Coronavirus vaccine | Page 47 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

At what point are we sorted ? Everyone or just the top 4 categories.

My question was should we help the most at risk in Europe (or anywhere in the world) before we start deploying it further in the UK.

Its really an ethical question of what is right.

Is it right that I get it (53 with underlying health condition) OR a high risk person in Spain.

I'd be happy to delay my vaccine for someone more at risk.

It would be nice to start to rebuild trust and goodwill with our closest neighbours after the dangerous rhetoric of Brexit.

Charity begins at home mate.

The EU in this situation is a bit like someone making a mistake in their diary 6 months ago, then turning up late to the match and trying to take the ball away because they're too late to play. There only problem is some of the other players have their own ball.

At what point are we sorted ? Everyone or just the top 4 categories.

My question was should we help the most at risk in Europe (or anywhere in the world) before we start deploying it further in the UK.

Its really an ethical question of what is right.

Is it right that I get it (53 with underlying health condition) OR a high risk person in Spain.

I'd be happy to delay my vaccine for someone more at risk.

It would be nice to start to rebuild trust and goodwill with our closest neighbours after the dangerous rhetoric of Brexit.

I would say we are sorted by the time restrictions are eased to a point where we are able to live relatively normally again, whilst accepting foreign travel will still be restricted. That we're in a position where almost everyone can return to work. I assume all the over 50 years will have to be done to get us there, but maybe we're aiming for herd immunity, in which case it'll take a bit longer.

Our government's duty is to protect you, as someone with an underlying ahead of a people in Spain - and that's the way it should be. Maybe we'll be in a position where we have enough supply to do both. I have sympathy for the people of Europe, hopefully they'll be able to at least get their most vulnerable vaccinated quickly, but I don't want to see the EU clusterfuck impinge on the rollout here

The standard advice for emergencies, is always to ensure your own safety before helping others.

The EU in this situation is a bit like someone making a mistake in their diary 6 months ago, then turning up late to the match and trying to take the ball away because they're too late to play. There only problem is some of the other players have their own ball.

More like turning up to a match you are supposed to be playing in, finding yourself losing 2-0 due to your team only playing with ten men and then demanding the winning team hand over one of their goals to make the score a morally fairer 1-1. And then threatening to take away the ball from the winning side until they agree as according to their interpretation of the laws of football, it should be the losing side who should be winning 2-0.

It’s hardly surprising given that the unelected commission voted for a failed German Defence Minister as leader.
It’s like putting Chris Grayling in charge.

Some interesting responses. I guess the draw bridge is up and its the Island mentality then.

I hope everyone remembers that should we ever be in need.

I wonder what would have happened if the US had taken that mentality in WW2.

Erm, the US did take that mentality and only joined WW2 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Habour and dragged them into the way.

Do you really believe the EU would send us vaccines if the positions were reversed? Or do you think they would gloat and blame our woes on Brexit?

The WHO has suggested countries vaccinate their more vulnerable groups and then co-operate to get the same groups vaccinated worldwide. Vaccinating everyone in one country is not a solution and leaves that country vulnerable as variants multiply in others. The EU bungled vaccine planning and smashed an own goal over NI before sort of admitting as much. We still need to co-operate to get out of this.

Some interesting responses. I guess the draw bridge is up and its the Island mentality then.

I hope everyone remembers that should we ever be in need.

I wonder what would have happened if the US had taken that mentality in WW2.
We absolutely need to help the EU and the rest of the world to get out of this thing. We should send vaccines abroad rather than hogging loads but now isn't the right time to do that IMO.

The vaccines need to go where there is the most need. As we are regularly reminded on here the UK has one of the highest death rates in the world so are we not one of those with the most need for them? As an example on Friday we had 1200 deaths and the Netherlands had 56, but our population is only 4 times bigger than theirs.

I'm all up for sending some vaccines abroad but we should do it in a month or so when we've managed to control the deaths here. Then we should target countries with the highest rates.

There is what's 'fair' and there is saving people's lives.

Erm, the US did take that mentality and only joined WW2 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Habour and dragged them into the way

That was only against the Japs though.
Roosevelt had a difficult decision taken out of his hands , when Hitler declared war on the US , three days after Pearl Harbour.

Erm, the US did take that mentality and only joined WW2 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Habour and dragged them into the way.

Do you really believe the EU would send us vaccines if the positions were reversed? Or do you think they would gloat and blame our woes on Brexit?

The US could have focussed it efforts on defeating Japan in the pacific and not gotten involved in the European conflict. Germany was never going to sustain an invasion of North America so was no real risk to US soil.

Instead hundreds of thousands of young US men were sent to fight and die and came to the UK's aide. I'm not sure the UK would have held out without the US intervention.

Would the EU help us if the roles were reversed ? I don't honestly know.

Somebody has to start to rebuilt the post brexit relationship with our nearest neighbours. Might as well be us.

Which is the UK at the moment, seeing as we have the highest death toll and daily death toll in Europe.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't vaccinate the most at risk in the UK first. My question was at what point do we start to help the most at risk in the EU over the less risky groups in the UK

Somebody has to start to rebuilt the post brexit relationship with our nearest neighbours. Might as well be us.

Don't disagree with that but only once we've completed our vaccination programme. Not convinced Europe would be delaying its rollout to send vaccines over to the UK if the boot was on the other foot tbh.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't vaccinate the most at risk in the UK first. My question was at what point do we start to help the most at risk in the EU over the less risky groups in the UK

When we've vaccinated the people in the vulnerable groups as listed by the scientists/government.

If youi read what government ministers are saying in detail, rather than headlines, it's apparent that they are coinvinced of the need for co-operation. They are aware that vaccines will be sent abroad once our vulnerable groups are covered. Logical but credit where credit is due. It's some of the public and the press, who enjoy the drumbeat and politicians like to appear to march with it.