Cook My Biggest Achievement So Far | Page 3 | Vital Football

Cook My Biggest Achievement So Far

I'm resigned to the fact that Cook is going to see the season out with us, even if we do stay up i would expect him to be clearing his desk first thing on the 3rd May, two seasons in the Championship with him at the helm has took its toll on the fans.

And if we go down?......The feeling is still the same, Cook has already out stayed is welcome!

I'm resigned to the fact that Cook is going to see the season out with us, even if we do stay up i would expect him to be clearing his desk first thing on the 3rd May, two seasons in the Championship with him at the helm has took its toll on the fans.

And if we go down?......The feeling is still the same, Cook has already out stayed is welcome!
Serious question Norm ............. if .......and I accept it's a big "if", ............ if we were to play like last night in most games (win/lose or draw), would you not be willing to give Cook another crack in the Championship?

Would it be so terrible ?

Serious question Norm ............. if .......and I accept it's a big "if", ............ if we were to play like last night in most games (win/lose or draw), would you not be willing to give Cook another crack in the Championship?

Definitely not! We are more or less in the same boat as last season, awful tactics, mind numbing substitutions, throwing games/points away, i for one expected a bit more this season, to push on, to establish ourselves in the Championship.

We seem to have taken a backward step, Cook pulled a rabbit from the hat last season to keep us up, he could do it again (hopefully) we don't want a manager or players that can only do the business at the back end of the season when we are in shit street, we need new blood and fresh ideas for next season.

And that goes for the hierarchy at the club as well.

OK. You appear to have ignored the gist of my question, and instead, chose to focus on the poor stuff that we've seen earlier in the season.

Last season, we'd a good start, shitty middle, and a decent finish.
This season, we'd a poor start that continued until a few games ago ......... but all the way throughout that run of games, we've played OK at times ........ just not consistently throughout the game.

I've heard a stat that shows if the league was based on half time scores, we'd be in second, a point behind West Brom.

The last few games have seen a much better approach to closing out games, finishing well, and not conceding late goals.

His substitutions last night (or Saturday) weren't numb. His tactics weren't awful.

It sounds like you've made up your mind that regardless of what Cook & the team do from now to the end of the season, you want rid. Fair enough, but do you want rid merely to justify your whinging throughout the earlier part of the season? I'd say so.

Moonay. I can’t speak for Stormin but I can’t imagine anyone wouldn’t want Cook to pull off another miracle and keep us up. However he’s demonstrated over two seasons under performance and personally I would like shut now and certainly even in the summer even if he pulled off this miracle.

Moonay. I can’t speak for Stormin but I can’t imagine anyone wouldn’t want Cook to pull off another miracle and keep us up. However he’s demonstrated over two seasons under performance and personally I would like shut now and certainly even in the summer even if he pulled off this miracle.

Nah, read the question. It's not about whether or not he merely keeps us up. It'a about how we play until the end of the season.

When Cook (and the team) get it right, then the football's great. Admittedly, he hasn't got it right nearly often enough recently, but last night was a massive shot in the arm.

Finish the season playing like that ......as I said, win, lose or draw ....... and regardless of whether we stay up or go down, I'd still turn up to see that every week.

Nah, read the question. It's not about whether or not he merely keeps us up. It'a about how we play until the end of the season.

When Cook (and the team) get it right, then the football's great. Admittedly, he hasn't got it right nearly often enough recently, but last night was a massive shot in the arm.

Finish the season playing like that ......as I said, win, lose or draw ....... and regardless of whether we stay up or go down, I'd still turn up to see that every week.

Last night was all we ask for as fans - positive, hard working and committed. We went out there swinging for the fences and win, lose or draw if we got that every week then i don't think there would be any questioning of Cook as a manager regardless of league position. Just got to produce it regulary - if Cook can do that he will win folks back round. I don't believe that many people even dislike Cook that much - just question his suitablity to be in charge based on results and performances. But if results and performances improve then opinions will change with them.

