Cook Out | Page 13 | Vital Football

Cook Out

There's plenty stuff I don't see eye to eye with Norm about, but your little witch hunt is just really, really childish and sad. Digging up his old posts? What are you, 12 years old? Did he scuff your new casey ball as well?

He calls Paul Cook names and you act like that? I don't agree with any personal criticism of Cook, but I can say with absolute conviction that he's a nice bloke who's woefully out of his depth managing in the Championship, and has to resign or be sacked sooner rather than later... But concocting a childish with hunt of someone who goes a bit too far..? That's pathetic. Sorry, you lot are far worse than Norm for me.

As for the digging up of old posts to try to make some point... people say all sorts of stuff when they're pissed off. Doesn't make them statements of fact.

You lot need to grow up. Seriously.

Last edited:
Well said.

Nothing personal against Cook....hell, I really dont...WE really dont want it to get to that extent.
Paul Cook. Remember him as a skilful, young midfield player with a great left foot.
Came back as manager having shown promise in the lower leagues. Did what he was asked to do, as we won League One. Nobody should ever try and say it was a mistake, or that his tenure has been a failure...thats ridiculous.

But its plain to see that at this moment in his managerial career, the Championship is a level out of his depth. Thats no shame, its just he has had more lower level experience amd hasnt got the quality contacts etc at this level. He is being easily out thought.

It will be better if he resigns than gets sacked, for everybody's sake. Nobody wants him ridiculed or to become a person disliked...I mean really disliked. He deserves more that that. Better than that.

But he's not going to be sacked is he or we would have accepted much less compo than the £ 1 mill requested. If Sunderland came back with an offer of 50 grand we would have snatched their hand off...if he was in danger of being binned off. As Judge Judy says " if it dont make sense then it's not true ".

There's plenty stuff I don't see eye to eye with Norm about, but your little witch hunt is just really, really childish and sad. Digging up his old posts? What are you, 12 years old? Did he scuff your new casey ball as well?

He calls Paul Cook names and you act like that? I don't agree with any personal criticism of Cook, but I can say with absolute conviction that he's a nice bloke who's woefully out of his depth managing in the Championship, and has to resign or be sacked sooner rather than later... But concocting a childish with hunt of someone who goes a bit too far..? That's pathetic. Sorry, you lot are far worse than Norm for me.

As for the digging up of old posts to try to make some point... people say all sorts of stuff when they're pissed off. Doesn't make them statements of fact.

You lot need to grow up. Seriously.

Sorry Pon, you are way off the mark. Norm stated he had never made the statement, Arthur was winding him up as Norm does to others. I provided the evidence that the statement was made, which I also qualified by my follow up post saying that we all knew he didn't mean it, I see nothing childish in that.

Your indignance surprises me. I take it you have never posted a wind up or referred to a posters historical statements. It is what people do on this board.

Norm makes statements that leave him open to criticism and a target for ridicule. Its what he does, he winds people up, makes sweeping statements that he cant/ wont back up and generally creates comment. There's nothing wrong with that.

There is no witch hunt or conspiracy against him, just normal banter, which he is quite capable of handling in his own way. As I said in my post, he wears his heart on his sleeve and often puts his keyboard in motion before he puts his mind in gear, but he gives as much as he takes and doesn't need defending.

But he's not going to be sacked is he or we would have accepted much less compo than the £ 1 mill requested. If Sunderland came back with an offer of 50 grand we would have snatched their hand off...if he was in danger of being binned off. As Judge Judy says " if it dont make sense then it's not true ".

Is he not?

Depends on our next few games. Lose at Bristol and then get nothing from Swansea, Itll be a shock if he stays....for me at least. Depends also on other results and if we end up in the bottom three.
Loyalty has its limits, at the end of the day. Going into Christmas in the bottom 3 won't be acceptable. Once the festive period is over, you are in the run-in in the blink of an eye. And would you trust him in the January window?

