Coronavirus vaccine | Page 28 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

I don't see how they're "freeloaders"?

This suggests they're getting something for free. What would they be getting for free? An end to the pandemic?

What are those who take the vaccine paying? Why would a vaccinated person be worried about whether or not somebody else is vaccinated?

The only way this argument makes any sense is if there is a good reason NOT to take the vaccine, and that those who do have it are taking some kind of risk that those who don't wat to take it are somehow managing to sidestep.
Why avoid taking it then? Let someone else take the (albeit small) risk of side effects?

Shirley, if the vaccinations worked, then it would make no difference to a vaccinated person if there were non-vaccinated people around them because the vaccine would protect them from the disease. It would only be a problem if vaccination did not work. The c19 vaccine is said to be maybe ninety percent effective, which means that it is ten percent ineffective, hence, if you only allow vaccinated people into a ground/ plane or whatever, then ten percent of them could carry the disease because the vaccine was ineffective for them. Therefore allowing only vaccinated people into a ground/plane (for example) does not prevent the disease from that ground or plane, therefore, it is no different to allowing non-vaccinated people in. Anyway if the vaccine worked, then the ninety percent of vaccinated people for whom the vaccine was effective would be protected. It, therefore, makes no sense to only allow vaccinated people to circulate freely.......

Yesterday I heard that a quarter of those hospitalised by Corona are aged under 53. It doesn't just kill old wrinklies like me.

This is a slightly misleading statistic without looking at absolute numbers.

For under 53s, the odds of getting ill might be the same in 2021 as it was in 2020, but if the absolute number of over 53s getting ill is falling (death / caught, recovered, still has antibodies providing immunity) then the percentage of other groups getting ill increases.

I suspect in-part that a larger percentage of people under 53 are getting hospitalised because there are less older people around who are in a position to get it. And I bet the bulk of those getting ill are in their 40s and early 50s rather than the 20-somethings that are dumped into the equation.

A more meaningful statistic would be if the numbers said that in 2020 the number of under 53s being ill was 1 in 1000 people (under 53) but in 2021 it is now 1.5 people being ill in that age group.

Shirley, if the vaccinations worked, then it would make no difference to a vaccinated person if there were non-vaccinated people around them because the vaccine would protect them from the disease. It would only be a problem if vaccination did not work. The c19 vaccine is said to be maybe ninety percent effective, which means that it is ten percent ineffective, hence, if you only allow vaccinated people into a ground/ plane or whatever, then ten percent of them could carry the disease because the vaccine was ineffective for them. Therefore allowing only vaccinated people into a ground/plane (for example) does not prevent the disease from that ground or plane, therefore, it is no different to allowing non-vaccinated people in. Anyway if the vaccine worked, then the ninety percent of vaccinated people for whom the vaccine was effective would be protected. It, therefore, makes no sense to only allow vaccinated people to circulate freely.......

How do you decide the opt outs?

I think even if vaccinated, I'd prefer to be in a crowd with the highest possible number vaccinated. If mine's duff, I've a better chance in a crowd where nearly everyone's vaccinated. The more people without the vaccination, the greater the risk of it reaching me -even if I stay away from the tea bar and bogs (which is a non-starter as it happens).

US doctor was saying yesterday, 15 percent of those who get it are hospitalized and 50 percent of those hospitalized are dying at the moment. Ugh!

We don't know the full effectiveness of the vaccine and won't know for a while yet. It's a complicated business but just for starters if we vaccinate widely and numbers drop; how can we be sure what is driving the drop. Sounds simple but we will still have restrictions in place and there will be the legacy of them too. We have little proof of how it protects the elderly yet and how long any protection lasts. The vaccines are very good news but it's a long and winding road.

I don't pretend to inhabit the minds and belief structures of all the muslims in Britain. There are different branches, ethnicities and cultures and levels of education. They are best reached by the channels they know and trust rather like the rest of us. My authoritarian half sister is a fanatical catholic with complete faith and trust in the lord, unafraid of death and looking forward to meeting her mother in heaven. She is also looking forward to getting vaccinated and may even have received it already.

We don't know the full effectiveness of the vaccine and won't know for a while yet. It's a complicated business but just for starters if we vaccinate widely and numbers drop; how can we be sure what is driving the drop. Sounds simple but we will still have restrictions in place and there will be the legacy of them too. We have little proof of how it protects the elderly yet and how long any protection lasts. The vaccines are very good news but it's a long and winding road.

