Connor Wickham | Page 8 | Vital Football

Connor Wickham

They are in 14th and haven't lost for 7-8 matches. Think they look good to avoid relegation even without Wickham, unless I'm missing something.

Tis true that Charlton is in a far better league position than it was a few weeks ago (mind you, they`ve played more games than every other L1 club and two or more than some beneath them in the current standings), but my point was centred on Wickham, being a good capture.

I don't think Ladapo is exactly ripping it up either. He was on the bench on Saturday with Wickham while young Kanu has been partnering May.

Quite a wedge of salaries there.
Add to that Chuks Aneke and Miles Leaburn that’s six strikers Charlton have to pick from when all fit. If anything their squad is a bit strikers heavy in the same way ours is strikers light!

“Connor Wickham” is making a good case for getting its own entry in the Blues Rock MB User’s Handbook as a type of thread that meanders or, better still, is about something that never actually happened. Thus future generations will refer to a thread as “a bit of a Wickham, really” knowing exactly what they mean without having a clue why. It even has rhyming slang potential.

Tis true that Charlton is in a far better league position than it was a few weeks ago (mind you, they`ve played more games than every other L1 club and two or more than some beneath them in the current standings), but my point was centred on Wickham, being a good capture.
I think everyone agrees that a fully match fit Wickham is a good player. It is his fitness, and therefore value for money, that is being questioned.

Coming on as a late sub for the Spotters and knocking on a few long balls in his first game when it is nearly mid March doesn't actually dispel all those doubts.

“Connor Wickham” is making a good case for getting its own entry in the Blues Rock MB User’s Handbook as a type of thread that meanders or, better still, is about something that never actually happened. Thus future generations will refer to a thread as “a bit of a Wickham, really” knowing exactly what they mean without having a clue why. It even has rhyming slang potential.
Let it go, let it go
He wasn't coming here after all
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and close your phone
I don't care what your going to say
Let the storm please stop
Connor Wickham never bothered me anyway.

Last edited:
I think everyone agrees that a fully match fit Wickham is a good player. It is his fitness, and therefore value for money, that is being questioned.

Coming on as a late sub for the Spotters and knocking on a few long balls in his first game when it is nearly mid March doesn't actually dispel all those doubts.
He`s been out of regular playing for a long while, don`t suppose many would have expected him to be a 90 minute guy. As shotshy mentioned a while back, someone like Wickham, with his undoubted skill-set, would be an attractive proposition for a club as an impact sub ! That appears to be his role at Charlton - and would have been had he come to GFC. Value for money ? Who knows - who knows the details of his contract ? Staff at Charlton do and they must think the deal`s worthwhile.