If they sack the manager I really don’t see who we bring in. The names I’ve heard have all lost their jobs because they were deemed as failures and have been vilified themselves on various fans forums. To my mind there are some Latics fans who would moan if we appointed Klopp.

Is he not?

Depends on our next few games. Lose at Bristol and then get nothing from Swansea, Itll be a shock if he stays....for me at least. Depends also on other results and if we end up in the bottom three.
Loyalty has its limits, at the end of the day. Going into Christmas in the bottom 3 won't be acceptable. Once the festive period is over, you are in the run-in in the blink of an eye. And would you trust him in the January window?

What Hindley is saying is probably right Tav, if the club had any intention of removing him they wouldn't have missed the opportunity to get rid without having to pay compensation. I would have probably taken your view if they had allowed Sunderland to speak to him. It seems to me that they are happy to retain his services for this season regardless of the away results. I doubt that any amount of pressure from the terraces or the forums will change this. They may change their minds if as you say we are in the bottom three around Christmas, but then they would be looking at paying a large compensation fee, so I have my doubts as to whether that will happen. It looks to me that the best vote of confidence they could have given him was to ask for the million pound compensation figure.

Sorry Pon, you are way off the mark. Norm stated he had never made the statement,

Hang on soft lad, when and where did i deny making that statement? I actually said i remember writing it.

Pon's right you and your sidekick need to grow up, too much time on your hands, maybe full time employment would'nt go a miss.

What statement are you referring to Norm?

The fact that you were never going to attend games whilst PC was in charge.
or
where and when did I say I don't attend home games bro ?

In the first post you told us you weren't attending games and in the second post you implied you hadn't said it. That's a denial.

What Hindley is saying is probably right Tav, if the club had any intention of removing him they wouldn't have missed the opportunity to get rid without having to pay compensation. I would have probably taken your view if they had allowed Sunderland to speak to him. It seems to me that they are happy to retain his services for this season regardless of the away results. I doubt that any amount of pressure from the terraces or the forums will change this. They may change their minds if as you say we are in the bottom three around Christmas, but then they would be looking at paying a large compensation fee, so I have my doubts as to whether that will happen. It looks to me that the best vote of confidence they could have given him was to ask for the million pound compensation figure.

Ita a clichè, but its a results driven business. If we went on a run now of 4 or 5 straight defeats, sinking into the bottom 3 and the relegation mire, I don't think they will have a choice.
But, if we lose at Bristol, beat Swansea and Brentford in back to back home games, then lose at Stoke and Millwall, he will keep his job on the back of the home wins.
If however we were to get nothing, or maybe only one point or three from those 5 games, he should be fired off.

So really anything less than winning those home games is not good enough. The fact that its almost an acceptance of us probably losing the away games shows how we have fell.
I've no doubt about what an important month November will be. Its the defining month for me, this season. We either pick up and pick up some vital points, or we get dragged down into the relegation scrap. If that happens, lets see how our attendances drop off even more and then something will have to give.

I think we all know the lay of the land by now - if IEC were bothered about results, performances, away form, style of football etc he'd have gone by now. Staying out of the bottom 3 appears to be the only metric that they are judging him on.

Until we are in the bottom 3 he is safe. After every game, no matter how frustrated we may feel or how ominus our prospects we need to look at where we are in the table - if we are 4th bottom on goal difference or higher then don't expect IEC to consider his position.

I don't think we'll be outside the bottom 3 for too long to be honest. Think Huddersfield, Stoke and Boro will all pull clear (the latter 2 possibly only after replacing their current managers). Barnsley are the only side I feel confident we'll finish above. I think IEC will be forced into a decision eventually as you need on average 47 points to stay in this league, we have to pretty much write off the away games meaning we need to likely pick up something like 33 points from our 17 home games. Doubt we can keep up the pace of averaging nearly 2 points per game at home - that is promotion form.

Last edited:
We have shills in the local press and now shills on ‘fans’ podcasts. The rotten tentacles of this club stymying debate and protecting Cook by offering favours.

Forums are now the only place where fans can speak freely.