Right, most know my opinion on PC nowadays, lest no one knows I was a massive fan of Cook all through his career and followed it closely as I used to know him for a time in his young days with us and was thrilled to bits when he came home.
However after a good first season in L1 where the players were far too good for that league he has desperately struggled to manage with players not the best in this league. He has just not cut it at Championship level where it takes more nous and managerial ability to succeed.
I put our recent upturn on a couple of things we have recently started to have a little good fortune and I think despite Cooky the players may have forged a siege mentality which may or may not be because a certain supposed bad apple has left the club. I also think the new centre back has helped.
So to answer Moonay's question yes we definitely need a clean sweep in the summer

Performances are sporadic and there are so many other issues with this bloke. My answer is still the same, get shut at the earliest opportunity.

I was a great advocate of PC, but sadly my opinion of him changed over the last season and a half.

I seriously believe he is too set in his ways to manage at this level. He has a belief in his system, which is not a bad thing to have, but he unfortunately seems unable to accept that one size fits all doesn't always work.

He has stubbornly refused to see that some players are not up to the challenge of this division, but his ego will not allow him to drop them, and continues to give them first team games ahead of others who are more adept to the challenge. His substitutions are for the most times baffling, to say the least, and on many occasions have lead to late goals being conceded.

Although I still believe we will avoid the drop, and to give credit were it is due, his tactics last night were right and the players carried out his instructions to get us the win, over the season he has got it wrong more times than he has got it right.

Unless there is a serious change in attitude and a greater understanding from him of the difficulties of playing in this division then we would be foolish to retain his services come the end of the season.

The problem is, I don't think the owners see it this way. I believe there is an element of finance involved in their thinking and sacking a manager and staff is costly. For a club of our size it could be the difference between signing the players you need to have a competitive squad or languishing in the relegation places for another season. I don't see them sacking Cook and I would not be surprised to see him in charge at the beginning of the next season.

"If", and as you accept it would be a big if, we continued to play on the front foot against all opposition for the remaining games of the season Cook would no doubt remain in place and the question would become rather a moot point.

However I think for many on here, probably myself included, the damage has been done and Cooks reputation has been forever tarnished. I fear many will not forgive nor forget and the first sign of slippage would bring back the "cook out" campaigners in numbers. I think it is seriously time for the club and Cook to part ways, amicably if possible, but part they must to clear the air and put an end to the conflict between manager and a seeming majority of fans if the polls are to be believed.

It is a pity as he started off with such good feelings and many of us thought that he would be here for many years to come possibly guiding us up the leagues but that relationship has soured and for some will never be healed.

I still believe we need to get behind the team and leave this debate for later but I seriously doubt that will happen, even with performances and results like last night. Sad Really.

Summed up my earlier post in one sentence, :thumbup: Moonay can't seem to grasp it though.

Oh, I grasped what Zakky, MiW, TB & KDZ all said Norm. Decent posts from all of them. I respect their opinions too (even if only KDZ, like me, seems to be willing to give Cook a longer chance).

Keep on working on sensible posts though, and who knows, one day, I might respect your opinions too.
(y)
:cheers:
;)

Oh, I grasped what Zakky, MiW, TB & KDZ all said Norm. Decent posts from all of them. I respect their opinions too (even if only KDZ, like me, seems to be willing to give Cook a longer chance).

Keep on working on sensible posts though, and who knows, one day, I might respect your opinions too.
(y)
:cheers:
;)

Willing, No.
Acceptance of, Yes.

For me Moonay, the big 'if' n playing like we did last night was to continue with PC then I'd have to have a rethink ( alongside some humble pie) about keeping PC, but added to that would be the lingering doubt in the back of my mind that would he then revert to type. Good question tho n easy to see others points of views.

For me Moonay, the big 'if' n playing like we did last night was to continue with PC then I'd have to have a rethink ( alongside some humble pie) about keeping PC, but added to that would be the lingering doubt in the back of my mind that would he then revert to type. Good question tho n easy to see others points of views.
Good point Jock that lingering doubt thing.
From another viewpoint if your lass had been cheating on you for ages and got caught out would you forgive if for a couple of nights she made you a nice tea ?🤔