Connor Wickham | Page 3 | Vital Football

Connor Wickham

If that's the deal then ok but why has nobody signed him - if he's that good?

I suspect he’s no longer “that good”. I also suspect he wants a big wage based on his obvious quality if fit. But now in late Feb, he might have to lower his expectations or sit out another 3 months getting nowt.

But for L2 he should be plenty good enough. Besides, who’s available out there that you’d prefer and would be better than him?

Williams - not delivered.
Malone - i'm 50/50
Masterson - hit.
Mahoney - not delivered
Ogie - ups and downs
Hutton - hit

All opinions, but I reckon most would say Williams and Ogie definitely hit. And Mahoney has often been a class above (and scored more than most) even if inconsistent. Same for Malone.

But even if not “hits”, can recruitment be blamed if quality players (that Malone and Mahoney undoubtedly are) then perform poorly (in your opinion).

I mean, if we had signed Alfie May and he didn’t score many, is that a recruitment issue? Or something else?

Btw, I’m not standing up for the recruitment team. We have severely lacked goals and pace, that’s definitely on them.

All opinions, but I reckon most would say Williams and Ogie definitely hit. And Mahoney has often been a class above (and scored more than most) even if inconsistent. Same for Malone.

But even if not “hits”, can recruitment be blamed if quality players (that Malone and Mahoney undoubtedly are) then perform poorly (in your opinion).

I mean, if we had signed Alfie May and he didn’t score many, is that a recruitment issue? Or something else?

Btw, I’m not standing up for the recruitment team. We have severely lacked goals and pace, that’s definitely on them.
I’d say WX is being a bit harsh and you a bit generous on those players.

Ogie, Masterson and Hutton definitely hits. Williams still a miss for me at the moment (time to change that) - he scored 10 for a Swindon last season and was their top scorer, has had his moments and always whole hearted, but not scored in a meaningful match and I don’t think he’s lasted 90 mins; he must be on a good wage and should be the first player on the team sheet with his pedigree, but he’s not. Mahoney is probably on a decent whack too and I’d say he’s 50/50 - class when he’s performing but inconsistent. Malone overall a hit, but largely been a notch down since Harris left and rightly kept out by Clarke now. Again, he must be on a good wage and could be playing above this level, so he really should be one of the first on the team sheet and is being kept out by someone off less pedigree at the moment.

I suspect he’s no longer “that good”. I also suspect he wants a big wage based on his obvious quality if fit. But now in late Feb, he might have to lower his expectations or sit out another 3 months getting nowt.

But for L2 he should be plenty good enough. Besides, who’s available out there that you’d prefer and would be better than him?
What about Reo Griffiths released by Mutual consent due to illness in November by Doncaster. Past potential at Spurs and Lyon .Just 23

What about Reo Griffiths released by Mutual consent due to illness in November by Doncaster. Past potential at Spurs and Lyon .Just 23

Do we want “potential” as a stop gap for 3 months? Would sooner a gnarly old pro for mine. And a rotation/fill in for Hawk to help him out until Andrews is fit.

Also, just seen on wiki - “In January 2024, it was reported that Griffiths was playing Sunday league football in the Essex Corinthian League for Critics FC.[8]

Not sure that’s the right guy for a L2 promotion push.

Do we want “potential” as a stop gap for 3 months? Would sooner a gnarly old pro for mine. And a rotation/fill in for Hawk to help him out until Andrews is fit.

Also, just seen on wiki - “In January 2024, it was reported that Griffiths was playing Sunday league football in the Essex Corinthian League for Critics FC.[8]

Not sure that’s the right guy for a L2 promotion push.
Rated enough at a 17 year old to play for England at a time of excellent competition.Clemence is rated as a coach we have been saying for years that we needed to look at Premier League cast offs .I believe Clemence is the right person to find and develop that type of player.Wickham has been there and done it but we have enough slow been there players in my opinion.We need a few more hungry players.Time Wickham would be fit Andrews should be available.Then we would have three players for one place and nobody that great for the other.

Rated enough at a 17 year old to play for England at a time of excellent competition.Clemence is rated as a coach we have been saying for years that we needed to look at Premier League cast offs .I believe Clemence is the right person to find and develop that type of player.Wickham has been there and done it but we have enough slow been there players in my opinion.We need a few more hungry players.Time Wickham would be fit Andrews should be available.Then we would have three players for one place and nobody that great for the other.

Agree, coach players for the future and Reo might join for that purpose. But why not wait till summer? No rush. We don’t need a younger attacking mid who’s been playing Sunday park football, “right now”.

At this moment in time I think we need someone to impact forward areas over the next 12 games, not next year. We’ll have Hawk & Andrews for that. If he can prove himself ready to go then Wickham fits that bill. Obviously not if he’s gonna take a month to “get up to speed”. Also depends if he’s willing to take a short term offer.

I also suspect that if we do get someone like Connor Wickham in, then it means Andrews is a fair way off being fit. Big pity, I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Agree, coach players for the future and Reo might join for that purpose. But why not wait till summer? No rush. We don’t need a younger attacking mid who’s been playing Sunday park football, “right now”.

At this moment in time I think we need someone to impact forward areas over the next 12 games, not next year. We’ll have Hawk & Andrews for that. If he can prove himself ready to go then Wickham fits that bill. Obviously not if he’s gonna take a month to “get up to speed”. Also depends if he’s willing to take a short term offer.

I also suspect that if we do get someone like Connor Wickham in, then it means Andrews is a fair way off being fit. Big pity, I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do.

One of the scans Andrews has had suggests the injury is quite bad but he’s not feeling too bad.

Going for another scan today or Thursday. I pray that we heavily err on the side of caution here.

One of the scans Andrews has had suggests the injury is quite bad but he’s not feeling too bad.

Going for another scan today or Thursday. I pray that we heavily err on the side of caution here.
Strongly agree and I'd revise my original reaction to Connor Wickham rumours. The slightest concern about Andrews and it's a good option.

We always knew that Andrews was injured, so there was a chance he couldn’t play for a while and Clemence made it clear it was a chance move when the opportunity came up late on with a view to long term.

That makes getting in just Walker and Hurtado and losing Nichols and Bonne all the more bizarre. Of course, we did not know that Hurtado would get injured straight away, but he had played one game in English football and a handful of senior games all in and Walker I think had scored three league goals before coming to us. So in short, we were relying on them, a not fully fit and injury prone Hawkins and a chronically out of form Nadesan to shoot us to promotion. Given that we ended up with the desperation signings of a Bonne and Nadesan in the summer, we seriously need to look at our recruitment for next season.

Hawkins return to fitness, Nadesan hinting at better form in the second half v Wrexham, keeping our fingers crossed about Andrews and Hurtado and the potential addition of a free agent or two like Wickham may just give us enough to squeeze in the playoffs, but we really must do better.