Connor Wickham | Vital Football

Connor Wickham

vinney

Vital Reserves Team
Fred on FB has said that Connor Wickham has been in discussions with a " minority shareholder"
Someone else has said they spoke to Brad on Saturday and he also said someone is joining this week

That would be interesting if true. Clearly has a streak of quality about him, but also seems to be injury prone and not particularly mobile. I don't think FGR fans were too gutted to lose him last year. If this has legs, though, it suggests that we're in the shit with our injuries and not expecting many of them back before season's end. I'm all in favour of any half-decent up front reinforcements we can find at this point. Can't be worse than Bonne can he?

ANY other option up front will be a bonus.

He and Oli are similar players so could do 45 minutes each whilst Josh Andrews is being groomed to replace both of them once he recovers from injury.

Hope it’s true (even if it doesn’t come off) as it shows a sign of intent and that Brad and co recognise that we are still lacking up front in a big way and trying to do something about it. As much as Saturday was massively positive, we didn’t really look like scoring in open play (and I can’t really see that changing) and we have little off of the bench to change things. If we can get a proven goalscorer, I think we’ll walk the playoffs, given the inconsistency in the division.

I’d imagine that the deal would be some kind of pay as you play deal.
Possibly on a rolling monthly contract until the end of the season.
Otherwise it’s a bit of a risk.
Rather promote Gbode or Sithole who can both add pace.

Mixed feelings if this is true. Undoubtedly talented but rather injury prone & largely unfulfilled career for his ability. Pay as you play deal hopefully & perhaps shows Clemence's assessment of Gbode & Sithhole likely impact at this level.

Not unhappy with this, would be a sensible option to give us a bit more to work with for the run-in.

Would assume that any possible deal would be at least in part with a view to not having to run Hawkins into the ground a couple of times a week, especially given Andrews' setback (hopefully doesn't hint at his latest injury being too significant, but fear it might)

Would be very happy to see Gbode or Sithole making the squad if Clemence thinks they're up to it, but we're very short on physical presence and experience up front should Oli be unavailable and might be a bit of a stretch relying on either of those two to lead the line.

He is not a "proven goal scorer" as he usually averages about a goal every 5 or 6 games.

Doesn't look like he has played since the end of last season so how long would it take to get him match fit, as it will be March by the time of our next game?

If the deal makes sense, at least it would be another option up front for the run in, which it looks like we need.

He is not a "proven goal scorer" as he usually averages about a goal every 5 or 6 games.

Doesn't look like he has played since the end of last season so how long would it take to get him match fit, as it will be March by the time of our next game?

If the deal makes sense, at least it would be another option up front for the run in, which it looks like we need.
To be fair GBN, he wouldn’t have to get fully match fit if Clem used him as an impact sub near to the end of games.
Even a not match fit professional can run for ten or fifteen minutes to see a match out.
Personally, as I said, I’d prefer to use our own youth players if possible.

Has played at a much higher level than we currently occupy in League 2 and therefore hopefully he will add a much better cutting edge than we currently have.

Always rated him when he was at Palace and hopefully he can score a few goals and win us a few games

I hope this is BS and the player we really interested in is sopmeone entirely different.
It. would make sense if they were a bit more mobile so Clemence could have the option of playing him and Hawkins.
I can't see Hawkins and Wickham working together.There doesn't appear to be much available in the UK.
But there was a story on Facebook which many dismissed about this 24.year old former Arsenal player Robbie Burton.I quite like that as a concept someone who has unfulfilled potential.Robbie might be a temporary replacement for Jefferies .As a player would probably be no go.But the idea of signing a player who has ability but never had opportunities would be a good one for me.Short term deal would spur them on.

Has played at a much higher level than we currently occupy in League 2 and therefore hopefully he will add a much better cutting edge than we currently have.

Always rated him when he was at Palace and hopefully he can score a few goals and win us a few games

He did quite well at FGR in League One so theoretically has got the ability and quality of finish to do a job for us. It's concerning that he's not played since the end of last season, though hopefully as a seasoned pro he's kept himself in shape.

9 in 20 for Forest Green in all competitions, though, which I think is the most relevant stat for us, being that it's his most recent contract and also closest to our level. That's in a team that came bottom and scored 31 goals all season, as well.

Last edited:
Not proific, but he’s scored about 5 times as many league goals as Andrews, Walker and Hurtado combined, with two of those injured and Walker clearly so poorly thought of by the manager that he’s playing an out of form winger, in Clark, and a struggling Nadesan ahead of him, we definitely need to supplement the transfer window additions. A pay as you play deal or short term contract surely can only be a positive for him and the club?

Last edited: