yeah I really like rollers as long as your bike isn't disabled. The key for balance is to get up to speed fairly fast and its fine.

This is what I’ve told people in the last few months. Much better to spend your money on a proper, better bike that can be used outside in the good weather from spring onwards, than spend four figures on a peloton or wattbike that unless you are a serious rider will probably get neglected after a while.
Most firms offer a cycle to work scheme, I can imagine the police would do Nobs (especially with the obvious health benefits attached).

Just to add to BRs point about static trainers, there are two types. The ones under £100 are basically an a frame that the bike sits into. You can manually increase resistance a little on some of them, these are usually referred to as ‘dumb trainers’ and are more than adequate in getting fitness up. I got fit enough to do a 7 day tour of the French Alps on one.

The other sort cost closer to the peloton prices and are called AI or “smart trainers”. These will automatically adjust the resistance as you ride and view a route from Zwift ie simulating a hill, mountain, downhills, wind resistance, etc. These are much more marketed at the serious cyclist and are direct competition to peloton, wattbike etc.
Yep, agree that you can't beat a good old fashioned peddle bike. As you say, get a half decent one and it won't let you down as long as you look after it of course.

Yep, agree that you can't beat a good old fashioned peddle bike. As you say, get a half decent one and it won't let you down as long as you look after it of course.

Nobs, you made me laugh; thinking about Only Fools and Horses ! ... as the bike description sounds a lot like Trigger`s description of his broom.....

So just when there is good news coming on the vaccines, what do the government and MRHA do, start fucking about with the rollout. Yes we all want to get vaccinated as quickly as possible , but there's no point spreading the distribution out when (according to Pfizer and BioNTech) the effectiveness of the vaccine is unknown at anything other than 21 days apart.

Think we should hand the rollout of this vaccine to the fucking chimps at Howletts, they'll probably make a better job of it.

Last edited:
So just when there is good news coming on the vaccines, what do the government and MRHA start fucking about with the rollout. Yes we all what to get vaccinated as quickly as possible , but there's no point spreading the distribution out when (according to Pfizer and BioNTech) the effectiveness of the vaccine is unknown at anything other than 21 days apart.

Think we should hand the rollout of this vaccine to the fucking chimps at Howletts, they'll probably make a better job of it.

Read a tweet from a doctor saying that had to phone to cancel 1160 appointments for dose 2 and then replace 1160 appointments for the new date for dose 2. 193 hours extra work and lots of unhappy people.

They really do seem able to mess everything up. I think they should rope the army in for this one - we need people who can organise things effectively and efficiently.

Nice gesture from Brewdog to offer their pubs for free as vaccine centres

So just when there is good news coming on the vaccines, what do the government and MRHA do, start fucking about with the rollout. Yes we all want to get vaccinated as quickly as possible , but there's no point spreading the distribution out when (according to Pfizer and BioNTech) the effectiveness of the vaccine is unknown at anything other than 21 days apart.

We know that efficacy of very high after the first dose. That is good enough for me.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of amateur statisticians who are misinterpreting the efficacy and claiming the research show it is only 50% effective. In fact, it’s closer to 90%.

So if that is the case why do they not just give one jab out that's it and why did they not do the roll out of the vaccine like that from the off. Why let arrangements be made for doing a second dose only to change it once arrangements had been made.

It's a joke and official logistical buffoonery if you delay the roll out of the vaccine in any way

I think they are trying to go flat out to give as many people a single dose as quickly as possible, hoping this will break the spread of the virus which is spreading faster and faster.

Middle path was surely possible. Go ahead withbthe 2nd dose for those already with an appointment and then do the single one from now on. Beyond this government though.

My missus did some research on when we can expect to be vaccinated. We are both 62. 2nd jab by September ffs!! Hope this is wrong and that it is just based on the slow start and not the hoped for rapid increase in rolling it out.

Apparently there are over 8 million people below our age who have special medical conditions that mean they are prioritised. I don't object to this but 8 million ffs. I never realised how sick so many of our population are until this pandemic.

Middle path was surely possible. Go ahead withbthe 2nd dose for those already with an appointment and then do the single one from now on. Beyond this government though.

Because the Fizzer biotech is so hard to administer, the doctors and nurses can be used a lot more efficiently and jab a lot more people with the new AstraZeneca vaccine.

So if that is the case why do they not just give one jab out that's it and why did they not do the roll out of the vaccine like that from the off. Why let arrangements be made for doing a second dose only to change it once arrangements had been made.

It's a joke and official logistical buffoonery if you delay the roll out of the vaccine in any way

If I understood correctly, the second dose was to ensure immunity lasted for longer.

The other thing to speed up the rollout of the AstraZeneca vaccine, is that it can be administered by Pharmacists.

The other thing to speed up the rollout of the AstraZeneca vaccine, is that it can be administered by Pharmacists.

Only by pharmacists who have had prior injection training and is currently registered to give flu shots etc. Not all pharmacists are. My other half was registered but didn't renew the annual certification for this Christmas period so won't be able to legally do so if asked. It is common for pharmacists to be trained but my other half is unsure if it is correct to say the majority are.

If I understood correctly, the second dose was to ensure immunity lasted for longer.

The first dose after 3 weeks will give about 90% efficency with the second dose moving it up to around 95%. How long the immunity lasts will depend on how frequently the virus mutates and changes into a form not protected by the vaccine.

The argument för The change is simple. It is better to give a single vaccine to 1 million people where statistically 900k will be immune than to give 500k people two vaccines where you'd expect 475k to be immune.

Why the change now could be down to the new variant being discovered before Christmas leading over half the country in tier 4 lockdown. The original plan of 21 days was made, I believe, before the new variant was identified as a big enough threat to cancel Christmas.

We know that efficacy of very high after the first dose. That is good enough for me.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of amateur statisticians who are misinterpreting the efficacy and claiming the research show it is only 50% effective. In fact, it’s closer to 90%.
True, not only that, but although the Oxford vaccine didn't prevent infection in all cases, none of the participants of the trial after a single dose developed serious symptoms - none were hospitalized

Only by pharmacists who have had prior injection training and is currently registered to give flu shots etc. Not all pharmacists are. My other half was registered but didn't renew the annual certification for this Christmas period so won't be able to legally do so if asked. It is common for pharmacists to be trained but my other half is unsure if it is correct to say the majority are.
The certification is a 3 yearly thing, so depending on when your wife trained she could still be allowed to give the jab.
there is also a law change coming.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...d-administer-coronavirus-jab-reports-12134400