I don't listen to the podcast but is it not possible people just view the situation differently rather than the club stymying debate or people shilling?

I think our fan base puts a lot of stock in if they actually like the manager as a person and it buys huge levels of benefit of the doubt / faith that simply wouldn't be afforded to a manager with identical results and performances but was less affable. I don't personally think if the manager comes accross as a dour or a nice guy changes anything it's about what happens on the pitch - but to a lot of people it makes the world of difference. I suspect there is more likely that sentiment behind a refusal to critique Cook rather than the club doing anything to silence anyone.

I think we all know the lay of the land by now - if IEC were bothered about results, performances, away form, style of football etc he'd have gone by now. Staying out of the bottom 3 appears to be the only metric that they are judging him on.

Until we are in the bottom 3 he is safe. After every game, no matter how frustrated we may feel or how ominus our prospects we need to look at where we are in the table - if we are 4th bottom on goal difference or higher then don't expect IEC to consider his position.

I don't think we'll be outside the bottom 3 for too long to be honest. Think Huddersfield, Stoke and Boro will all pull clear (the latter 2 possibly only after replacing their current managers). Barnsley are the only side I feel confident we'll finish above. I think IEC will be forced into a decision eventually as you need on average 47 points to stay in this league, we have to pretty much write off the away games meaning we need to likely pick up something like 33 points from our 17 home games. Doubt we can keep up the pace of averaging nearly 2 points per game at home - that is promotion form.
Stoke and Hudds will def get out. Boro not so sure - though they beat us !
Looking around lets hope Luton/Reading or some other bottom half team are worse than us.
It's disgraceful given the IEC summer investment we are rinse repeat of last season.

Stoke and Hudds will def get out. Boro not so sure - though they beat us !
Looking around lets hope Luton/Reading or some other bottom half team are worse than us.
It's disgraceful given the IEC summer investment we are rinse repeat of last season.

I think any team will beat us away so i dont think Boro beating us is any sign of their potential. Boro looked utter garbage despite actually having a decent side - Woodgate must be a terrible manager to make that side look so bad. I think he'll take them down if they kept him all season but I think he'll be gone soon and any passable manager will comfortably keep them up.

It frightened me that Cook thought we played well up there. That and the Derby game had to be 2 away wins - the opposition couldn't have played any worse to gift us the points but we are so hopeless away we couldn't take the free hits.

Reading have taken a gamble on Bowen but if he is even half decent he should keep them up as they've got a good set of players. Hopefully he turns out to be another Joyce but he's had a very respectable start so far.

Genuinely think we are 2nd worst sides in the league but actually haven't got the 2nd worst squad.

I think any team will beat us away so i dont think Boro beating us is any sign of their potential. Boro looked utter garbage despite actually having a decent side - Woodgate must be a terrible manager to make that side look so bad. I think he'll take them down if they kept him all season but I think he'll be gone soon and any passable manager will comfortably keep them up.

It frightened me that Cook thought we played well up there. That and the Derby game had to be 2 away wins - the opposition couldn't have played any worse to gift us the points but we are so hopeless away we couldn't take the free hits.

Reading have taken a gamble on Bowen but if he is even half decent he should keep them up as they've got a good set of players. Hopefully he turns out to be another Joyce but he's had a very respectable start so far.

Genuinely think we are 2nd worst sides in the league but actually haven't got the 2nd worst squad.

No, you're wrong. Enough evidence from last two games to suggest we are improving i.e. we were better than both Forest and Derby. The group are starting to gel under Cookie.

Any stattos know the least number of away points in a season - may be worth a punt

This could be the worst away record in the Championship, but I'm not certain.

2016/17 Rotherham Utd, (We also went down that season, the full table is below.)

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/league-table/2016-2017

Rotherhams away record that season was -

Played 23, Won 0. Drawn 2 Lost 21 - 2 points away all season. That will take some beating.

( BWFC went down in 2015/16 with 4 draws and 19 defeats - 4 points in total away from home.)

Last edited: