Cook My Biggest Achievement So Far | Page 5 | Vital Football

Cook My Biggest Achievement So Far

I am a Londoner and I have been reading your forum for a while now. I first started reading it because I had a lengthy chat with a member of your coaching staff. The person in question was explaining to me how your top earner is 16k a week and the average wage in the championship is 18k. I suggested is that the reason why Powell, Walton left and he agreed. He told me that's why they have been looking at young hungry players who haven't quite made at their prem clubs. I have had a couple of chats since the initial one and he has said to me as you know that goals is the problem (lack of them). I sometimes feel when I read these posts that there is no balance as posters are often saying they can't sack Cook due to finance so what makes them think a new manager will have more funds available?

I am a Londoner and I have been reading your forum for a while now. I first started reading it because I had a lengthy chat with a member of your coaching staff. The person in question was explaining to me how your top earner is 16k a week and the average wage in the championship is 18k. I suggested is that the reason why Powell, Walton left and he agreed. He told me that's why they have been looking at young hungry players who haven't quite made at their prem clubs. I have had a couple of chats since the initial one and he has said to me as you know that goals is the problem (lack of them). I sometimes feel when I read these posts that there is no balance as posters are often saying they can't sack Cook due to finance so what makes them think a new manager will have more funds available?
Despite the very bad start to your post - admitting you're a Londoner 😉 - welcome !
IMO the majority wouldn't expect a new manager to have more funds. They would however expect them to deliver more from the funds available on a consistent basis.

Since Cook is the one managing them now isnt he doing exactly what you said.
And who do you suggest comes in and play the young ones, and experinced bloke dealing with younger players one to bring them on...

We tried that and he was the worst manager we have ever had
🤡 absolutely is not managing the dev squads.
You want to keep him, despite the past 18 months bar a handful of games he's been atrocious that's fine crack on.
We need a fresh approach under an experienced champ level boss with a history of bringing dev squad players into first teams. Sure there are plenty to choose from and as long as they tick those boxes it would be ok for me.
Don't think Joyce was that - so poor example there as he'd never managed a first team before.

Point taken, as regards spending it more wisely. I always have the impression that they struggle to attract players for what they can offer hence the signings of Robinson, Williams (inexperienced players who want to play) or veteran players the likes of Marshall who want to play. I don't know the ins and outs like you fans but is it accepted that your top earner is on led than the average champ player?

Point taken, as regards spending it more wisely. I always have the impression that they struggle to attract players for what they can offer hence the signings of Robinson, Williams (inexperienced players who want to play) or veteran players the likes of Marshall who want to play. I don't know the ins and outs like you fans but is it accepted that your top earner is on led than the average champ player?
Less than sorry, excuse my poor grammatical skills as well please

Not sure about the actual average wage but it would seem about right. Having said that we did splash best part of £10m in transfer fees in the summer which was not shabby.
Thing is are weekly wages a good measure ?
In a London context - is Ozil a better player than Kane ?🤣

I understand all of it. But dont get what you mean. Do you mean that we havnt got the money to Sack Cook, if thats correct who on gods planet do you (not spefically you ) think we can afford to get in?

It wont be Allerdyce or Pulis a couple of names mentioned, both will cost a fortune we havnt got (the owners are chucking a millon a month to stop us going bust) and play football that makes Cooks look like Brazil...............

You understand......... but don't get what I mean?

Yes, I tend to agree with the view that the main reason why Cook hasn't gone is because it would cost too much. However, I haven't been one of those calling for him to go since well before Christmas. ...... which is why I've given no thought whatsoever as to who might replace him.

........And as for the reasonable argument on here. Its all the same its Cook out Cook out Cook out. Some one put a post on saying why is it so quite on here and why are people not posting..........

It's all "Cook out" for some ....... not so for others. Personally, I think the board's comparatively busy at the moment.

......Its got very boring thats why. Disagree that Cook should be sacked and you are called a Fisher amongst other things. you are allowed an opinion as long as its not your own.

As a football forum, the fate of the Manager is always going to be a big part of the discussion.........especially when the team isn't doing great.

As for opinions, of course we're all allowed to voice ours. Just because others then respond in disagreement doesn't mean that you should keep quiet.

Post what you think, and don't worry about the response of others.

🤡 absolutely is not managing the dev squads.
You want to keep him, despite the past 18 months bar a handful of games he's been atrocious that's fine crack on.
We need a fresh approach under an experienced champ level boss with a history of bringing dev squad players into first teams. Sure there are plenty to choose from and as long as they tick those boxes it would be ok for me.
Don't think Joyce was that - so poor example there as he'd never managed a first team before.

joyce had managed a first team, but its ok that you dont know these things,

And who do you suggest then, who meets your critera, an experinced championshp manager that has a history of brining young players on?

You understand......... but don't get what I mean?

Yes, I tend to agree with the view that the main reason why Cook hasn't gone is because it would cost too much. However, I haven't been one of those calling for him to go since well before Christmas. ...... which is why I've given no thought whatsoever as to who might replace him.

It's all "Cook out" for some ....... not so for others. Personally, I think the board's comparatively busy at the moment.

As a football forum, the fate of the Manager is always going to be a big part of the discussion.........especially when the team isn't doing great.

As for opinions, of course we're all allowed to voice ours. Just because others then respond in disagreement doesn't mean that you should keep quiet.

Post what you think, and don't worry about the response of others.

If I cared what some of the muppets on here thought id be a tragic person

joyce had managed a first team, but its ok that you dont know these things,

And who do you suggest then, who meets your critera, an experinced championshp manager that has a history of brining young players on?
Don't think a pseudo player manager of a failing L2 club or Utd's belgian feeder club counts but it's OK that you wouldn't understand this
Also not suggesting anyone specifically - as i said in the original post a proven champ manager with a history of developing kids - do keep up

Welcome to the board CockleyPie, I take it you're not a Wigan fans who do you support?

As Hampton said it's not about spending more, most folks were pretty happy that we had a mid table squad and would be happy for a season of consolidation staying clear of relegation. But until reccently we've been playing well below what we should be capable of. We were not learning from mistakes, we were playing very negative and ugly football - results and performances were both very poor. If I'm remembering the numbers correctly we were down to something like 17% win ratio, 2 away wins in 36, no win in 14, we have dropped something like 31 points from winning positions, conceeded so many set pieces due to not marking properly and so many last minute goals - all our stats were terrible. Everything was terrible to be honest and we looked a team certain to go down. A change looked our only hope and long overdue - I don't think any manager at any level would've survived the type of spell we had but for whatever reason our board didn't pull the trigger (theory is they don't want to pay off hefty remaining contract).

Thankfully last few weeks we've bucked up and this past 7 days has turned around our season. Hopefully this good run will keep going but it's been a painful and soul destroying season until reccently.