I don't pretend to inhabit the minds and belief structures of all the muslims in Britain. There are different branches, ethnicities and cultures and levels of education. They are best reached by the channels they know and trust rather like the rest of us. My authoritarian half sister is a fanatical catholic with complete faith and trust in the lord, unafraid of death and looking forward to meeting her mother in heaven. She is also looking forward to getting vaccinated and may even have received it already.

Clearly belief in an afterlife should be one of the criterion for determining where one is in the pecking order.

Do you belief in the afterlife?
Yes.
Are you currently in a state of grace?
To the best of my knowledge.
How sure are you of this on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is very and 10 = 7?
Better give me the shot.

"another might question just how they have managed to achieve this so quickly, in a record space of time?"

This was explained by Jonathan Van Tamm.
The part of producing a vaccine that takes the longest time is the testing, making the vaccine itself is a relatively short process.
In the past, getting numbers to test a vaccine has been difficult and costly but this vaccine has received unprecedented amounts of funding and has had thousands volunteer for testing.
He even added that, due to this funding, this has been THE most tested vaccine in history, hence the confidence in its efficiency.

My authoritarian half sister is a fanatical catholic with complete faith and trust in the lord, unafraid of death and looking forward to meeting her mother in heaven. She is also looking forward to getting vaccinated and may even have received it already.

I don't understand much about other people, but I find this completely bewildering.

This is a slightly misleading statistic without looking at absolute numbers.

For under 53s, the odds of getting ill might be the same in 2021 as it was in 2020, but if the absolute number of over 53s getting ill is falling (death / caught, recovered, still has antibodies providing immunity) then the percentage of other groups getting ill increases.

I suspect in-part that a larger percentage of people under 53 are getting hospitalised because there are less older people around who are in a position to get it. And I bet the bulk of those getting ill are in their 40s and early 50s rather than the 20-somethings that are dumped into the equation.

A more meaningful statistic would be if the numbers said that in 2020 the number of under 53s being ill was 1 in 1000 people (under 53) but in 2021 it is now 1.5 people being ill in that age group.
I think you are over analysing it somewhat. I was not making a profound and precise point, rather that people below 50 are getting ill and some seriously ill and even dying from the virus. The impression given to date has impled, imo, that only the ancient are realistically at risk.

This isn't a dig at Johnson by the way, so no need for auto defence.

I’m not too sure why so many are concerned about what others are doing.
If you want the vaccine, then have it when your turn comes.
If you don’t want it, then don’t have it.
It’s no skin off my nose if you want to take the risk.
If you then die, don’t come running to me.
It’s all about personal choice.
If I’m vaccinated, you can’t infect me.

Fair enough but just to be pedantic, there may be some people who for genuine reasons cannot have the vaccine. The more people have the vaccine, the safer they will be. I thought as a Labour Party member you'd be thinking more about the common good.

Last edited:
US doctor was saying yesterday, 15 percent of those who get it are hospitalized and 50 percent of those hospitalized are dying at the moment. Ugh!
It's not like that over here. We are getting 50,000 infections a day, 15% would mean that 7,500 would be hospitalised a day and 3,750 would die. The death rate is just over 10th of that (450 per day)

Problem is, we need about 70% to have it to gain herd immunity and get to the stage Jokerman speaks of above.
If football clubs, theatres etc want to have it as a condition of entry, thats up to them and I think many will.

Anyway, 8pm address from the PM tonight. I'm guessing (hoping) he'll not f*** about and will announce a lockdown as Scotland have

My view too. It's why i'm not up in arms when people breach - If I get it, that's down to me

Fair enough but just to be pedantic, there may be some people who for genuine reasons cannot have the vaccine. The more people have the vaccine, the safer they will be. I thought as a Labout Party member you'd be thinking more about the common good.
Absolutely, not sure if it affects anyone on here but one person with lip fillers has experienced a reaction 💋

My view too. It's why i'm not up in arms when people breach - If I get it, that's down to me
But is it? Supposing you suffer badly with it and end up in ICU?
I'd be a bit miffed if my wife also got it after actively assisting to the rules and was told there were no beds because you'd got the last one