Cook Out | Page 2 | Vital Football

Cook Out

Absolutely agree with that. I'm worried that if we beat Barnsley at home, it'll give the impression that things are getting better when they're not.

Barnsley are the weakest side in the division. If we beat them, it'll give Cook a few more games. If we don't, he's gone. On balance, and I truly hate myself for saying it, but if Cook is still in charge for that game, I want us to lose. If that's what it takes to force the board's hand, then I'll take one more loss. In the overall scheme of the whole season, one loss to save many more losses that would come may be a necessary evil.

But I also agree 100% that Unsworth is not the man. We need an experienced coach at this level.

Are Barnsley the weakest team in the league? I thought that was Charlton who are currently second with their newbie manager!

A team & Manager should not be judged after only 5 games.

I can't believe fans using the term loosely are wanting the team to lose on Saturday has as been seen in the past be careful what you wish for

We have been down this well trodden path before. Different folk were hoping for defeat to remove Roslar, Coyle , Malky and Joyce . There was a term used for this tendency at the time but it escapes me at the moment. I actually was so desperate to get rid of Uve I wanted us to lose a game. I was wrong then and everyone else who feels like this is wrong now. The team always comes first.

Are Barnsley the weakest team in the league? I thought that was Charlton who are currently second with their newbie manager!

A team & Manager should not be judged after only 5 games.

The point is he is not being judged on 5 games we have all seen what he can do last season. You can't say it's a new team as not many have played, he continues to play square pegs in round holes and his substitutions are bizarre. Along with most on here I really like Cooky as a man and really wanted him to succeed but sadly he is out of his depth now and for the betterment of the club we must let him go and find an experienced championship manager

When DO we judge then? Ten abject games? Twenty? When we're rock bottom by Christmas? Rock bottom in March? Relegated?

It's not league position per se. It's the manner of the performances (if we'd been marginally edged out in competitive games by bigger, richer sides, then no problem, that's real life for us), which demonstrate that we don't have the tactics, style, nous, or even backbone/heart/spirit to turn this around under the current manager. Even one of those things would be something to build on, but we have none. Cook, as well as being found out tactically at this level also seems to have lost the dressing room.

I'm not saying I want us to lose. What I WANT is for us to have some sort of epiphany this week and hammer Barnsley 6-0 then go on a winning run until the end of the season. Unfortunately, I'm cursed with realism, and the pragmatist in me says that if Cook's still in charge for the Barnsley game and losing one more match is what it takes to make the board's mind up, then mathematically, that one loss is a lesser evil than the several more losses his stay of execution will doubtless cost us.

We need to beat Barnsley for the points but the longer Cook stays in i can only see the chances of relegation increasing. If he does get a win on Saturday it probably kicks the can down the road again and puts off the inevitable - we will almost certainly be here again in a month with more points thrown away, confidence eroded further and maybe less choices of replacements. The next manager having a slightly harder and less appealing job is something we have to avoid as top candidates may think us being 5 games in and 1 adrift is not an issue but say 10 in, confidence demolished and 5 adrift is not a problem they want to inherit.

Assuming Cook is in charge on Saturday and it was a binary choice to beat Barnsley and Cook stays another month or lose to Barnsley and he goes immediately I'd take the loss and get him out. But I'm hoping it isn't a binary choice and we can have a scenario where a change of manager and 3 points is possible. I'd sack him during international break regardless of Barnsley result.

For me the priority is Cook gone for long term good of club but I'm hoping that a Barnsley win is simultaneously possible rather than mutually exclusive. Although I fear they may not be.

Last edited:
We need to beat Barnsley for the points but the longer Cook stays in i can only see the chances of relegation increasing. If he does get a win on Saturday it probably kicks the can down the road again and puts off the inevitable - we will almost certainly be here again in a month with more points thrown away, confidence eroded further and maybe less choices of replacements. The next manager having a slightly harder and less appealing job is something we have to avoid as top candidates may think us being 5 games in and 1 adrift is not an issue but say 10 in, confidence demolished and 5 adrift is not a problem they want to inherit.

Assuming Cook is in charge on Saturday and it was a binary choice to beat Barnsley and Cook stays another month or lose to Barnsley and he goes immediately I'd take the loss and get him out. But I'm hoping it isn't a binary choice and we can have a scenario where a change of manager and 3 points is possible. I'd sack him during international break regardless of Barnsley result.

For me the priority is Cook gone for long term good of club but I'm hoping that a Barnsley win is simultaneously possible rather than mutually exclusive.
Who do you have as your top targets?

1. Hughton
2. Monk
3. Rowett
4. Poyett
5. Garcia
6. Pulis

And which of these would you think is most likely to be woo'ed by our sales pitch of "come to our club, you'll be on a below average wage, working with a below average squad and will have a below average budget to strengthen, although unfortunately we've already spent most of this seasons money on below average players"

Don't get me wrong King, if Cook is shown the door I'd be ecstatic if anyone of the managers of the calibre you are suggesting replaced him (except Pulis) , I just honestly can't see any of them stooping so low. If he does get the boot I hope it's only after a few whispered conversations have been had and a quality replacement is already lined up.

Out of these managers who can work without money because they won’t have any so we will be limited to who will come

Out of these managers who can work without money because they won’t have any so we will be limited to who will come
If you want a cheap option with a track record of overachieving with no money over an extended time period - Keith Hill is available - may be another Cook level manager but commands respect of players rather than being mates as a minimum

I agree we should stand together as true supporters
You can support the club / team on the pitch whether or not you support the manager.
TBF this was the default position of many ticsmen during the Coyle, Mackay and Joyce tenures.
(Would never wish for a tics loss whatever the circumstances)
This will be my own position Saturday (if he's still in post) and any displeasure aimed at the manager will be at FT not during the game